PDA

View Full Version : xtrstangx's 180g diary thread

Pages : [1] 2

xtrstangx
06/13/2006, 04:26 PM
Well, after a few changes, decided to go with the 180g..

You can see the 120g's idea thread here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=746304&highlight=xtrstangx
And the 40g's thread here:
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=583948&highlight=diary

Display- 180g RR
Sump- 75g drilled for an auto water change system
Lighting- 3x250w Reeflux 10K run on Reef Fanatic e-ballasts in a ReefOptix 1 reflector
Actinics- 4 4' URI Super Actinics... the ballasts that I have can only run 8' of bulbs, no reason to sell them, I'll stagger the bulbs
Skimmer- ASM G-4X (biiig skimmer)
Live Rock- 180-200 pounds mixed Fiji, Tonga, and Marshall Islands (fully cooked)
Return- GenX PCX-40 run through a OM SS
Sandbed- 120-160 pounds Caribsea Seafloor Grade Special with 3/8" Starboard underneath (in case I ever change my mind)
Flow- 2 Tunze 6100's, Tunze Multicontroller, 2 Seio 820's, 2-3 mixed Maji-jets in the rock
Other filtration- 2 Phosban reactors, one for carbon one for RowaPhos
Controller- Reefkeeper 2

So far the fish room is basically done. We have to put the trim around the floor (forgot the name =x) After that, we are done with it.

We are picking up the tank Saturday. Chances are we will go with a standard 180g and have him drill the bottom (don't worry, its not tempered) for a 1.5" bulkhead for the drain. $10, but he guarantees the tank if it breaks.

Housing mostly SPS with a few zoos and such. The flow is around 53x turnover.

I decided not to go BB.. The idea is nice, but after seeing a few BB tanks decided it wasn't the most aesthetically pleasing. That and all the great tanks with a SSB were reason enough to come back to sandbeds.

Once I start working again, I'll be purchasing a calcium reactor setup from http://aquaticsystemsdesign.com ... he's local to me and does great work.

143gadgets
06/13/2006, 06:39 PM
Cool. I will be following this one even closer. I hope to have my 180 up by the end of the year!

xtrstangx
06/13/2006, 06:55 PM
I promise no more changes.

Already told my parents that I'd let them buy me the sand for the tank. ;) They're excited not to have a BB tank, I'm excited not to buy sand.

BreadmanMike
06/13/2006, 07:02 PM
Just a suggestion.... silicone that starboard down, or you will get a ton of sand and detritus underneath it.

yoboyjdizz
06/13/2006, 07:05 PM
Sounds like and very interesting setup. I too got the asm g4x and that sucker is huge! Did you get any mods for it? I too also like the look of some sand as well. Good luck can't wait to see pictures of your progress!

King-Kong
06/13/2006, 07:13 PM
Are you set on the ASM?

Have you made any considerations towards MRC MR-2?

I'm running a G2 on my 90 and will be getting a second skimmer; I want a MR-1, but logistics are difficult; may have to settle for a G3.

xtrstangx
06/13/2006, 07:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7555433#post7555433 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Aquaticman74
Just a suggestion.... silicone that starboard down, or you will get a ton of sand and detritus underneath it.

Aquaticman74: Silicone it down? I see no reason not to, so I will.. thanks for the tip.

yoboyjdizz: Already have a gate valve for it... I'm thinking about doing the recirc, not sure if I want to yet.

King-kong: Already bought it.. got an awesome deal on it locally. My sump is big enough to handle a second skimmer (like a G-1X pretty easily)

xtrstangx
06/13/2006, 07:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7555516#post7555516 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by King-Kong
Have you made any considerations towards MRC MR-2?

Forgot to mention:

The G-4X is the 3rd ASM skimmer I have owned. I have had great success with these skimmers and I am extemely pleased with them.

I thought the about the MR-2... but I like my needlewheels :D

King-Kong
06/13/2006, 07:35 PM
I havent used a beckett [yet], but those that have used both seem to give the nod to the becketts, as far as protein skimming is concerned; other factors lower their score, but raw performance, they seem superior.

Those "other" factors are what might stop me from getting one, however.

yoboyjdizz
06/13/2006, 08:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7555556#post7555556 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx

yoboyjdizz: Already have a gate valve for it... I'm thinking about doing the recirc, not sure if I want to yet.

