PDA

View Full Version : what site has the best "cleaner crew" outline?

areze
06/09/2006, 03:05 PM
I dont buy living stuff on the net that I can get in person. just dont see the reason honestly.

however I need a cleanup crew desperately. and Im not sure what all that should entail.

I know all the different sites list their cleanup crews, but they all vary.

so I want to know what really is a good list to follow.

as in species, and quantity.

tank is 75g FWIW. and it needs cleanup in every possible way. this is a bit of a last ditch effort before starting over. due to 3 inhabitants and 2 corals, Im trying to avoid that though.everything seems generally acceptable, but it took a while to get there, and gathered some random brownish hair-ish algea in the process. the initial 6 astrea snails didnt stand a chance. Id like to have a tank that resembles something attractive if you know what I mean. I was being cheap. Im ready to spend whats needed on clean up now.

migston
06/09/2006, 03:51 PM
I've been doing research on the same thing as of late and so far the two front runners imo are http://saltwaterfish.com and http://etropicals.com

etropicals looks great because they have a section where you can build your own cleanup crew. This lets you tailor make your crew without getting stuff you don't want. i've found that a lot of cleanup crew packages have stuff like blue hermits, cukes, stars and what not that I don't want so being able to tailor make a package with just emerald crabs, astreas and scarlet hermits is great. Also, as long as your order is over $60, shipping is free.

If you want a bigger cleanup crew and don't mind not being able to tailor make it, then salwwaterfish.com has some pretty good packages. They have a minimum $79 order to get free shipping but they also add a couple of additional fees like fuel and box charges so overall you'll probably spend more but you'll get more inverts total than at etropicals.

areze
06/09/2006, 09:00 PM
anyone know a list of the various snails and which can get off their backs?

I had astrea snails, but I believe I lost all but 2 now because they would fall off rocks or glass and I of course would never see them; so gone they went.

I know some can right themselves... which are those?

fsa
06/09/2006, 10:59 PM
areze, my lfs sells mostly margaritas, nassarius, nerites, ceriths and astreas. I've got 3 or 4 of each of them. I would look at exactly what I want/need to do with my tank, then look for/buy the things that would accomplish it. The margaritas I have seem to do a really good job of cleaning my rock and glass. If you only have 6 astrea's for your 75, then that is probably not enough.

If you have a dsb, then I would consider a fighting conch for that part of the cleanup. Depending on how much rock you have, I think that I would try and get another 25-30 or more snails for that size of tank. I have a 45 hex and have bought (6 at a time) about 25 snails over the past 3 months or so. I only see about 10-12 of them at a time, though, so really don't know how many are actually living.

You might consider a couple/few hermits. A lot of people don't like them in their tanks, but I do. I have maybe 10-12 small scarlets and blue legs. Just today I brought one home, what is called a left-handed zebra hermit by my lfs. He is pretty small, but boy, does he have one huge claw. I hope bringing him home was not a mistake.

I don't know much about many of the other things used in cleanup crews like brittle stars, cukes, urchins, etc. Maybe others will give you some good suggestions.

Good luck, Frank

areze
06/10/2006, 06:17 PM
unfortunatly Im not sure what I need to happen in my tank.

its dirty, stuff is coated in a "layer" of hair algea I think. not sure what it is.

also have big fuzzy brown balls, that seem to be giving way to plants... uhhh yeah; no clue whats up with that. fuzzy plants at that. kind of cool looking though. a yellowish color.

anyway; tanks just a bit gross. needs help on all fronts. I had a queen conch, but havent seen her in a while. had a emerald crab; and I know he's KIA for unknown reasons(nothing else in the tank has had any issues.

only other resident cleaner is a peppermint shrimp who's slacking on his aptasia duties.

Sk8r
06/10/2006, 06:36 PM
Try to avoid getting: a cucumber [big fleshy inverts can make a mess if they die]; an emerald crab [don't eat what they're supposed to and have been known to take a piece out of fish]. I'm not fond of brittle stars, either, but some people love them.
I like: every variety of snail, but I'm cool on Mexican turbos; scarlet hermits; conchs; bristleworms; sponges.
Your queen conch is probably in there under the sand. She'll be working, 24/7, but not always visible.