PDA

View Full Version : Just set up

Delb0y
06/05/2006, 03:03 PM
Hi all,

I managed to find an over flow box to fix my 55G tank. So all is well there. Thanks for the advice. I have it installed and connected to a sump tank.

A bit of background - Sump Tank

The sump tank is divided into 2 compartments, one approx 2/3 the lenght of the overall size. I have the flow from the over flow box flowing into the smaller chamber and the skimmer is located here.

The output form the skimmer flows into a bubble trap and then into the large chamber. The Skimmer is a V2 Skim 400 and came with a Rio 2800 pump. There is no adjustment on this pump.

The larger chamber has a an adjustable pump so the return flow can be adjusted. The return flow then goes through a UV Sterliser and back to the tank.

To give a full test I filled the tank with aged SW heated to 25C/77F, and added a 1" bed of sand.

Questions

Flow rate equalisation

The flow rate on the Rio 2800 connected to the skimmer seems to be far to high for the flow from the OF Box on top. The skimmer chamber water level goes very low very quickly. After a few mins it just about covers the pump. If I introduce a valve on the output connection will the reduced flow have an adverse effect on skimming ???

Also I have 2 termostats in use. One is an on tank strip and the other is an in tank probe. The on tank strip shows a green 25C/77F but the in tank probe can vary between 23.7C and 24.8C never to 25C. I have experimented with various positions/levels within the tank. Any thoughts / suggestions are welcome.

Derek

kraze3
06/05/2006, 03:09 PM
Your temo is probably varying due to the temp in your home and or your lighting. You may want to try for a bit warmer i would say 79 is the avg around here from what i have read.

As far as that pump you can reduce the flow as you said but there may be downsides to this. You could end up up overworking the pump and shortening its life. Ive seen it done but You may be better of getting a new pump