King-kong: Already bought it.. got an awesome deal on it locally. My sump is big enough to handle a second skimmer (like a G-1X pretty easily)

I Did the recirc mod on mine with a maxijet 1200 my tank is still drive so can't comment on the added performance. I highly doubt you will need anything else then a G4x on your system. Even without the mods.

yoboyjdizz
06/13/2006, 11:36 PM
i ment my tank is still dry..

xtrstangx
06/13/2006, 11:42 PM
After I saw the skimmer, thats what I thought. I think its a big enough of a skimmer to handle the 180g, even without being recirc...

I may just make it recirc for the heck of it anyways.

yoboyjdizz
06/13/2006, 11:48 PM
Yep can never overskim! I skim a few of your previous threads in the past...but not sure if you mention what type of setup you have in mind fish and coral wise in this bigger tank?

xtrstangx
06/13/2006, 11:58 PM
I'm going for a 80% SPS with some zoos and LPS.

Fish I am keeping what I have in my 40g:
Flame Angel
Yellow Watchman Goby
Sixline Wrasse
2 Ocellaris Clownfish

I know I want a Powder Blue Tang and maybe a second tang (leaning towards a Yellow, but thats sort of overdone, no?). Also going with 3 or 5 Chromis, definately.

Avast Marine
06/14/2006, 12:24 AM
When you say plumbed for auto water change are you refering to the Calfo style? This is how I plumbed my new set up. I am almost finished with the set up so I have been using while water testing and it is awesome.

143gadgets
06/14/2006, 08:15 AM
I would go with antias instead of the chromis. I love my lyretails

King-Kong
06/14/2006, 08:29 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7557139#post7557139 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
I'm going for a 80% SPS with some zoos and LPS.

Fish I am keeping what I have in my 40g:
Flame Angel
Yellow Watchman Goby
Sixline Wrasse
2 Ocellaris Clownfish

I know I want a Powder Blue Tang and maybe a second tang (leaning towards a Yellow, but thats sort of overdone, no?). Also going with 3 or 5 Chromis, definately.

As always, you know the risks associated w/ the dwarf/pygmy angels; healthy, large SPS can deal with the occaisional nipper, just beware the brutish angels.

I would strongly suggest you buildup your herbivore team. I recently purchased a virgatus rabbitfish (spine foot, twin barred, are other names it is known as) and wow; what a fish! He immediately began eating my (thankfully) receeding bryopsis and also eats bubble aglae and red turf. This fish is incredible. There is a similiar version called a doliatus who has better coloration: please strongly consider researching this and checking them. I cant sing their praises enough.

The rabbitfish also taught my purple tang (who already was eating my red turf) to eat the bryopsis.

Consider also one of the bristletooth tangs; kole, chevron. Their grazing abilities will really cut down on your maintenance.

I think we should all strive to house fish that can live off of our tanks instead of relying on our constant supplementation.

Also, with such a big tank, perhaps a mandarin (instead of the sixline?) is in order!

xtrstangx
06/14/2006, 10:15 AM
King-kong:

Definately a Mandarin.
I was planning on a rabbitfish, hadn't narrowed it down to which one exactly.

The Flame Angel is going to stay in the 40g for a while once the 180g is up and running so we can see how the SPS react without him. I think he is nipping, but he's my dad's favorite fish and would be veeeeery hard to get rid of.

King-Kong
06/14/2006, 10:33 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7558781#post7558781 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
King-kong:

Definately a Mandarin.
I was planning on a rabbitfish, hadn't narrowed it down to which one exactly.

The Flame Angel is going to stay in the 40g for a while once the 180g is up and running so we can see how the SPS react without him. I think he is nipping, but he's my dad's favorite fish and would be veeeeery hard to get rid of.

I dont blame him. I was very sad to get rid of mine, and from time to I still want to get another one.

Anyways, as far as the rabbitfish are concerned; most are prettier than the two I listed, but none are more well known for their algae-eating abilities.

All rabbitfish, however, can deal with less swimming room than their cousins, the tangs, and are some of the most disease-resistant fish available.

King-Kong
06/14/2006, 10:35 AM
Oh, also, as far as angel's are concerned, there are other angels which are more SPS safe.

swallowtails, regals, etc.

xtrstangx
06/14/2006, 10:42 AM
Yeah, there is a lot of beatiful angels that may have to replace him.

I wish I could keep a butterflyfish... there are so many beautiful ones, but they aren't reef safe or they die in captivity.

