PDA

View Full Version : Thinking about going to a 120g

Deweys Dad
06/04/2006, 05:34 PM
Does this 120 gal look like a decent deal to you all? I've wanted an acrylic tank for a long time now, and I think I'm finally going to take the plunge. The manufacturer is local to me so I wouldn't have to pay the shipping. He also has a 70g I'm considering...

*ebaly links removed*

Right now I just have a 35g glass tank with a 15g sump. I'm trying to get a realistic idea of how much money I'd have to spend getting this 120g ready to go. I've never run a tank larger than 55g so I'm pretty much in the dark here. I currently have a cheap skimmer rated only for 65g, dual 175 MHs, a small 15g sump, and that's about it for equipment. Undoubtedly all of that would have to be upgraded, but I plan on doing most of it myself (at least the sump, stand, canopy and lighting).

Can you guys help me list other things I'd have to come up with to make this large of a tank successful? Also, would I be getting in over my head going from a 35g to a 120g? Perhaps if I went with the 70g I could keep most of my equipment and not have to fork out as much cash to get it going.

Teremei
06/04/2006, 06:00 PM
That's quite a bit for an accrylic. I'd go to the reef central arizona club section here and ask if there are any local manifactures that are well respected in your area.

BTW you'll have to remove the ebay links. It's just the rules here.

Avi
06/04/2006, 06:52 PM
You can take some measures to keep your costs down if that's an issue. For example, you can make your own sump/refugium using a fish tank and cutting the baffles yourself (or having them cut) and installing them yourself. Sell your old equipment because you'd be far better off upgrading your light to two 250-watt metal halides. Some things you won't be able to skimp on like a protein skimmer that's rated for (well) over the 120-gallons that you are talking about.

There's no doubt that a 120's expensive, but you won't be sorry if you do it. There's a ton of room, though after a while, even the 120-gallons seems a little small. It's sick but that's the way it goes.