PDA

View Full Version : I have mold in my RO collection tub

MHannon
06/13/2006, 12:13 PM
I have a 44 gallon Rubbermaid Brute trash can with a 1" gate valve that I fill with RODI water for top off and water changes. There is a maxijet 1200 for circulation and an air stone for airation. there is mold growing on the inside where the condensation collects on the side of the can. Is this ok? How do I get rid of it? I have a vent on the lid to try to decrease the humidity, but it did not work. I can not take the lid off because it is in my garage, and I dont want anything (dirt, dust, etc.) to get into it.

DrChaos619
06/13/2006, 12:33 PM
Mold multiplies by sending spores into the air and flourishes in dark or dimly lit places that are moist. I could be wrong but perhaps there is something organic or perishable that is growing mold in the vicinity and sent its spores around, landed in your condensation collector and set up shop.

If thats not the case then you may have some organics in the collector.

I wouldn't worry about it and just scoop it out.

Aquaduck
06/13/2006, 01:46 PM
Don't run the air stone. You are introducing mold spores through the air pump and there is no need to oxygenate this water. Just oxygenate the new saltwater mix before you use it. So clean it out, drain it (use the water) and refill but turn off the air.

rustybucket145
06/13/2006, 03:38 PM
Clean it with bleach, rinse WELL, lose the airstone and start back up.

MHannon
06/14/2006, 11:53 AM
thanks guys. If I wash it with bleach and get rid of it, wont it just come back because of the humidity?

college429
06/14/2006, 12:20 PM
Don't circulate or use air stone. (As said before) You only need to circulate and use air after you mix in salt.

8BALL_99
06/14/2006, 02:37 PM
I never use an airpump in my saltwater mix or Ro water... I just run a powerhead.. Like they said the airpump is pumping air from your garage into your ro water :eek: lol you might as well take the lid off if your going to use the pump..

MHannon
06/14/2006, 03:13 PM
I just washed it with bleach and rinsed very well. I pulled the air stone out so we will see if it comes back.

thereefgeek
06/14/2006, 03:31 PM
Have you tested the TDS of your product water lately?
How about back flushing your RO membrane?
When's the last time you changed your sediment and carbon pre-filters or your DI resin?

MHannon
06/14/2006, 09:06 PM
I do not know the TDS. Next time I go to the LFS I will have it tested.
I have not back flushed it either (nor do I know how to. If anyone can tell me, it would be appreciated)
I have not changed the filters yet. The system is only 5 months old.

BeanAnimal
06/15/2006, 07:00 AM
RO water has nothing in it to prevent mold or bacteria growth (remember we took it all out with RO/DI).

As mentioned, lose the airstone. You can also lose the pump as it really serves no purpose either. Keep the lid sealed tight and wash the container with bleach on ocasions. You should also change ALL of your RO/DI consumables at a minimum of every 6 months and clean the entier system (housings etc) with bleach to prevent algea, mold or bacteria growth in the system.

thereefgeek
06/15/2006, 07:21 AM
Plumb one of these into the system and flush the membrane every couple weeks:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RO1313

A cheap TDS meter will tell you when to change filters:

http://www.marinedepot.com/md_viewItem.asp?idproduct=RO1351

MHannon
06/16/2006, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the links thereefgeek.