PDA

View Full Version : not responding

szwab
06/11/2006, 06:37 AM
I have an AC III hooked up to a pc via ethernet cable with Aquanotes running. Notes is set up to run as a service I usually keep the window open, but minimized through out the day. Everything runs fine, at times though when I come back to the pc Notes is giving me the "aquacontroller not responding" error. Any clues as to what causes this. Is it the controller or my PC? Should I be upset with Bill Gates? :lol:

Lageo04
06/11/2006, 09:21 AM
Ditto szwab: Same thing happens here, I keep notes running 24/7. Sometimes no problems for a few days and then for no reason I can see it just stops responding. You have to go to the controller and do a restart in the net setup to get the controller connected again.
When its connected properly I can access through notes, my web browser, and any outside computer through my IP address.
I have the controller connected through a Ethernet cable to my 2-wire dsl router/modem provided by Bellsouth.
The controller does continue to control and monitor all options for the tank but just quits talking to the computer.
Not the biggest problem in the world just kind of frustrates me to lose all the data from the time it stops responding and when you discover that it's not responding.
Any clues would be appreciated.
Thank You George

szwab
06/11/2006, 10:11 AM
for mine I just need to close the program and restart it.

hotrod122
06/11/2006, 06:01 PM
ditto here.. running 24/7 and i get the dreaded not responding error too...

i have to also close program completely and restart.

lvreefer
06/12/2006, 07:23 AM
Same here. Under the graphs section I get a lot of unknown status' as well :(

dpeddle
06/12/2006, 08:08 AM
I am having the exact same problem. Killing/restarting aquanotes temporarily resolves the problem, but in a couple of hours "Aquacontroller Not Responding".

This is "Usually" not that big of a deal as long as I catch it in a few days and the controllers internal buffer hasn't filled (If that happens TEMP/PH/ORP values are lost[overwritten]). The main problem is keeping track of switch status through aquanotes.

I am pretty sure that this is a problem with AquaNotes as the controller is still working properly, and can be accessed through the internal web server for manual control of attached devices and program updating.

Slickdonkey
06/12/2006, 11:36 AM
I have the exact same problem. I will try some of the suggestions above, including restarting the Aquanotes service, to attemp to fix it.

clp
06/12/2006, 11:56 AM
There have been a couple of reports of this problem, however, we have not been able to replicate it here on a PC that has a debugger installed. It appears to be a bug in the AquaNotes TCP code. I had a similar problem once on my home PC that is connected to a AC3 through a wireless link. Anybody able to make the problem occur on demand? If so please let me know the steps to take.

Curt

dpeddle
06/12/2006, 12:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7545678#post7545678 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clp
There have been a couple of reports of this problem, however, we have not been able to replicate it here on a PC that has a debugger installed. It appears to be a bug in the AquaNotes TCP code. I had a similar problem once on my home PC that is connected to a AC3 through a wireless link. Anybody able to make the problem occur on demand? If so please let me know the steps to take.

Curt

Curt,

This doesn't appear to be anything that you can make happen on demand... I have noticed that when connected via TCP AquaNotes tries (periodically) to re-connect to the controller. I have noticed that when this “re-connect” occurs AquaNotes is forced to the front of all other applications. It appears that during one of these “re-connects” AquaNotes has a problem talking to the controller and thus displays the “Aquacontroller not responding” message. Once this occurs it will not attempt to re-connect again. The only way to get it to connect is to kill/restart the service.

I am running AquaNotes on a computer that I remote desktop into so I don’t notice the exact time that this occurs. I only see the message once I login to that machine. The controller is connected to a D-Link switch (machine with AquaNotes installed is on the same switch).

Hope that helps.

Lageo04
06/12/2006, 07:51 PM
Curt:
I'm going to do some different things and try and find what might be affecting the running of the program. I'll start by seeing how long I can connect without resetting by shutting down the program each time after updating the logs. Might be a long drawn out process but may stumble onto something. I'll keep you posted.

clp
06/13/2006, 10:48 AM
Thanks for the info. I'm going to try some things and see if I can replicate the problem.

