PDA

View Full Version : The ever popular head loss on closed loop ???

Pennoyer
06/05/2006, 09:32 AM
Due to venting problems with my sump room and the daily increasing temps here in NO, I had to raise my chiller about 6' in order to vent it to the outside of the room. This now puts the chiller about 10' above the pump. It is not a pressure rated pump (Sequence 4200) and it also drives my refuge and two Phosban (with carbon and Rowa) reactors in sequence. The intake for the pump is in the sump and the output of the chiller is also in the sump. So, I believe that it is pretty much a closed loop. (Except for the time spent inside the chiller which may or may not break the loop.) With this in mind: (1) do you think this remains a closed loop despite the inside tank of chiller? and (2) how much additional head loss have I added, if any, by raising the chiller the 6'? I think only the frictional head loss from the additional tubing, but not totally sure.

Thanks

RichConley
06/05/2006, 09:44 AM
You havent added any headloss by raising the chiller, as long as the pump has enough power to initially get water into the loop.

Pennoyer
06/05/2006, 10:08 AM
That's what I figured. i.e. Once the water makes it to the chiller the falling/returning water should siphon back down to the sump creating at least an equal amount of draw in the loop as is required to get the water up to the chiller.

PrangeWay
06/05/2006, 11:17 AM
If the intake/outlet are at the same elevation in the sump you only have "minor" head loss. Minor head loss woulld be friction in the pipes/tubing, valves/fittings, bends/coils, etc. With a chiller though your minors might add up (fitting in, fitting out, the 45's, the coils) a bit but I'd be willing to bet it's quite low (an inch?), not sure would have to do a sample problem which I'm far to lazy to do.

-UPDATED

Okay scrach that I did it over lunch for the thinking. You're head loss in raising the pipe 6ft (12ft) total would be 0.03m or 1.18inches of head loss due to friction.

Pennoyer
06/05/2006, 12:34 PM
Thanks for the help. The pump was fine before the elevation, figured it would be so after as well, but wanted to make sure my thinking was correct. Hopefully when I get home today the tank is at a stable temp around 82 as opposed to how I found it on Friday (before the change) 86