PDA

View Full Version : Strange ALK readings after water change

Reefflections
06/05/2006, 05:07 PM
Randy my friend:rollface: I'm back again.
Here is what happen 3 days ago.I did a water change,at this siphon some of my sand bed out.I didn't make the tank cloudy at all when do this.Did it very slow.I thought with the second water change out of IO salt bucket it would be ok.Because with a new bucket always test what readings I'm getting,just to be safe.And all was well,until this secand water change.I had and ALK spike of 12 ouch,with tank water now ouch!:rolleyes: So for the last 3 days now now ESV Bionics been added,or any kalk been added.I really couldn't do anything at this time.Other than let it fall on it own.But today it's testing out now in the 11 range.Is it possible it can take that long to slowly drop?I thought maybe 2 days at the most...But now it day 3 and ALK is still rocking.Not a happy camper right now.I just thought this was rather strange for still be this high?Any concerns over this matter.All test kits are Salfiert,with good dates on them.So what gives here:confused:
Thanks as always
Curt

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/06/2006, 04:51 AM
How big of a water change did you do? Did you measure the alkalinity in the IO?

How much did the alkalinity rise?

What do you normally add to the tank?

Reefflections
06/06/2006, 04:19 PM
Randy
1, It was a 32 gallon water change.
2.When I first open the bucket I always test the new bucket.The first water change test were fine.When it was time to do the water change again,I really didn't test it second time.I just thought the bucket was ok.Really didn't feel there was a need at that time.Because the first batch was ok.I guess that's my fault for not testing it anyway.
3.ALK went from 10 to 12.
4.Two part ESV are only added in the morning.1/3 of a cup of each.Just did a test today,it's finally at 9.6.It took it 4 days to drop,without adding anything.Which I feel was a long time?

So when you do a water change.and say the alk is high with the new water.Do you really have to wait for levels to drop to tank range?Or being it 32 gallons,that will mix with the tank water is ok to do?Can you add anything to your new water change,to lower your ALK or just have to ride it out?Guess a little up tight now with these water changes to match tank conditions?
Thanks
Curt

Randy Holmes-Farley
06/07/2006, 05:32 AM
Two part ESV are only added in the morning.1/3 of a cup of each.Just did a test today,it's finally at 9.6.It took it 4 days to drop,without adding anything.Which I feel was a long time?

That depends on the demand, but that is not out of the range of normal. :)

So when you do a water change.and say the alk is high with the new water.Do you really have to wait for levels to drop to tank range?

Water changes of this size really shouldn't boost alkalinity much unless it is way too high in the salt mix.

I'm not sure what happened here. It might be testing errors. In any case, I wouldn't worry much about it. :)