PDA

View Full Version : Easy way to catch a pygmy angel??

Razzagas
06/07/2006, 01:24 PM
Is there a kind of trap or something i can use to catch my pygmy? he has taken a liking to my coral....
Thanks

McCrary
06/07/2006, 05:24 PM
Fish traps are available for catching fish that have become troublesome. The ones I have seen are a tube that has a slide down door that is controlled with a string. Bait the trap and when the angel goes inside shut the door by dropping the string.

godoggo
06/07/2006, 06:53 PM
Drs Foster and Smith sell the traps - they are also handy to have around for other emergencies.

I had a Koran Angel that turned into the worlds worst bully in a 150 reef tank.

My LFS guy told me to try to catch him - using the smallet hook I could find, file off the barbs and then bait the hook. I was too chicken to try it - was afraid I'd let him swallow the hook.

I bought a thin piece of plastic sheeting at Home Depot and cut it to make a tank divider. I moved a few pieces of rock from one end of the tank, and slid in the divider, just leaving enough of a gap that he could get through. Dropped in a whole cocktail shrimp and when he went for it closed the gap in the plastic sheet. He was much easier to catch in that narrow space.

On my smaller tanks, I have simple pumped out the water with a powerhead into tubs 'til the level drops enough that the fish can be caught - then simply pump the water back in.

Good Luck!