King-Kong
06/14/2006, 10:50 AM
yeah, tell me about it. Butterfly are INCREDIBLE.

The copperband is the one I most commonly see in reef tanks. It will def. eat your tube worms/feather dusters, but I havent heard much more of a risk besides it's delicate health issues.

I know bomber kept a pair of butterflies in his SPS/LPS tank, just not sure which ones.

Some people are able to have such healthy SPS corals in such a large tank that they can get away with non-reef safe inhabitants because the corals can withstand it.

xtrstangx
06/14/2006, 10:59 AM
The Copperbands can nip at both SPS and clams, both of which are gonna be in the new tank.

I may have to go through Bomber's thread and see if anyone asked him what kind.

xtrstangx
06/19/2006, 09:59 AM
Well, we were going to get the tank on Saturday, but we had relatives come in from Ohio. Plus we need to find someone to help my dad carry the tank. I have a broken leg (femur) and my brother (who was going to carry it) has a broken ankle, which explains why the project is going to slow...

So probably sometime this week or this weekend.

King-Kong
06/19/2006, 10:18 AM
wooo :)

Avast Marine
06/19/2006, 05:04 PM
Question:

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7557206#post7557206 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dandy7200
When you say plumbed for auto water change are you refering to the Calfo style?

xtrstangx
06/19/2006, 07:42 PM
I've never heard of the Calfo style.. I've never heard of anyone else doing what I'm planning on doing either.

Basically, my SW mixing trash can is right next to the sump in the fish room. I am going to hard plumb a Mag 9.5 (even if I have to glob it in silicone to waterproof it, it has to be external!).. Basically, it has either a recirculating loop or it will pump out. Depending on how the ball valves are opened will change how the pump goes.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/waterchange.jpg

The sump has a 3/4" bulkhead drilled on the very bottom of the side. When the sump is off, it will drain about 30g out of that section in the sump. The bulkhead leads to a ball valve and then drops into the sink.

So the order of operation:
1. Turn off return pump (RK2)
2. Open sump ball valve and drain 30g out of the sump)
3. Close sump ball valve
4. Turn off Mag 9.5 (it is on a switched outlet, so just gotta flick a switch)
5. Switch the ball valves on the Mag 9.5's output.
6. Turn the Mag 9.5 and watch the sump fill up.
7. Turn off Mag 9.5 when water level is close to where it was before
8. Switch ball valves again on the Mag 9.5 and restart it.
9. Restart the return pump.

The main points:
1. Never get your hands wet
2. Never touch a power cord
3. Let gravity drain the sump, not a pump.. One less thing to buy and plug in.
4. Have the Mag 9.5 as efficient as possible being that it will mix salt as well as function as a water change pump.

The only flaws with the system is the difficulty of getting the water level exactly the same as before. This isn't a problem for me, but may be for others using the system. I will manually top off every day... For when I go on vacation, I already have an autotopoff device that I can plug in.

I decided not to use an autotopoff for now because I've heard way too many stories about them breaking. If I do decide to get one in the future, I'd probably go with 3 float switches for added security. Maybe in the fall once I start school again, but I have plenty of time now in the summer (and no vacations because of my leg... be way too hard to get around)

King-Kong
06/19/2006, 08:25 PM
I am so jealous; come to think of it, if I drilled by sump, and put a hole in the side of my house, I could do that too!

:(

nice work, sounds good.

xtrstangx
06/19/2006, 11:02 PM
I'll have to post a pic of the fish room next time I go downstairs (stairs + crutches = dangerous)

We have the trash cans in (SW and FW).. I haven't plumbed the Mag 9.5 yet, but we put the sink in and the sump is in for a test fit.

143gadgets
06/20/2006, 12:34 AM
Sounds great! Can't wait to see pics.

xtrstangx
06/24/2006, 12:21 PM
Getting my 55g barrel today so I can start plumbing it for the water change system.

Probably getting the tank. My brother took the truck out of town for the weekend and so we are probably going to use our Honda CR-V.. A 1' or so of the tank will stick out the back :/

Avast Marine
06/24/2006, 12:32 PM
Nice well thought out WC system. This (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=706257) is what I was reffering to. I look forward to seeing fish room pics when you get your legs back :).

xtrstangx
06/24/2006, 01:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7620743#post7620743 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dandy7200
Nice well thought out WC system. This (http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=706257) is what I was reffering to. I look forward to seeing fish room pics when you get your legs back :).

