PDA

View Full Version : found my first aptasia.....what to do?

Nabob89
06/12/2006, 09:25 PM
well i spotted the first aptasia in my fuge today.....it looks like small, brown anemone. Its sitting on top of the ball of chaeto in my HOB fuge currently.....i've looked but haven't seen any in the display tank. Should I be worried/get rid of it? It's only in the fuge, so I don't see how its a threat to the corals in the display tank. All that is in my fuge with it is chaeto, pods, and some small featherdusters on the rock rubble. is anything threatened by this little guy?

kraze3
06/12/2006, 09:31 PM
If you want to get rid of it...
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=803632

Nabob89
06/12/2006, 09:34 PM
well I'll only get rid of it if it is a threat to the other fuge/tank inhabitants....if it is unlikely to spread to the display tank from the fuge, then I see no point in killing it.....if it is a threat, should I just try to pluck it from the fuge with tweezers (it quickly drops slightly into the chaeto every time my hand enters the fuge, but I think I could catch it if i was fast enough)

kraze3
06/12/2006, 09:43 PM
Ive seen pics where aiptasia has taken over the whole tank. If it can go from the fige to the tank im not sure. If it were my tank id get rid of it. Thats just my opinion though, maybe someone else will post and tell you its worth keeping.

JRistau81
06/12/2006, 09:53 PM
I'd use Joes Juice to nuke that little monster.

Nabob89
06/12/2006, 10:31 PM
how do i use joe's juice? just drip it into the fuge?....and by the way, I just found a second one in the cheato....

funman1
06/12/2006, 10:58 PM
Joes juice will come with directions, however all you have to do is shut down all water flow.
Fill the syringe with joes juice, squirt it onto the anenome, it will eat it and then die.. make sure you only hit the anenomne.

Let it die then,

15-20 mins later turn back on the pumps and all is better..

leesanhua
06/12/2006, 11:42 PM
yes. i use jose juice too.

Avast Marine
06/13/2006, 12:07 AM
I have had one in my 29 for a couple years now. Never multiplied and is actually quite large and beautiful. I realize that I am probably an exception and the spread like weeds in others tanks but, this one left alone has never hurt anything and infact is a very good indicator of my water quality.