PDA

View Full Version : Feed back on Wave2K or Tunze wave maker?

Hoggn
06/11/2006, 10:03 PM
Does anybody use either one and do you like it? Looking to use this on my 180g.

Wryknow
06/12/2006, 01:37 PM
I just bought a Tunze wavebox for my tank but I haven't gotten it yet. My local LFS has one on their display tank and it is very impressive. I have heard that the wave2K units are noisy and have some maintenance issues, but I don't own one myself. Hopefully someone on the forum has one and can chime in on this.

Hoggn
06/12/2006, 06:16 PM
Thanks for the info. Please update this when you have your wave maker installed and good luck!

Ironsheikh
06/13/2006, 07:27 AM
wave2k has problems only if not properly adjusted --
I noticed that the price increased $45 all of a sudden, probably cuz everyone wants one

anyway --I think you'll need 2 for a 180 so thats going to run you $500

advena
06/25/2006, 05:58 PM
dunno if you made your decision, but i run a wave2k on my tank and i love it...
great effect and moves a LOT of water, and keeps everything (food etc.) in suspension...

i have my rock arranged in a sort of "hollow inside" kinda way that allows the lower area to still push/pull tons of water (there are openings on the front & sides, top & bottom that pull/push water all day long ).

i must say that i have been working with mine for a couple months to get it "silent" and after talking to the owner, Mike (at least i think he's the owner), he is sending me out a new unit to see if that fixes the noise issue.

for me this machine is great and it allows me to run my tank without ANY powerheads in the display or extra plumbing (closed circuit or whatever)... now all i need to do is get the dang thing silent.

i will letcha know how the new unit works.

oh yeah... im also going to enclose this new wave2k in a black acrylic box so that:
a) i dont have to look at this ugly, ugly, box.
b) be able to stack rock right up against it (it "breathes" when its running so if you have rock against it, the rock moves too).

i wouldnt want to have more than one of these on any tank (unless the new box is waaaaay quieter) and would also have to decide if the price was worth it.
i must say that on my system (110 gal) it was hard to justify a $600 wavemaker over a $215 wavemaker ;)
i also think that running two wave2k's on one tank would be less than desirable as it seems to me that you couldnt control them or sync them to each other and might create some nasty motion (although it might work great & be very variable).

the Tunze is obviously tuneable to a high degree, so this wouldnt be an issue with multiple Tunze boxes.

on a 110gal there is TONS of movement with just the one center unit... on a 180 you will need other stuff moving water in the tank most likely.

hope this helps!