PDA

View Full Version : Does the ECO Aqualizer work?

McCrary
06/07/2006, 11:16 PM
My roommate bought an ECO Aqualizer and is going to hook it up to his system, but I am cautious of the claims this product makes. Does anyone have experience with this product. I am anxious to know if this is a valid product or just another "toy" to attach to the tank.

XtrmCHoPZ
06/07/2006, 11:44 PM
Well it wont hurt anything, but I also dont think it will do any good. My LFS swears by them. I think he tells people the work so well so he can make a killing off of selling them to ignorant dummies. Ive seen the x75 model online for about $75......get ready.....my LFS charges $130 for that same model!!!!!! RIP-OFF

From what I know its basically just a length of PVC. It has "rare earth magnets" TAPED on the PVC. The ends are fitted with barbed fittings, and then the whole thing gets a flashy little red and blue wrapper.

They claim that it helps filters increase the capacity, kill ich, make water crystal clear. etc.....dont buy it. I have one that I acquired for free, and I can tell you that its worthless. I have had it on and off of my system, never changed a thing.

boxfishpooalot
06/08/2006, 04:14 AM
If magnets did anything to water quality, then my algae magnet should do the trick. Wich sits in the tank all the time :lol:

Chicago
06/08/2006, 06:02 AM
search the board..... snake oil....

chip721
06/08/2006, 09:26 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7519952#post7519952 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TurboSnail8898
My roommate bought an ECO Aqualizer and is going to hook it up to his system, but I am cautious of the claims this product makes. Does anyone have experience with this product. I am anxious to know if this is a valid product or just another "toy" to attach to the tank. See for yourself what's inside (http://www.inlandreef.com/Testing/Eco.html) this wonder toy. It's basically pvc pipe, magnets, electrical tape, and a fancy wrapper. Wonder why they say don't get it wet? Cause the tape and magnets will fall off. Click on the Disection Photo's. I think they have a money back guarentee. I'd take 'em up on it if I were you.

McCrary
06/08/2006, 01:58 PM
I was very skeptical when my roommate got this thing. The LFS he got it from said they were amazing. But I am a little more hesitant to take someones word. The website sounded like a load of BS. Anyway, thanks for all the feedback. I will inform my roommate that he just put a $100 piece of PVC on his tank.

Jeremy Blaze
06/08/2006, 02:17 PM
They only work if you use all of marc wiess's products in your tank as well :)

Saltz Creep
06/08/2006, 03:07 PM
It's bull. But if you hold the magnets against your temples it will get rid of migraines. I heard it also works on warts, arthritis, and skin manifestations from various social diseases.

AZDesertRat
06/08/2006, 03:46 PM
They are right up there with the pet rock as far as usefulness. They do work in the sense they transfer money out of your pocket and in to theirs I suppose!

whiteshark
06/08/2006, 03:46 PM
Its horrible that people can make money from things that don't even do, to any extent, what they claim. If you spend 115 bux on something you will trick yourself into thinking its working. Its an overpriced PVC pipe with some equally overpriced magnets inside...

21Reefman
06/08/2006, 04:12 PM
I have a friend who was given one by the manufacturer to test. He says it is worthless and EVEN WORSE it (he says) was the reason his 220 crashed. I believe him too, he has over 1000gal of tanks and a skimmer for like 5000gal, all SPS. His advice was DO NOT PUT IT ON YOUR TANK, even if it was FREE!!!

AZDesertRat
06/08/2006, 04:14 PM
They will also sell you the same thing to attach to the fuel line of your car that miraculously gives you increased fuel mileage???? Funny how aligning the ions or whatever does so many different things! I guess if you moved to Sedona AZ, gazed upon your crystals while in the lotus position, aligned all the stars in the sky and chanted, life would be perfect. Oh, and had an eco aqualizer on both your tank and car too.

Amphiprion
06/08/2006, 04:27 PM
Sure it works. Just hold a steel nail up to it. It does exactly what a magnet should do :D

BlueCorn
06/08/2006, 04:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7524257#post7524257 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 21Reefman
I have a friend who was given one by the manufacturer to test. He says it is worthless and EVEN WORSE it (he says) was the reason his 220 crashed. I believe him too, he has over 1000gal of tanks and a skimmer for like 5000gal, all SPS. His advice was DO NOT PUT IT ON YOUR TANK, even if it was FREE!!!

It's doubtful that it caused your friend's tank to crash. That would imply that it actually does something. My opinion is that it's not capable of doing anything.

