PDA

View Full Version : phosphate reactor?

RobNJ
06/07/2006, 01:13 PM
Hey everyone, I have a question.

I have a fluval 203 filter at home. Do the sponges inside these canisters become nitrate producers? I was wondering if its possible to convert it into a phosphate reactor? Any ever done this? Could i just remove the inner plastic cages and sponges and use it to remove phosphates? I do not have a phosphate problme, just curious if this would be beneficial for the reef?

Any input would be helpful

RobinsonFam1
06/07/2006, 01:47 PM
it works with no probs except this is what i did:
remove sponges, leave in crates as they are to direct water flow along with the sponge "rack". filled the crates with phosgard and carbon and matrix and had no probs. i was able to successfully keep a 29 gal on this alone and weekly water changes.

i put the carbon in the bottom, matrix next to remove trates, and phosgard at the top. worked like a champ.

RobNJ
06/07/2006, 01:58 PM
did you remove the ceramic pieces?i would think they would trap nitrates, you left the middle divider in?

RobinsonFam1
06/07/2006, 03:41 PM
yeah i removed everything but the plastic dividers and used my own media.
the dividers are kinda critical in the design as they direct the water flow. i never tried it without them either though!?

RobNJ
06/07/2006, 03:46 PM
Excellent!

sumpinhabitant
06/07/2006, 06:46 PM
It works well I use a canister filter to run carbon and sometimes phosban. I put my media in filter bags first before I put it in the canister, just makes it easier to swith or replace media that way IMO

monsterReef
06/07/2006, 09:46 PM
There's this new Phosphate Remover from Warner Marine named PHOSaR, doesn't need a reactor because it's a pellet. Said to work well in a canister filter or in the sump in a filter bag.

http://warnermarine.com/phosar.htm