PDA

View Full Version : 180gal sump plan. looks good?

futrtrubl
06/04/2006, 11:17 PM
http://www.edowner.net/aquarium-sump-render.gif
That's the sump. As you can see I don't have an exactly normal situation since at the lab we have 24/7 sea water. The 2 black boxes on the left are Tunze skimmers, and the 4 on the right are return pumps to the 4 display tanks (1000gph/250gals each). It is 90"x24"x24" and I think 1/2" acrilic is the right size for a sump this size right? Here is the tank from the front with dimentions.
http://www.edowner.net/sump-front-view.gif
Figuring that the final compartment can go down to 7" deep before there's a chance of the pumps sucking air (conservatively), that allows me to have 16gals of evaporation, should the sea water pump fail for some reason, before my pumps self destruct.

Good design? Bad? Thoughts? Thanks. ;']

Edward

PS. The Autocad file can be downloaded from here (http://www.edowner.net/sump_plan.dwg)

futrtrubl
06/05/2006, 11:05 AM
I'm not sure about bracing on this sump, should I brace along the top edges? Should I use cross braces? Should I be worried about bowing in the refugium section?

Edward

futrtrubl
06/11/2006, 12:08 PM
Just bumping to see if I can some sort of responce.

Edward

sjm817
06/11/2006, 03:03 PM
If you are pumping seawater through the system, which is basically a continuous water change system, why do you need skimmers and a fuge? I would think just a chiller is all that is needed if the ocean water is too warm.

Rhodan
06/11/2006, 07:10 PM
I'm not sure about the fresh sea water thing...But that sump sure looks awsome! :)

ksarauer
06/11/2006, 07:46 PM
You could get by without a center brace if you wanted. I personally would put one in the center of the 36.5 area. The other areas are not a concern due to the cross pieces adding extra support. 1/2" will be just fine.

What size of a tank is this going on?

futrtrubl
06/11/2006, 08:01 PM
sjm817: If it was a constant water change with RO?DI mixed with salt I would agree, but with the sea water around here I'll probably be importing quite a bit of nutrients. The tanks may be heavily stocked with filter feeders so a fuge exporting some some pods etc would help me feed them.

rhodan: Thanks! I spent far too much time learning AutoCad just to make this ;']

ksarauer: I was thinking I might have to put one there, pity that in the center of the fuge is where I'd want the light too ;'] I've also seen that most acrilic tanks/sumps have a lip running around the top, actually can't think of any I've seen that don't. Is that a mandatory thing? This sump will be servicing 4 250gal reef tanks.

Edward

ksarauer
06/11/2006, 08:05 PM
With all the cross bracing, there is no need for the lip running around the top.

Regarding the fuge and brace, what you may want to consider, is adding 2 braces ~24" appart. The light can go in between the braces.

futrtrubl
06/11/2006, 08:11 PM
Good idea, added.

Now the big question. How hard is it going to be to put this beast together? ;']

Edward

ksarauer
06/11/2006, 08:23 PM
Not too bad, take your time. Patience is key!

futrtrubl
06/11/2006, 08:45 PM
Oh btw, I'm not planning on gluing in the stand that the skimmers are sitting on. So that should I change to different skimmers I can get the height right for them. Will the ~20" space need to be braced?

Edward

PS. Patience eh? Bugger.

ksarauer
06/11/2006, 08:49 PM
No, there should be no need to brace the 20" span.

futrtrubl
06/25/2006, 04:01 PM
In the name of ease of construction and not "scaring the accountants" I am now looking at making the outside form out of fiberglass.
Is it feasible?
Will going to fiberglass make it easier to build? It looks like it would but I've never made anything out of fiberglass or acrilic.
Will it be cheaper? Looks so, but then again I don't know what weight/thickness fabric I will need.
What wieght/thickness of fabric would I need?
Will bowing be a problem? Especially since I'm thinking I'd just use drop in glass baffles, siliconed in. Since this won't be a display I would only mind if it's structurally bad bowing.
I still want to be able to view the refugium area. How hard would it be to put in a veiwing window there?

Edward

If I find this is feasible I'll probably have a dozen more questions. Any links I should look at first?

ksarauer
06/25/2006, 06:09 PM
I would stick with acrylic, when going between different materials, I do not feel you get as good as a bond.

I have never worked with fiberglass before, but I think it would make it more difficult to do.

Plus, you would need to buy additional materials to work with the fiberglass.