PDA

View Full Version : Need help with my PPE

luisprado
06/13/2006, 09:47 AM
I traded for some PPE about 1 1/2 weeks ago. Ever since I received the frag, the have been fully opened and simply awesome looking. However, yesterday morning they opened like usual but around noontime my wife called me from home and said they closed up. I told her not to worry that maybe something brushed up against it and caused them to close. Later that evening I came home from work and my PPE were still closed. I woke up this morning and they were still closed. Yesterday when I got home I checked my water param to make sure everything was good and this is what I got from my readings.

PH 8.2
Ammo. 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate less than 10
Phosphates 0.5
calcium 400
Salinity 1.023

Everything checked out as it should. Is there something else I should be checking for? Are there any suggestions from you guys?

Thanks.

MinibowMatt
06/13/2006, 09:54 AM
zoanthids can go through this phase... Keep an eye on it, watch for sings of fungus or infection. If it goes a week closed, I would worry more, but I would be worrying now too --since its PPE...
Keep us updated..

MinibowMatt
06/13/2006, 10:01 AM
zoanthids can go through this phase... Keep an eye on it, watch for sings of fungus or infection. If it goes a week closed, I would worry more, but I would be worrying now too --since its PPE...
Keep us updated..

surfnvb7
06/13/2006, 10:36 AM
make sure nothing is stinging them.

also, i noticed you are using a nano cube. alot of people haven't had good experiences with protopalys/zoa gigantus, such as people eaters, under nano cube PC lighting. may be something to think about long term...

luisprado
06/13/2006, 11:04 AM
I doubt anything is stinging the PPE since they are on their own without touching any other coral or any other coral coming close to them.

I've grown a 18 polyp colony of RPE to 30+ in just 2 months. I've also grown a greenish/brownish colored zoa gigantus from 3 polyps to 9 in about a month. Is the PPE any different from the 2 I just mentioned? The reason I mention this is because I also have several other palys in there that have grown to larger colonies without dying

surfnvb7
06/13/2006, 11:12 AM
i wouldnt worry about it then, its prob just being fussy. the best thing you can do for it, is to just leave it alone.

if you dont see any fungus infection, and nothing stinging it, and everything else in the tank doing fine. there really isnt much more you can do other than changing the placement (flow and light). but changing it around too much will just cause it to be more ****ed off.

luisprado
06/13/2006, 11:15 AM
Cool. I will be patient and see what happens today. I feel the sameway about moving it around and all. I try to get it right the first time around, if not then I try to minimize how many times I move them around.

Thanks for the advice.

Jovreefer
06/13/2006, 11:59 AM
Just wanted to add ... PPE's do great under PC's mine have been under PC's for 5 years before I upgraded to MH. being close to the MH can do more damage & kill a PPE... not PC's.

second, PPE's are not like your RPE's or green ones. Those grow fast in everyone's tanks, does not mean your PPE's will. sorry.

Where do you have your PPE's placed?

I've herd some people say theirs close up to conserve energy before budding a new polyp off. I've never seen mine personally do this though. I also know a PPE can go for at least 2 months fully closed & still survive, one of my frags did this after being attacked by an acan.

luisprado
06/13/2006, 12:11 PM
I have them at the top of my rockwork under 136watts PC. They have been doing great there for the last week and half. Should I move or just leave them be and see if they eventually open up?

Jovreefer
06/13/2006, 12:53 PM
Do you know what lights they came from?

I had mine at the top under my pc's for about 2 years, but I dont think I had that many watts.. I dont remember though :( They prefer actinic lighting too so if you have one 10k & one actinic bulb & the frag is under the 10k I'd switch the bulbs so its under the actinic.

zarro
06/13/2006, 04:50 PM
HI

luisprado
06/18/2006, 12:07 AM
Well, my PPE didn't make it. I even began running a bag of phosban to bring my phosphates down to 0 but they still didn't make it. I'm pretty sad right now, this was they way of luring my wife into the saltwater hobby. She was always criticizing me and how much I spent until she saw the PPE's and then wanted some. Now she is pretty :mad2: that they didn't make it and back to criticizing me again. :(

I need PPE's to get the ministry of defense of my back ;)

surfnvb7
06/18/2006, 12:21 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7581117#post7581117 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by luisprado
Well, my PPE didn't make it. I even began running a bag of phosban to bring my phosphates down to 0 but they still didn't make it. I'm pretty sad right now, this was they way of luring my wife into the saltwater hobby. She was always criticizing me and how much I spent until she saw the PPE's and then wanted some. Now she is pretty :mad2: that they didn't make it and back to criticizing me again. :(

I need PPE's to get the ministry of defense of my back ;)
dont worry, if they had survived, she would still be criticizing you for them growing slowly. i feel your pain. we can never win ;)

luisprado
06/18/2006, 01:15 AM
The good thing was that she was happy. Sticking her face in front of the tank like I do so many times a day. She loved that deep purple center with the green mouth. Who knows maybe she still would have criticized the slow growth but at least she was happy.:rolleyes:

Pazazz
06/18/2006, 01:33 AM
See if you can increase the water flow to the area abit...

Me No Nemo
06/18/2006, 01:34 AM
Were you feeding yours? I feed mine regularly. They love cyclopeez and mysis. I've found they do much better and grow faster if I use the water bottle method of spot feeding them 2-3 times a week. Sorry for your loss, but thought I'd post that in case you try again. GL, Marcye

luisprado
06/18/2006, 08:06 AM
I was spot feeding mysys mixed with cyclopeeze.

I don't flow was a problem, I increased the flow in to make sure that the PPE was getting enough.

I wish I had a second chance with PPE.