PDA

View Full Version : RBTA/Maroon tankmates

jonahshark
06/06/2006, 12:54 PM
Hi all,

Just wanting to get the wisdom of the group. I have a pair of maroon clowns in a 6" diameter RBTA, and one Eibli Angel in a 55 gallon. We wanted to add something new, and it seems like a boxfish is a resonable choice. Have any of you had experience keeping boxfish with Clowns/RBTA? If they're bad experiences, can you recommend good tankmates?

Thanks,

Jonah

DrBDC
06/06/2006, 03:54 PM
I have a mandarin, kole tang, foxface, 3 chromis, yellow watchman, cucumber, peppermint, cleaner, pistol, snails.

jonahshark
06/06/2006, 04:14 PM
I'm glad your Mandarin is doing well. Mine ventured to close and got munched.

Maybe I'll go for the watchman pistol mix, they're always fun.

Which is your favorite?

DrBDC
06/06/2006, 04:25 PM
Your maroons killed your mandarin? Mine just look at him but he cleans pods all around the rbta.

Lumpus
06/06/2006, 06:16 PM
If you mean something like a cubicus boxfish, I had one once...for about a half hour. I brought him home, acclimated him, and then took a shower. Apparently his new surroundings stressed him out a bit. I got out and last survivor of his 'mood swing' was a percula flailing like a falling leaf. Everything in the tank died. I'd say the most intimidating thing in there was a coral beauty angel and it never bothered anyone....it was just fast.

Anyway, they really CAN kill off your tank. If your clowns might pester it when it got too close I would skip it. Also, maybe add some carbon to your filtration when you add it in case the boxfish is a bit nervous :O

Of course, some people call certain non-noxious puffers boxfish, too. If that is what you mean, just ignore my story :)

jonahshark
06/07/2006, 09:39 AM
sorry, my reply got lost. It wasn't my maroons that killed the mandarin it was my RBTA. I've also heard that running a skimmer can help with noxious fish.

J