PDA

View Full Version : Leather Coral looks like its rotting away

cattfish
06/12/2006, 05:35 AM
We have a leather coral, loks alot like the cauliflower coral, and it is starting to 'disintergrate'. Its base and some of its stems are turning flakey, almost into tiny segments and appears to be rotting away. We had it quite high on the LR, but have since lowered it to the sandbed, after instructions that the MH lighting might have been to severe. What is happening to it? And could it be a problem to my other corals?
Thanks

crzy4reefs
06/12/2006, 06:39 AM
any chance of a picture? hard to say what could be wrong with it, is it getting any flow?

junglejim83
06/12/2006, 11:07 AM
I have had this happen as well. If it lookes like its just sort of on the surface and not the actual structure of the coral I've seen mine sort of 'molt' as they are growing. However, if it is however like you describe it, and the coral is no longer reacting to any sort of stimuli it could be a dieing/dead. If it is a massive colony and there are healthy parts you could cut of the healthy parts and have them re-attach to another rock. however your tank has substantial volume so unless you are sure it is dead leve it in and see what happens. But if you see it going bad get it out of there there is no reason to sacrifice the health of your whole system. And pictures would be a big time help