PDA

View Full Version : VHO: What are you guys keeping under them?

Kaos
06/05/2006, 08:59 PM
I'm thinking of going VHO and wanted to know what my coral options were. I plan on 4x110 (46.5") over a 55 gal. If you would, tell me how many watts you have, what size tank, and what corals you are keeping. It would also be helpful to know if you are dosing anything (i.e. DT's, etc.). TIA.

SeaMac2
06/05/2006, 09:46 PM
I've got 4 x 110w over my 75g and am able to keep a variety of softies, LPS, and a few hardier SPS (the upper half of the tank). I also have a bunch of green BTA clones that are thriving as well. :D

Chirs

affan
06/05/2006, 09:47 PM
I usually just keep my tank under them. :smokin:

bigdee65
06/05/2006, 09:57 PM
I have 5 - 6 footers on my 135g mixed reef and have kept thus far:
Torch
Frogspawn
Hammer
GSP
Zoos
Mushrooms
Acans
Colt
Kenya Tree
Xenia
SPS (digi's)
Lobo's
Blastos
Yellow Fiji Leather

My reef has been setup for about 3 months now and everything is doing great. I have had awsome growth on almost all corals. A buddy of mine has the same setup on a 125g and his tank is AMAZING!! Its a couple years old and he keeps everything you can think of.

Here is a pic from about a month ago (need to get an updated one)
http://www.rcphotoworks.com/B.jpg

Cord
06/06/2006, 02:21 PM
I have a standard 55 gal with a URI 110watt actinic white, one 110 watt actinic blue, and one NO actinic bulb. I keep mostly LPS, hammer, frog spawn, bubble coral, etc, softies, but also keep clams, which I've had for years. I keep the maximas and croceas about half way up the tank on a ledge, and one blue squamous down on the sand. I have one sps, a green monti cap. I would think 4 bulbs over a 55 gallon should be more than enough light.

Amphiprion
06/06/2006, 04:57 PM
I have kept a variety of things underneath 440w. Several species of clams, H. crispa anemone, various 'sps'--including Acropora sp., various lps, etc. Never had any issues associated with low light intensity or anything of that sort.

goda
06/06/2006, 05:04 PM
i had 220 of vho on my old 55 and had a RBTA colorup on the bottom of the tank

with 440 you can pretty much keep anything you want

Kaos
06/06/2006, 08:29 PM
Excellent. Thanks for posting. I am going to use this as a guidline while stocking mine. A guy from my work just gave me a rock covered in coraline and mushroom polyps. I'm hoping it will do ok in my 55 w/ 4 NO URI's over it. I'm upgrading my lights soon and was just feeling around to see if I NEEDED halides. I'm not planing on keeping anything fancy until much later. Now I'm just tickled w/ my LR and mushroom polyps.