Thats actually a pretty good idea. I may have to change my plans a little bit... The only problem I see is if I pump 50g into my 75g sump (running volume of like 55g or so), I'd end up taking out a LOT of new water.. or I could do smaller waterchanges like 5g every other day.

Avast Marine
06/24/2006, 03:21 PM
Like I said I have modified it a little. What I do is use a aqualifter pump to slowly pump new water into my system starting on Sunday morning. The new water then gets mixed into the old through normal circulation, then Sunday night when I feed and the return is turned off, the surge to overflow happens and all of the water is changed and emptied down the floor drain. When the pump is turned back on the level that everything settles out to is the EXACT spot you put in your float switch for your ATO. This is pretty fail safe IMHO.
That being said, it would be pretty easy to do a 25Gal WC with your setup using this system.

Avast Marine
06/24/2006, 03:26 PM
So yes you do change a little of the new water, 180 display+50 sump = 230. 23 (easy #) gallon water change increases volume to 252 gallons, so roughly 10% of the water is new. After the surge 23 gallons is pumped out 2.3 gallons is the water you just put in and 20.7 gallons is old water. This works out to a 9% waterchange rather than 10%. So it's not really as bad as you would think at first.

xtrstangx
06/24/2006, 04:13 PM
Hmm, I'm gonna have to look and see if I can adapt to this method. Seems easier and I may end up getting a new autotopoff.

Water changes are gonna get expensive at 25g/change. Wow!

xtrstangx
06/27/2006, 08:13 PM
dandy7200: I'm switching to Calfo's idea for draining the water. Seems much easier.

Going to get a custom topoff made by http://autotopoff.com so I'll feel safe having it.

No tank yet... hopefully this weekend. Then we can drill it and I can do my rock rack.. I'm going to do it all out of 3/4" PVC but have 2 acrylic "cradles" to hold Seio's behind the rockwork. They will point diagonal across the back of the tank to get any "dead" spots.

Avast Marine
06/27/2006, 09:27 PM
What is your plan for the overflows, plumbing the ss, etc, etc, etc....besides many trips to Home Depot :).

xtrstangx
06/27/2006, 09:30 PM
The overflow is just going to be a single 1.5" bulkhead with a durso standpipe straight to the sump. The return will be a GenX PCX-40 which will do about 700-800 GPH when it gets to the Super Squirt. The Super Squirt will just return the water to 4 1" 90º elbows right below the water level. It is the sequential so it will go port 1, 2, 3, then 4.

I'm thinking of arranging the ports along the back of the tank to do this to create some wave action:
1 3 2 4

Edit- On tomorrow's agenda is to do a full plumbing plan for the tank. After I finish with that, I may have to draw it in AutoCAD and draw the whole setup :D

xtrstangx
07/03/2006, 04:11 PM
Just got the tank.

Things left to do:
Build the stand/canopy
Paint the stand
Paint the cabinets in the basement and put trim on the floor in the basement

Very exciting.

thor32766
07/03/2006, 04:27 PM
sweet looking setup!

xtrstangx
07/03/2006, 10:51 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7675253#post7675253 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thor32766
sweet looking setup!

Thanks.

I ordered all my plumbing tonight.. bulkheads and spaflex.

Gotta get my custom topoff ordered and then order my Tunze Streams along with a few small things.

yoboyjdizz
07/03/2006, 11:28 PM
any pictures on the process so far?

xtrstangx
07/03/2006, 11:32 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7677529#post7677529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoboyjdizz
any pictures on the process so far?

I will take pics tomorrow of the finished sump and of the new tank. The new tank is very very nice. Clean black silicone and the beveled edge. The only drawback is there is a glass brace in the center that is rather large. I can fill that section in with zoanthids and monti caps anyways. Pretty much a steal at $475 though.

yoboyjdizz
07/03/2006, 11:43 PM
475 for a 180g i say thats a pretty good deal!

xtrstangx
07/03/2006, 11:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7677570#post7677570 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoboyjdizz
475 for a 180g i say thats a pretty good deal!

Have a link to your setup? Love to see the 280g.

Yeah, the fish store just moved into a much larger space that came with a lot of storage space, so he bought a BUNCH of tanks (atleast 20 180g's) and all the tanks he'd need for the new store from a company in California. They only do work for big store setups and things like that, not much for the hobbyist. But since he bought a lot of tanks they got them for really cheap and the LFS passed the savings on. Its fairly thick glass and the best part is they are completely nontempered so I can drill the bottom.

