PDA

View Full Version : What salt is best? RO/DI Questions & Mixing Questions

dobbs
06/07/2006, 03:07 PM
Well, after spending $50 in the last 2 weeks on mixed SW and RO water, I finaly decided to buy a RO/DI unit...
http://cgi.ebay.com/Reef-Aquarium-RO-DI-Reverse-Osmosis-Water-Filter-75-gpd_W0QQitemZ7771901891QQihZ018QQcategoryZ20756QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Along with an inline TDS meter...
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7772517790

Questions...

Is there one brand of salt that seems to be the best?

Do you buy your salt on-line? Or, is it too costly to ship?

I have extra powerheads - so mixing shouldnt be a problem. What do you mix yours in? How long will the mix last...if it's covered, heated, & the powerhead is on? Got a pic of your mixing station? Looking for ideas.

I'd like to plan before the unit arrives. I'm sure the directions will tell me...
do I plumb in before or after the water softener. BTW I have well water.

Thanks in advance,
Dave

snarkes
06/07/2006, 03:29 PM
I know that a lot of the members here use Instant Ocean and swear by it. Personally, I use Seachem's Reef Salt and I have not had any problems with it. I seem to remember reading somewhere that it tested well versus other brands. I mix my salt in a 32 gallon Brute Rubbermaid Trashcan that I have two powerhead, an airstone and a heater in. I've found that buying salt online is about as expensive as buying it at the LFS after the extra shipping

kraze3
06/07/2006, 03:34 PM
That ro/di will be fine. I chose to purchase a typhoon III but many have used the ebay units effectivly. Get the 75 gpd membrane it has a higher rejection rate

I personally use IO salt. Some use reef crystals. There are many diff kinds just pick one that you wont have a problem getting in case you need it and try to stick with it.

I have bought salt both online and from petstores. I guess the cost is pretty much the same. I have seen drsfostersmith.com offer salt with no wieght shipping charges from time to time so keep your eye on that.

I have a 2 32 gal rubbermaid containers that I got from walmart. I fill it with ro/di water then add salt and powerhead to mix. While that is mixing I fill my second. If the container is sealed the water should last as long as you need it no problem.

Im not 100% sure but I think I would opt to plumb before the water softner just incase. Im sure someone else will post on which is better

Billybeau1
06/07/2006, 03:44 PM
Well, if its for your 75 gal that you have listed, this is what I do for my 72. I change 15 gal (20%)every two weeks. I have a 18 gal tupperware container. I fill it with RO/DI for my top offs (replacing evaporated water. The day before a water change I add salt to 15gal of the RO/DI and let the powerhead run overnight and turn on the heater. The next day I do my water change then fill the container up again for top off water. Pretty simple I think.

AZDesertRat
06/07/2006, 05:36 PM
If you have not already bought the RO yet I would shop around. You can do better. That one uses a membrane that does not tell abrand name or if it is ANSI/NSF certified for drinking water. I would ask the vendor for more manufatturers info first. It also does not include a refillable DI cartridge which you will want along with a handheld TDS meter and pressure gauge. The inline TDS is OK for an indicator but you need a handheld to be accurate.
Look at:
www. purelyh2o.com Optima series (call their toll free number, their website was knocked out in a server move and is being rebuilt)
www.airwaterice.com 75 GPD Typhoon III series
www.buckeyefieldsupply.com 75 GPD Premium or reef/residential series
www.thefilterguys.biz Ocean Reef+ series

All use true Dow Filmtec RO membranes, standard size 10" canister type vertical refillable DI filters and high quality pre and carbon filters. Several also include TDS meters, pressure gauges and even float valves. They are all worth having.

Silverado
06/07/2006, 06:26 PM
I just purchased the Optima from Purelyh2o.com and I have to say that it is the best unit I have bought.

There customer service is better that any I have found also. Brian went out of his way to help me with a problem that I had with RO/DI unit that was even theirs. No one else would even talk to me about the problem because it was not one of their products.

I personally would go with www.purelyh2o.com.

reefchiquita
06/07/2006, 08:57 PM
I have 180g tank....I also just use a 33g rubbermaid trashcan i bought at homedepot for 10 bucks. I have 2, 1 for waterchanges and the second for just RO/DI water for top off.

I fill up my bin with water, add salt and let the powerhead mix it all night. I find that I don't even need a heater since the powerhead heats up the water for me, sometimes even too warm. So you may be able to get by without a heater if you do your water changes the next day. I suppose if you want salt water on hand and ready to use, perhaps. But I find that I just need RO/DI water for top-off for daily use. Good luck!

JRistau81
06/07/2006, 09:46 PM
I second the Seachem Reef salt. I love Seachem! Great company, but they sure do know how to make a complicated test kit. :)

PatMayo
06/07/2006, 11:30 PM
I use IO and have for years. I use 44 gallon brute cans. I have 3. 1 for ro/di water, typhoon III, 1 for mixed saltwater and 1 for kalkwasser. (limewater)

I mix the salt up to the right SG and add enough alkalinity and calcium to match my tank. Once it is all mixed up I don't use a powerhead or anything else in the trashcan. I only heat it. I change 8 gallons weekly in my tank. I turn on the powerhead and the airstone 24 hours before the water change so its ready for the tank.

It works very well for me.

Regards,

Pat