Curt

hotrod122
06/13/2006, 06:33 PM
just a heads up.. im NOT using wireless..i did at first and thought that was the problem so i went and bought cable and ran it directly to the AC3...still have connection issues..

Alex33324
01/13/2007, 07:39 AM
I am using the Jr. and is connected using a serial cable I am having the same problem, despite I reboot the computer and the aquacontroller and plug and unplug the cable I am not be able to solve this problem. any suggestions?

clp
01/15/2007, 05:45 PM
hotrod122,
- Double check the network connections. Both the green and yellow LEDs should be on on the AquaController.
- Check the ip address settings in the AquaController. Make sure they match the ip address settings of your network. See http://www.neptunesys.com/hardwareFAQ.htm#ETHERNET for more details.

Alex33324,
You are having a total different kind of problem. The usual problems with serial communication are:
- In correct serial cable is used. Use our part # SERPC9.
- correct serial port not select on the config tab of the database-> tank database window.
- Serial port already in use by another application. If 'Status->Reef Tank' so not responding almost immediately this is the problem.

Curt

Alex33324
01/15/2007, 06:38 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8989956#post8989956 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by clp
hotrod122,
- Double check the network connections. Both the green and yellow LEDs should be on on the AquaController.
- Check the ip address settings in the AquaController. Make sure they match the ip address settings of your network. See http://www.neptunesys.com/hardwareFAQ.htm#ETHERNET for more details.

Alex33324,
You are having a total different kind of problem. The usual problems with serial communication are:
- In correct serial cable is used. Use our part # SERPC9.
- correct serial port not select on the config tab of the database-> tank database window.
- Serial port already in use by another application. If 'Status->Reef Tank' so not responding almost immediately this is the problem.

Curt

I am using Neptune system cable Neptune system controller Neptune system probe Neptune system software etc. etc. etc. In other words its been working fine until 4 days ago that I am getting the same message "AquaController Not Responding"
Itsa not the first time I jave problems with my Aquacomtroller Jr. I had to send it back to Neptune Systems before and I guess here I go again, what is really frustrating is Neptune system customer service they always sugest its either your serial cable or your computer or anything but their product, I wonder what are they going to tell me this time I will keep you inform about the status of this new problem.

Alex33324
01/15/2007, 08:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8990370#post8990370 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Alex33324
I am using Neptune system cable Neptune system controller Neptune system probe Neptune system software etc. etc. etc. In other words its been working fine until 4 days ago that I am getting the same message "AquaController Not Responding"
Itsa not the first time I jave problems with my Aquacomtroller Jr. I had to send it back to Neptune Systems before and I guess here I go again, what is really frustrating is Neptune system customer service they always sugest its either your serial cable or your computer or anything but their product, I wonder what are they going to tell me this time I will keep you inform about the status of this new problem.

I Contatc Neptune system tech support I have to admit they were very helpful, they found what the problem was, and it was a computer related problem and not related to the aquacomtroller nor any other hardware by neptune system.

Cathy8424
03/13/2007, 08:29 PM
I have that problem with mine too.

I want to have AquaNotes running all the time, so I can access my tank remotely.
But AquaNotes does this error and shuts its self off EVERY day. I need it to be reliable.
http://www.salt-city.org/gallery/files/5/ErrorMessage1.jpg
http://www.salt-city.org/gallery/files/5/ErrorMessage2.jpg

Curt, please help me get this straightened out. Is there any updated information for this problem?

Thanks

Cathy8424
03/14/2007, 05:27 PM
Has any one found any solutions to this problem yet?

clp
03/14/2007, 05:33 PM
I think that you are the only one seeing a crash problem - at least no one has reported a similar problem to me. See my other post & email response.

Curt