PDA

View Full Version : Need Lighting Help

Black Mammoth
06/08/2006, 03:22 PM
I'm thinking about getting a 72x24x25 (180g wide) tank for an in wall setup. I'm not sure what to do about lighting.

Right now I have a 75g 48x18x20. I have T5s 4x54 and that work great. I'm keep SPS and a Clam with them. I was thinking about going to a 90g 48x18x24. If I were to do that, I might up the lights to 6x54 T5s...basically two more bulbs.

Well, I still want to go large, but I don't know what to do about lights. I would like to keep my T5s, because I already own them and they are very efficient. Also, I only need to replace the bulbs every 2 years.

What are my options since my bulbs are 2 feet short?

A. Ditch my current T5s and do 6x80 T5s (60 in)
B. Ditch my T5s and go with MHs, but which ones, how many, and how many watts? Will 2x250w be enough? Should I do 3x250s?
C. Do some combination with my current T5s. Maybe just get 2 more T5s, but get the 60in. Or mabye I can do something with MH.

If I go MH, don't I need actinic support?

Sorry for all the newbie questions, but I'm just not sure what kind of lighting is needed....espcially if I'm trying to reuse current lights.

Thanks

Fiziksgeek
06/08/2006, 05:41 PM
what do you plan on keeping in the tank??

If you want to keep clams down in the sand, you might want to get 3x250 MH (10K for good PAR) and use the T5's you have as actinic supplements to balance out the color.

Black Mammoth
06/08/2006, 06:14 PM
Thanks Fiziksgeek.

I will be keeping SPS, LPS, Softies, Mushrooms and at least one Clam (Maxima). Right now the clam is in the middle of my tank on a rock. I like them better on the sand, but I read they like to be on rocks.

Anyway, I'm basically keeping everything (even though it isn't recommended).

With that said...if I keep the clam up higher, what do you think?

mike660r
06/08/2006, 06:26 PM
Sounds like 3 - 250 watt MH's will do the trick for you. You need to do more research on the different bulb types. 10K XM's will get you fast frowth where as a 20K Radium will give you a bluer more vibrant color but slow growth. You have to figure out what objective you want to achieve. I highly recommend Icecapp electronic ballasts. They give you a lot of flexibility.

Good luck

herositaly
06/09/2006, 04:10 PM
hi
if you want to raise well sps the better solution it is illumination HQI 400W
for an aquarium as yours goes very well!