PDA

View Full Version : 12 gal nano

UmpaLumpa
06/11/2006, 02:40 PM
I've been eyeing one of those aquapod 12 gal nanos and I had a few questions. How much harder are they to keep? Do they come with enough light for corals? I was thinking about makeing some frags of my zoas and putting in it.

What about a skimmer? Do i need one on such as small tank? What would you recomend? Could I put clams in it?

Or would it be a good quarintine tank?

wills
06/11/2006, 03:45 PM
It would be a good QT tank. Should be fine for zoo's if you upgrade to the DX model. No skimmer needed if you do weekly water changes. No clams unless you add a MH light which will lead to heat issues.

NUBIANTANGLOVER
06/11/2006, 07:59 PM
I just purchased an Aquapod and it is currently undergoing set-up. This system is very popular and great, IMO for first time saltwater hobbyists. I too was looking at the 12G Aquapod, when a friend here at RC recommended that I go for the 24G. After much reading on the Nano forum and looking at the price difference, I decided to go w/ the 24G over the 12G. I would suggest this to you. I purchased mine online at Drs. Foster & Smith and so far, it is doing well w/o leaks. I filled it up w/ water to test it and noticed no leaks. I received it w/in 4 days of ordering. And, the difference in the cost of a 12G and a 24G is only $40.00. Right now, the Aquapod 24G is on sale for &169.99. There shipping rate is great too. Only about $13.99 for shipping!!! Also, when you are dealing w/ saltwater, the bigger the gallons the better your chances of stabilty. So a 24g would be the better choice. It's like this: it's easier to pollute a bath tub water than a Junior size Olympic pool. :)

ShY
06/11/2006, 08:51 PM
NUBIANTANGLOVER-
I have also been thinking about seting up a nano aqua system when i get to college. The main question i have with it is lighting it seems from what i can see there is no room to upgrade the lighting and 64w pc's over 24 gallons is ok but i was hoping for more. Are you upgrading yours or are you going to keep it at the standard?

NUBIANTANGLOVER
06/12/2006, 06:34 AM
I'm not upgrading at this point, as the lighting will be great to grow most soft corals. However, you can easily upgrade in the future by simply adding a MH unit that attaches to the tank. They are really affordable and easy to use. Simply, plug and "play" types. Many of RC members purchase the 150 MH for this. Or, you can simply purchase it already installed. You can fing them at nanotuners.com or http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/Shop.cfm?N=2004.

They prices are a little more, but probably the same if not cheaper if you were going to add the MH feature later on. :)

ShY
06/12/2006, 09:11 AM
I will more than likely add one in the future because the upgrade is 130 for 6 more watts of MH. When i can buy a 150 package for a little more as you have stated.