PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal? Torch Coral *pic*

blazin
06/07/2006, 05:06 PM
I noticed my torch has this white stuff growing on the top, Im not sure if its normal or not with growth - Ive had this for about a year or so. Lately, the tentacles havent been extended very much...

This pic was taken with the lights off, so its not extended.

http://www.blazinlow.com/uploads/IMG_0668.JPG

thanks

playapablo2007
06/07/2006, 08:54 PM
I think that may be the skeleton? Maybe its growing a larger skeleton? I don't quite know for sure though.

TJcop
06/07/2006, 09:03 PM
When the coral is open, the white part around the "neck" is normal.

BTW, you said that you've had that piece for a year? I'm surprised it hasn't split (several times by now).

v8maro
06/08/2006, 11:13 AM
looks like it's receeding / dying to me - esp since some of the tips look white. If it stays like that when the lights come on & a film secretes from it, say bye bye. The white part is the skeleton. What are your parameters? Torchs are touchy when nitrates are high from my experience. The only time when this behavior is ok is when it's splitting, i've noticed when one of my heads split it stays down for a dya or two, however, yours is not close to splitting from the looks of it.

phljess
06/08/2006, 09:54 PM
I also believe it is bleached and receeding. If you put in a low light area and feed it you might be able to bring it back.

blazin
06/08/2006, 10:15 PM
I feed it mysis shrimp occasionally...Is that OK?

The problems first started happening when the coral fell off a rock, face down for a couple day as I didnt notice. This is what it looks like now with the lights on

http://www.blazinlow.com/uploads/IMG_0678.JPG

It used to look like this (sorry for the big pic)

http://www.blazinlow.com/aqua/DSC00450.JPG

v8maro
06/08/2006, 10:28 PM
it's definitly not happy. See how it's squished and the tentacles look fat, it's very unhappy. Mysis is ok. What kind of flow do you have on it?

blazin
06/08/2006, 10:33 PM
Its a 20H tank with a HOB Whisper 3 and a Power Head 301.

blazin
06/08/2006, 10:35 PM
Also, that torch coral recently desintigrated down to nothing. Its completely gone. Should i just start doing crazy amounts of water changes? I checked levels : ammonia 0 nitrate 0 , didnt check the nitrites. Calcium levels appear good because I get corraline like crazy....so any suggestions?

I admit, ive slipped a bit on the upkeep. Used to water change every 2 weeks, now maybe once a month. Im trying to get back into it, I have a bucket of water brewing on the RO/DI now :D

TJcop
06/09/2006, 04:00 AM
Now that I saw a better picture, it does appear that it isn't happy.
There could be any number of reasons: Flow, lighting, lack of H2O changes, maybe even suffering from toxicity from your softie...In a small tank like that, a slight change can make big problems.
Again, I'm also concerned that you've had it for 1 year and it has stayed 1 single head. Maybe it has just been barely hanging on that entire time?
Wish I could offer more help...best of luck!

v8maro
06/09/2006, 06:30 AM
So it did die? Get a turkey baster and suck the tissue out of the skeleton to reduce the nitrate spike that will soon follow. If there are no living heads, just take the skeleton out, it's useless now.

porky
06/09/2006, 08:50 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7527663#post7527663 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by v8maro
Get a turkey baster and suck the tissue out of the skeleton
Ummm if it's not dead now that will certainly kill it...

mandrin13
06/14/2006, 01:59 PM
Mine hasnt split,(ive had it for about 6-7 months)I need to take better care of my tank.Slipped alot on water changes.Its all out but not alot,and its limp.Its usually all the way out and pretty.

r00onmac
06/14/2006, 04:20 PM
i have one that has a similar opening issue... i thought it was because of moving tanks but i just noticed my tiny perc has been hosting pretty aggressively and im wondering if that could be preventing it from opening all the way...

it used to have 7" + tentacles and after the move its down to 3-4" maybe... one head died and one more doesnt look so awesome, but the remaining 5 look great despite its lack of full extension... could such a small percula (<1") cause it to keep its polyps in?

TJcop
06/14/2006, 06:17 PM
It's possible that the percula is irritating it, but I'm not sure that is the problem. Every now and then, my Clownfish will go to the other side of the tank and hang out in my torch. The torch doesn't even flinch when the fish it rubbing around inside of it.

There's got to be something else going on here...