;)

McCrary
06/08/2006, 09:22 PM
Right now my roommate and I are laughing at this thing. The dissected pictures that were posted are amazing. He won't be putting it on his tank. Somebody should sue these people or something. Taping magnets on a PVC pipe and claiming it can work wonders for your tank has to be illegal. False advertising or something.

whiteshark
06/08/2006, 09:38 PM
Somebody should sue these people or something. Taping magnets on a PVC pipe and claiming it can work wonders for your tank has to be illegal. False advertising or something.

Exactly. I feel sorry for every person that was tricked into believing that this thing works. It should be illegal, total false advertisement. It makes me sick that people can make money with this crap.

McCrary
06/08/2006, 11:32 PM
Totally agree. I doubt my roommate wil be getting his money back, but its worth a shot. They claim to have a money back guarantee.

chip721
06/08/2006, 11:58 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7526953#post7526953 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TurboSnail8898
Totally agree. I doubt my roommate wil be getting his money back, but its worth a shot. They claim to have a money back guarantee. Stay after them. If the item was made with a credit card, you can even get the cc company involved. It shouldn't have to go that far. But if necessary dispute the charge for total disatisfaction and the moeny back guarntee. Don't eat a hundred dollar loss for some cheap magnets and pvc. Stay after them. You can prevail.

21Reefman
06/09/2006, 12:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7524351#post7524351 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by beerguy
It's doubtful that it caused your friend's tank to crash. That would imply that it actually does something. My opinion is that it's not capable of doing anything.

;)

LOL, WOW, after looking at the disection I agree! We were always under the impression that there was some actual contact with the magnets. That IS the definition of a scam!

chip721
06/09/2006, 09:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7527035#post7527035 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by chip721
Stay after them. If the item was made with a credit card, you can even get the cc company involved. Sorry, I meant to say ...if the item was "purchased" with a credit card. It was getting late when I wrote that. But again ...stay after 'em. Email them or call Eco and talk with a customer service rep to find out what the return procedure is. And as tempting as it may be, IMO I would use restraint and not roast them over the phone. That will only turn things nasty. Just let them know you bought it, you're not satisfied with it, and you simply want a full refund. Nothing more, nothing less. Good luck.

whiteshark
06/09/2006, 09:38 AM
IMO I would use restraint and not roast them over the phone.

Good point. This is the time and place to roast em', not when your tryin to get your money back from em'.

McCrary
06/09/2006, 08:23 PM
I just feel bad for all the people who bought this POS on faith and then got scammed. Or worse the people who believe the lies and think it does something and go out and recommend it to others.

XtrmCHoPZ
06/10/2006, 01:02 PM
Anyone check out their website? Its full of "testimonials" from satisfied customers.......how puch did they payy these people to say these things?! One person says " I dont know what its doing or how but it made my aquarium crystal clear!" ....sure it did

McCrary
06/10/2006, 11:14 PM
What scared me was the testimonial from the curator emeritus of the houston zoo, Dr. Nelson Herwig. He should have known better or more self respect.

affan
06/11/2006, 12:39 AM
From their website verbatim:

In all closed aquarium system, reactivity is decreased by the build up of metabolic wastes. ECO-Aqualizer uses PATENTED negative ionic energy provided by a proprietary blend of basic electromagnetic physics combined with NASA’s space age far infrared radiation to ensure that aquarium water is constantly being rid of its toxic impurities and remains in a healthy, reactive state. This in turn directly improves the:

Quality of Water

Long-term health of livestock

effectiveness of filtration

bio-availability of Oxygen

efficiency of the nitrogen cycle

NASA employs rare earth magnets with electrical tape for purification of its water? :lol:

McCrary
06/11/2006, 12:41 AM
I don't think those magnets are going to be supplying far infrared radiation.

XtrmCHoPZ
06/11/2006, 10:30 AM
Yeh I love the part where it says that their Aqualizers use "infrared" technology?!!?! I didnt know infrared comes from pvc and magnets either.....

Jasonzo6
11/05/2006, 04:11 PM
Anyone keep a copy of the dissected unit? Looks like the links in all the forums about the ecoaqualizer no longer work. I can host it or if someone can attach it to a post here, I would like to see it taken apart. Almost fell for it until I did my research on here... thank goodness the "search" function was working.

Thanks!

conefree
11/05/2006, 06:04 PM
Yeah their website is up for sale. Looks like all of their snake oil sales went up in smoke. I would like to see pictures as well for a good laugh.

billsreef
11/05/2006, 07:41 PM
The guys that had that disected aqualizer up on the web got out of the aquarium business, that's why the site is gone.