PDA

View Full Version : Gigas in BB Tank

bljohnson
06/12/2006, 09:59 AM
I have a Gigas for about 2 months now that is doing well. I have been removing my sand bed slowly over the last few months to make the tank BB.

When I had sand, the Gigas would move everyday around the sand and moving sand everywhere. Since I have gone BB in the spot where it is at, it seems to move everywhere. What should I do? It is hard to get it to sit flat on the glass b/c it is "V" shaped on the bottom and easily rocks back and forth. The Gigas will not stick to anything either even though its gland is fully intact. I have 1 Crocea and 2 Maxs that I have no problems with.

jmaneyapanda
06/13/2006, 02:50 PM
If I am not mistaken, some older gigas do not readily attach to surfaces, but rather "wander" or rely on their own weight to anchor them. You may be stuff with this walking clam.

witfull
06/14/2006, 01:30 AM
gigas are a sand clam. they need it to maintain balance and location. you could have to much flow low in the tank for him. if you are going to go BB, i would seriously consider a new home for the gigas, or build him a sandbox out of a tupperware container.

bljohnson
06/14/2006, 01:40 AM
When I bought him he was attached to a rock at the LFS. The LFS used the proper technique to remove... ie tilting clam and razor closest to the rock. The gland looks good but it wont stick and . What do you think about finding a piece of rock that has a "hole" in it for the Gigas "v shaped bottom" to sit in. I also didn't mention that the Gigas is already 4-5" large. Thanks for all the help so far. Any more suggestions? I really like this clam and do not want to get rid of it unless I absolutely have to.

mbbuna
06/14/2006, 07:15 AM
when Gigas clams grow larger they rely on there weight to hold them in place and dont use there byssal gland, i wouldn't worry that its not attaching.

as for Gigas (or any other clam) being a "sand clam" this is not true. clams are almost always found in close association with the reef. Gigas is commonly found up in the reef structure or at the base of the reef on hard substrate. these clams will only be found on sand in sheltered areas where the sand doesn't move very much.

wild Gigas in there natural setting

http://img107.imageshack.us/img107/4209/tridacnaclams5ha.jpg

bljohnson
06/14/2006, 10:13 AM
I forgot to mention I have a Tunze wavebox in the tank. I also have a Mag 18 and Mag 5 as returns and am using (2) Seio 1500 and (1) Seio 820 in the tank. The Mags and Seios don't affect the clam... but the wavebox does make the clam rock on the bottom if it is not pressed up against some rock. The clam does occasionally *forcefully* open and close - so I thinkg it is purposely trying to move... but I have had it in every possible configuration in my tank.