PDA

View Full Version : Last minute questions before filling up 24g Aquapod

thomasb
06/10/2006, 07:23 PM
Hi Everyone,

Any help you guys could give me would be much appreciated! I'm completely new to this hobby and I recently purchased an Aquapod 24. I intend to establish a routine reef tank with some fish. I haven't started the 24 yet, but I started a 5gal Eclipse about a month ago. The Eclipse has been going well for a month, and I've finally built up the courage to begin my Aquapod. I have some last minute questions before setting it up, though.

I've done my internet research, purchased a few books (Simple Guide to Mini-Reef aquariums, Saltwater Aquariums for Dummies, The Nano-Reef Handbook, and others), and asked alot of questions at my local fish store. Here's what I'm planning on using in my Aquapod as of right now:

Tahitian moon sand (Caribsea): 30 pounds or so-approx 2" sand bed
"Real Ocean Water" (Catalina Water Company)
Coralife dig thermometer
Coralife Aqualight Power Center
Visi-Therm Stealth 100wt heater
Stock pump
Salifert test kit (Ammonia, Calcium, Nitrite, and Nitrate)

I'm fairly confident with the cycling process, but I need to clearly know how to set up the back 2 chambers (even after many forum searches I still have these simple questions). I'm planning on using the stock pump, and it's set up in the left chamber (stuck to the bottom glass in the pod). Where do I put the thermometer, heater, and sponge? Do I ditch the ceramic media and bio balls and use live rock rubble instead? If so, in what chamber? What about the sponge filter? Right now I have the heater, pump, and thermometer in the left chamber and the right chamber is empty; it's intended for the sponge. Before I fill it with water, though, I want to make sure I'm good! Also, once I fill it with water, should both chambers fill up too? Once I get it filled up, do I run the lights before I add rock in a few days? I know, stupid questions, but I'm getting there...

Any other advice for a simple setup would be greatly appreciated! I'll attach some pics later.

-Tom

thomasb
06/10/2006, 07:41 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/125166top_view_1.JPG

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/125166full_view_with_stand.JPG

boxrrt
06/10/2006, 08:01 PM
thomasb,
I have the same tank, but with the MH light. I placed the heater in the same place that you have yours. I ditched the ceramic stuff, but placed the bio balls in the left side of the right chamber. If you are doing a reef with live rock, you really don't need the bio balls from what I understand. I never took my out though. I kept the foam filter material in the right side of the right chamber. If you leave it in there, like I do, you will need to clean it out about once a month since it will block water flow into the tank. I have seen posts about leaving it in or taking it out. You will hear from both camps I am sure.
As to your thermometer placement, it is really matter of convenience. I have a digital style with a long sensor wire which I have placed in the left chamber close to the pump.
I am currently running a fusion mini skimmer, but I had to take out one of the two pieces of foam on the right side to accomoadte the pump. BTW, I don't recommd this skimmer; it really does not do much.
Here are pics of my current set up. I have to add a few shots of the recent addtion of the skimmer. But let me know if htere is something I can help out with. I only have about a 4 month head start. One of my friends at work helped me set this all up.

Take care,
Karl

My Aqua Pod (http://web.mac.com/karl.rosenbaum/)