PDA

View Full Version : Fragging toadstool?

kewliz
06/10/2006, 05:41 PM
I've got a toadstool and unfortunately, it's growing larger and is pretty much touching against my BTA. I've heard rumors (on the internets) that you can frag toadstools just by chopping the head off. Is that true? I'd like to chop the crown off and attach it somewhere else in my tank.

Any fragging advice is appreciated.

http://home.comcast.net/~cheesymacod/macro9.jpg

fsn77
06/10/2006, 06:21 PM
Very nice toadstool (and photo)!

See www.garf.org On the left menu, look under Propogation, then Sarcophyton. There's some photos and a movie clip.

You can cut off the entire crown, if it's not overly large (not sure what the size "limit" is); or cut off sections and make multiple frags out of it. I've looked into doing this to our own toadstool (see avatar), but have yet to actually do it. I was told mine was a little large to cut off the entire crown (it's almost 6" across now), so I'll be cutting off a section or two of the ruffled / folded areas once I get brave enough. I was told it was very easy and that I shouldn't worry much about it. If you frag it in-tank, it's recommended to run carbon to catch the chemicals that'll be released when you cut it.

kewliz
06/10/2006, 06:56 PM
cool - thanks- think I'll give it a try -

2crazyreefers
06/10/2006, 07:04 PM
I have fragged many. Just take it out of the tank and cut what you want with a new razor blade. Then rubberband the frag on a piece of rubble rock and they usually attatched within a couple weeks. I have never taken the whole cap off and dont think I ever will.

reefshadow
06/10/2006, 07:14 PM
i have an almost identacle variety, only a little colour difference.

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/20899pink_sarco.jpg

i completely cut the heads off them all the time. i do it in tank with sharp scissors, leaving about an inch of the stalk with the cap. i then sew it to the selected piece of rubble with nylon thread and place it in a low flow area while it heals. the stump left behind will grow a whole new head for me to frag again. they heal fast, with the sewed one sometimes completely opening up by the next day. the stump takes a couple of weeks to regenerate new tentacles. i do run carbon after a fragging session, and have never noticed any ill effects.

my clowns love them too.

kewliz
06/10/2006, 07:55 PM
cool- thanks shadow- and isnt it funny how clowns just whore themselves with anything?
lol

Can I superglue the frag piece to a rock?