PDA

View Full Version : How to Paint

FishRTasty
06/04/2006, 10:08 AM
I'm in the planning stages of a DIY stand and canopy, and had a few questions about how to go about painting the wood.

I've seen really beautiful stands painted solid black with a very smooth, glossy, clean surface. I'm not sure how it's done (kind of paint/sanding procedure/ finish was used,) and was hoping to get some help or points to links here.

For reference, this is what I'd like to duplicate: Stand (http://www.reefgeek.com/products/categories/aquariums/103163.html)

Hobster
06/04/2006, 05:38 PM
I would think that besides a thorough sanding, then sealing. The paint would probably be a black lacquer sprayed on.
Not really sure, just a guesstimate.

dalbrecht
06/04/2006, 07:23 PM
It doesn't need be sprayed on you just need to sand between coats, put layers of gloss poly ontop of the black and I would look at a penetrating ebony stain instead of a black paint as the first coat.

FishRTasty
06/06/2006, 07:09 PM
Thanks a bunch guys, just to make sure I understand.

1. Sand thoroughly
2. Seal wood
3. Paint on ebony stain
4. Sand thoroughly
5. Paint on black lacquer

Is that how it should be done?

xdusty6920
06/07/2006, 12:32 AM
heres what id do:
sand thoroughly
stain with a dark stain (doesnt have to be black because its just your base but use the darkest stain you can find)
light sand again
seal the wood
light sand
paint on black lacquer
light sand
2nd coat black lacquer
light sand
clear coat with polyurethane
this should give you a very sleek smooth black finished stand. light sands in between each application is important. rather you use brush, roller, spray, or rag it on. no matter what method you will get some texture and you want to sand that fine texture away. but dont overdue it and sand all the way through the coat youve just applied. post some pics when your done with the stand and let us see how it comes out.

scrager
06/07/2006, 08:59 AM
those manufactured stands are usually particle board with a black plastic type veneer on them

but you can get a glossy black finish on wood with the above steps.

another key is not to overwork your laquer or polyurathane when you put it on. you want to put it on thick enough that it will spread itself flat and smooth, but not too thick that it runs or drips. if you put it on too thin, then you'll easily see the brush/roller marks. so put it on and leave it, don't keep brushing it as it dries.

FishRTasty
06/07/2006, 07:07 PM
Thanks for all your help guys. That set of instructions makes it alot clearer. I'll be sure to post pics step by step.

:D