PDA

View Full Version : somthing wierd going on with my Ca level

acroreef123
06/12/2006, 09:22 PM
So here is whats happening, I just recently switched to B-ionic for Ca and alk supp. and started off dosing 20 ml every day and after about a week of dosing that daily I got my water tested at my LFS and they said the Ca was at 500ppm and the alk was at 9dkh, so to lower the Ca I stoped dosing the B-ionic and was just dosing Kent coral builder to keep my alk levels in check, then after a week of not dosing Ca I went back to the LFS to get tested and the alk was at 10dkh and Ca was still at 500ppm! What could be causing this? I'm really worried anyone have any ideas?

acroreef123

migston
06/12/2006, 09:52 PM
Those levels are high but I don't think that they're dangerously high. Just quit dosing for a few days to let your system use up the excess.

It seems like maybe your calcium load isn't all that high. Do you not have corraline algae and stony corals? Check your pH too.

Craig Lambert
06/12/2006, 10:02 PM
9dKH for alk is just fine. Lots of people (including myself) keep it at 10. You could just continue dosing the alk portion of b-ionic and skip the calcium portion until it falls to around 430. What salt mix is this?

Paulairduck
06/12/2006, 10:13 PM
Those numbers are on the high side, but still good, some people have trouble getting their calcium that high. Just dose the b-ionic every other day, that is what I do. I also use kalkwasser on the other days, it helps my PH stay right on!!

Every aquarium requires different levels of supplements, just keep testing every week to see where you stand!!!

acroreef123
06/13/2006, 10:53 AM
But the wierd thing is that when I was dosing 20ml of B-ionic daily after two weeks the Ca wasstayingat 500 and then after 1 wk. of dosing nothing it did not drop at all.

acroreef123

Craig Lambert
06/13/2006, 10:58 AM
What type of test kit are you using? If you're not using Salifert, I recommend picking one up.

acroreef123
06/13/2006, 11:01 AM
But the wierd thing is that when I was dosing 20ml of B-ionic daily after a week the Ca was staying at 500ppm and then after 1 wk. of dosing nothing it did not drop at all, and the tank is filled with 20 different types of monti, acro and pocci colonys as well as many different LPS corals. I am not so worried about the levels as much as I am worried about the reason that my Ca has not lowered at all in a week of no dosing.

acroreef123

acroreef123
06/13/2006, 11:04 AM
My LFS uses Salifert tests.

Craig Lambert
06/13/2006, 11:06 AM
With your tank being stocked that heavily, it isn't possible that Calcium isn't being used up to some degree. I would buy your own Salifert Alk, Calcium, and Magnesium test kits, and run the tests yourself.