PDA

View Full Version : Installing an in-tank Corner Overflow

reidcrandall
06/05/2006, 11:47 AM
How difficult is it? What is the best way to do it? I am contemplating buying a used tank with no overflows, and I am wondering if it's cost effectinve to do it, or should I just buy a tank with overflows already installed?

Reid

spmedi
06/05/2006, 12:14 PM
It is not difficult. You can get drill bit from a guy named .lau*** (http://stores.ebay.com/Treasure-HK-Ltd) off ebay. JustOneMoreTank (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=603816) has a thread for it. A tube of silicone, and some glass (if you have a glass tank) from a lgs. I'd say you could put two in yourself for around $20 - 40 depending mainly on the cost of the glass.

I drilled for 1" bulkheads, put didn't get around to installing my overflows yet. Glass hasn't came in. But I debating using it.

I was thinking about building a little black "box" that would hang on the inside of the aquarium instead. I just thought of doing this today so I have been searching for other posts about it. I might go look through some stuff that the hardware store. Ii don't know what it would cost, but I like the idea of being able to remove/clean my overfow, etc.

CaliforniaDreamer
06/05/2006, 12:15 PM
Depends are if you plan on drilling the bottom or the side/back of the tank. Many tanks have bottoms with tempered glass. Tempered glass will crack if you attempt to drill it. If you can get a good deal on a used tank in good shape then drilling is a good option. I have "drilled" a number of tanks with no problems. I just use a dremel and a diamond bit to start the hole and a tile cutting bit to finish the job with water for cooling. Building a corner overflow using Plexiglas is a fairly easy task however gluing it in with silicone is somewhat hit or miss. If you do go that route make sure you rough up the acrylic with sand paper to help the silicone stick. If you have glass skills even better, glass to glass silicone gluing is very effective. If the tank you are considering is acrylic then both the drilling and making of the corner box is a piece of cake. I don't know where you are located but if you have a local club in your area there is always someone willing to help.

reidcrandall
06/05/2006, 12:57 PM
I'm looking at glass. And I don't know if the bottom is tempered or not.

Are there any kits or anything that I can use to install a corner overflow?

Any Idea how much a 125g or 150g with an overflow already might run me?

Reid

serpentman
06/05/2006, 01:23 PM
I have been pricing 125's lately. New RR AGA run between 375-450 here in the Midwest. Not sure if this varies by locale?