PDA

View Full Version : Devils Plague - Nuisance Anemone

speed123
06/09/2006, 04:37 PM
Hello, this is my first post and I am lost at what to do. My reef tank appears to have nuisance anemones that are multiplying and getting out of control. I want to know a safe way to remove them, a sure proof way that will work or have them not spawn or contaminate any other rock while removing them. I have tried the butterfly fish idea to eat them with a no go. Please help me!!!

Thank you!!!

bluerug
06/09/2006, 05:55 PM
First of all welcome to reefcentral and glad to have you aboard. Now with these pesty anemones i have heard of putting lemon juice in a turkey baster and squezze it on to them and they should die, but dont quote me on this b/c i do not know for sure, lets first see what other people have to say. But once again welcome to the boards.

TOURKID
06/09/2006, 06:18 PM
uhuh. lemonjuice dident work for me. and I read recently if your going to go that route vinegar is better because there is less cemicals and stuff.
Boiling water is a way, along with kalk paste and a few others...

These are the two things that worked for me.

1. buy peppermint shrimp. the more you buy the better chance you have of getting a few that eat the aptasia (pest anemone)
This worked for me. Im pretty sure only 1 out of my 3 eat it though.
AND.. make sure your fishstore knows the difference between peppermint shrimp and camel shrimp. camel shrimp are kinda not reef safe, and they wont eat your aptasia either. (they have a lump on theyre back like a camal)

2. 'joe's juice' made esp. for killing aptasia. I like to turn off all my powerheads and co0ver the anemone. then wait a few seconds and suck the dead pest away with a turkey baster. But if you have a ton of them, dont treat them all at once. do a portion every other day or so. (you can order joes juice at marine depot im pretty sure) i have one lfs that sells it here to.

some people think joes juice is alot like kalk paste... probley is :D

RV8tor
06/09/2006, 07:02 PM
Speed,
I feel your pain, I have been exactly where you are and now my 220 gal is majano free. Just to be sure what we are talking about, if they look like this
"Majano"
http://www.nano-reef.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=924

or this "aiptaisa"
http://www.reefcorner.com/SpecimenSheets/aipatasia.htm

either way I have had both. The way I have eliminated these pest is to get a syringe, no need for a needle either, and mix up some Kalk paste and cover the head of the pest with the paste, you hear people inject the pest with it, I just covered them with it.

To make the paste, mix some kalk and fresh water together so it has the consistency of white glue. Draw the paste in the syringe and cover the pest with it. I was covering about 50 or so a night for weeks. You may be concerned about covering other living things with the kalk paste, I will tell you that my zoos, scrooms, sps, and lps all recovered if they got any on them. remember its just calcium, but do be alittle careful with your other inhabitants.

If you have majanos, they like the light and will be towards the top of the tank, persistence is the key and you will get rid of them. If you touch the head of majanos before covering them they may come back the next day. It may take awhile and like TOURKID said, do not do all of them at once, it helps to have a partner spot for you while you cover them. I never tried joes juice because I am cheap and I had the kalk. I never sucked the pest up either, but whatever works for you. Good luck

speed123
06/10/2006, 06:48 AM
Thank you everyone for your response, I appreciate it alot. I was showing my reef to one of my friends who has not seen it in a while and showed him the pesky little devils and he immediately said Joes Juice. I did some more research on these things and they seem to appear in nutrient high tanks (overfeeding) so feeding will be cut back again I think.

Thanks again for your help!!!