PDA

View Full Version : Protopalythoa grandis Care Requirements

clsanchez77
06/08/2006, 05:50 PM
Hey guys, I am setting up a 90g aquarium as a Caribbean Rubble Zone. Tank currently has 2x150W DE 14k MH, 2 Tunze Streams 6060's, 2" sandbed and 120lbs live rock.

Currently the tank is not stocked, but plans are to feature ricordea and will also feature a mated pair of cherubfish, some glass gobies and blue chromis.

I would like to have 1 or 2 species of polyps for the tank that would be naturally found in the area.

Currently, I only know of Protopalythoa grandis that would be found in common habitats as the Ricordea. What would the care requirements of this polyp be?

Also, are there other suitable polyps for this niche, thinking roughly 75-100' depth in a rubble zone.

Thanks,

Chris

gflat65
06/08/2006, 08:40 PM
There are other Caribbean species of Zoanthus. Palythoas are very common in the Caribbean, also, and I'm pretty sure PPE's come from the Caribbean. There are tons of choices.

Some of the P. grandis I've seen love high light (develop different colors), some medium light. They typically do fine under med/high flow and less (many lean towards less). Like most other Zoanthids, they are pretty much a weed once they start growing.

MUCHO REEF
06/08/2006, 10:17 PM
One thing I can add for sure, DO NOT DO A FRESH WATER DIP ON A GRANDIS. Shake it instead in tank water followed by close visible inspection under actinic lighting and your good to go. Place it in medium high to high flow and it will grow while you're looking at it. I had a colony with polyps the diameter of a coffee cup. Good luck.

Mucho

gflat65
06/09/2006, 06:34 AM
Is it safe to say that a lot of Protopalys don't do well in a fresh water dip? In this case, what I mean by Protopalys is those that have not been reclassified as Z. gigantus (PE types). I've been told about Purple Deaths meeting an early demise with fresh water dips, too.

gobygoby
06/09/2006, 06:41 AM
I currently have my colony of grandis under VHO's in a 65 gal tank. I bought some LR off a guy who was breaking down his tank. When I got the rock it was baren, 3 years later I have a HUGE colony of some paly's and a large colony of grandis.....maybe 2 dozen polyps of the grandis and the largest is about 2" across and they are red and white striped. also they are under medium water flow and I can tell you my water quality is crap.

Creetin
06/09/2006, 07:17 AM
Gflat, its rue the purple deaths do not like fw dips. Its imperative you just quarintine them and do what mucho suggested like the sun polyps. I think they are in the same family.
Eric borneman will have a frag soon, and he will let me know what he thinks.

ReefWifey
06/09/2006, 08:30 AM
GobyGoby - Grandis is my new obsession after seeing some in Atlantis in Richmond, VA. Do you have pictures of yours? They sound incredible!

gobygoby
06/09/2006, 08:53 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7528225#post7528225 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by ReefWifey
GobyGoby - Grandis is my new obsession after seeing some in Atlantis in Richmond, VA. Do you have pictures of yours? They sound incredible!

I will try and post a pic tonight. its funny though, when people look at my tank, I have neon green tree leathers, acans, large monti's.....but the first item that usually draws attention is the grandis, because they are unusually large for a traditional "button polyp".....IMO, they are cool, but not that cool :)

clsanchez77
06/09/2006, 02:49 PM
I would love to seem some pictures.

Regarding hig/med/low light and/or flow, my aquascaping accomindates combinations of all and I plan on putting 3-5 colonies of similar colormorphs in the tank, so I can experiment witht he different light/flow locations and see how they react/change.

What are PPE's?

What about Zonathus Pulchulles (did I get that right?) Where would they be found, similar locations? I have found two different references, one stated that they are a deep water specimen (low-mod light/mod flow) and another stateing that they are intertitdal, high light/high flow.

Thanks for the tips. Again, I would like to see some P.grandis photos from those who have them in their tanks. I have seen several wild colony shots but nothing captive.

Mucho Reef: I especially appreciate your input. Your tank of the mont a few years back has been one of two for my inspiration.

Chris

clsanchez77
06/09/2006, 02:51 PM
Oh, and remember, I am not just looking for 'anything from the Caribbean' I am particullary interested in anything specifically found at 75-100' water depth in back reefs and/or rubble zones. Just trying to assemble a specific niche display for the Cherubfish.

Thanks
Chris