PDA

View Full Version : tank drilling

rsxs1212
06/04/2006, 06:52 PM
ok well i cant find a 55-75 Reef ready tank on here and i just cant convince myself to pay 220 for just the tank that is drilled at my lfs. OK i guess my question is what i the best level to put the holes at??? i know the bottom is nice just for the fact of not being seen and such but the tank i would get would probably have a tempered bottom (petsmart or equivalent) i will also probably buy 1 or 2 ten gallon tanks to practice with. i read a thread about drilling gladd tanks and it seems pretty easy as long as you take your time. Like i said what is the optimum level for the bulkheads to go?? thanks

dalbrecht
06/04/2006, 07:19 PM
I would put it close to the top so that you could do a calfo style overflow. Maybe 2 or 3 inches from the top with an overflow box that doesn't go the entire height of the tank. This way you don't loose a lot of space for the overflow.

pheel
06/04/2006, 07:20 PM
mine is at the back at 6 inches from the top and 6 inches from the right side. I have seen other setup like mine and it looks nice IMO

mfinn
06/04/2006, 07:23 PM
Mine is also 6" from the top and 6" in from the side. I use a 2" pvc 90 and a 1" piece of 2" pvc pipe with a small amount of gutter guard

rsxs1212
06/04/2006, 07:33 PM
thats interesting....thanks for all the quick responses. So for the overflow box. i assume you want the teeth above water level. how high?? i wouldnt imagine you need them much higher than the water level and also how far down should the slits go?? much further down or what? this is mainly if not all going to be DIY and im pretty much new at this so need as much help as possible. Once i get started it should go pretty quick. Anyway back to the box,.....

mfinn
06/04/2006, 07:49 PM
I don't use a box at all. Just the pvc 90 on the inside of the tank.

rsxs1212
06/04/2006, 07:55 PM
thats interesting. i would imagine you need a constant tank level so you still get surface skim but it seem alot easier than having a whole box