PDA

View Full Version : What kind of hand soap do you use?

grips
06/06/2006, 08:57 AM
I feel like I'm constantly putting my hands in my tank whether it's to put in some Nori or to fix a fallen frag. I like to wash my hands often and I'm concerned that there may be some left over soap on my skin leeching into the tank.

I assume that anti-bacterial soap would be bad for any tank.

Can anyone recommend a good hand soap that won't negatively effect a saltwater tank? Maybe something all natural. Or am i worrying over nothing?

MCary
06/06/2006, 09:04 AM
The biggest concern with soap would be phosphate. I don't think with proper rinsing that there would be enough residual stuff left on your hands to cause concern. Best thing is to keep your fingernails well trimmed and used good handwashing technique. Believe it or not, us hospital workers actually take handwashing classes.

grips
06/06/2006, 09:09 AM
I actually work in Decision Support for a hospital. I remember the hand washing talk at orientation. They take it very seriously with both sanitizer and soap.

ANNIESREEF
06/06/2006, 09:47 AM
I use dawn dishwashing liquid and rinse WELL under very warm water - before and after going into my tank.

grips
06/06/2006, 09:51 AM
So far it sounds like the most important thing is to rinse your hand off really well. Thanks!

BethanyM
06/06/2006, 09:59 AM
I use unscented glycerine soap. As long as you wash your hands well and with warm water, it will be all you need.
I can't trust all the antibacterial soaps if I can still smell them on me an hour later. I can rinse for 20 minutes and still smell it.

HotHotHot
06/06/2006, 10:20 AM
I always use gloves. Either the shoulder length ones or powder-free latex.

Ed

grips
06/06/2006, 10:28 AM
I would say that unscented soap is definitly a good idea.

Gloves are good too. Are the arm length gloves awkward to use at all?

Jshock
06/06/2006, 11:32 AM
Hemp soap, lol just kidding, i usually just rinse and scrub without soap because i have had many a fresh water fish die that way. I've always had fairly small tanks so a little bit of soap had a big affect on the tank.
+1 for no soap before hand diving

dragonyze
06/06/2006, 12:26 PM
i also keep a little thing of alcohol based antibacterial hand sanitizer for use after ive washed with regluar hand soap. the kind you put on dry hands and it evaporates almost instantly. you can never be too careful when bacteria are concerned. i just wouldnt go sticking my hands back in the tank immediately afterwards.
after roughly 8 months of consistent use i havent noticed any ill effects on the tank.

Saltz Creep
06/06/2006, 01:39 PM
I use Palmolive because it softens my hands while I do the dishes.
Yes, I know I'm soaking in it.

itstheantitang
06/06/2006, 06:33 PM
I just use regular dial liquid soap.

I rinse my hands well before putting themin the tank, and I wash them well afterward.

Mr.Nudibranch
06/06/2006, 07:20 PM
ya I don't think it matters too much except for the rinsing