143gadgets
07/04/2006, 07:55 PM
Can't wait for the pics!

xtrstangx
07/04/2006, 10:29 PM
Alright, heres the pics. Don't mind the mess.

Here you can see the sink, the sump, the freshwater bucket, the RO/DI, and a little bit of the saltwater bucket:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/sumpinfishroom.jpg

Heres a closer detail of the sump. I have 1 baffle left to put in, you can see the line where it goes on the back glass:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/sdetail.jpg

My G-4X in my bucket of rock in the garage. Thats the 180g sitting on top of the Rubbermaid buckets. :D The skimmer had started to overflow and I haven't had a chance to clean it yet.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/skimmerg4x.jpg

And heres the RO/DI that we mounted up. The vertical canisters are very nice, no more channeling through the media. I need to top them off with fresh resin, you can see the brown ontop of the green (brown = exhausted)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/rodimounted.jpg

I have all the other equipment strewn over the house. Theres some in the dining room, some in the garage, some in the basement, but most of it is in my bedroom actually :lol:

143gadgets
07/04/2006, 11:52 PM
Lookin good! Can't wait till that baby is up and running.

xtrstangx
07/06/2006, 10:51 PM
Just bought my Tunzes.. Two 6100's and a 7094. I'm thinking upgrading the 7094 to a 7095, not sure yet, want to figure out the exact differences.

143gadgets
07/07/2006, 12:40 AM
I have the same tunze setup that u have. There isn't much difference between the 7094 and 7095. I love the 7094, but may end up with the 95 if I can find a good deal on one. I won';t buy one new though. It wasn't worth the cost difference for me.

xtrstangx
07/07/2006, 11:41 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7695386#post7695386 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by 143gadgets
I have the same tunze setup that u have. There isn't much difference between the 7094 and 7095. I love the 7094, but may end up with the 95 if I can find a good deal on one. I won';t buy one new though. It wasn't worth the cost difference for me.

The 7095 has the built-in moonlight and shorter intervals.

I suppose I can wait and in 3 months once I'm working again, I can always upgrade it then.

143gadgets
07/07/2006, 04:27 PM
True, but if I were u I would get a used one. I just don't think the extra features are worth it to buy one new.

xtrstangx
07/08/2006, 05:44 PM
Started the stand today. We got a lot done. We literally finished the entire frame of it. Just have to build a canopy now and then skin it all. Trying to decide what to do for doors, I'm thinking we may make some flat panel doors ourselves rather than spend $150 on raised panels premade?

Avast Marine
07/08/2006, 06:18 PM
I just posted lots of pics and details of my water change system here, (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=7704989#post7704989) and thought you may be interested.

I thought that the rubbermaid container made a nice stand. Why are you building another one?

:p

xtrstangx
07/12/2006, 11:09 PM
Hopefully I can start walking again in 12 days so the 180g should come along faster.

We cleaned out every skimmer, every pump, and every heater that I own the other day. A 32g trash can with 10 gallons of water and 1 gallon muriatic. Very very useful. I ran everything for like 30 min and had to use a toothbrush on a few things but it all came out spotless.

Salty Brother
07/12/2006, 11:15 PM
Ya know, if you still havent decided on doors, the ones I did were very simple, just a piece of birch plywood with 4 pieces of trim with 45 miters, then just nail gun in place. Good luck id like to see some stand pics when you are done :D

xtrstangx
07/12/2006, 11:17 PM
Thats what we are probably going to do Salty Brother. Otherwise it will be $150 or so for raised paneled doors.

Salty Brother
07/12/2006, 11:23 PM
oh ya, heres a pic again if you want to see...
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c212/schmidtp/NewTank005.jpg

Salty Brother
07/12/2006, 11:27 PM
Ya thats super expensive, that was probably the cost of you plywood :p

xtrstangx
07/23/2006, 08:54 PM
Not a great day for the tank.

We drilled the sump last night for the water change holes. Installed the bulkhead and the last baffle.

Today we went out and bought the rest of the plumbing. Got home and hooked it up. No leaks from the bulkheads, but the pump that I got used is really loud and gets really hot. Looks like I gotta find a new pump cause the parents say this one has to go.

Also plumbed the saltwater bucket for the automatic water change system. The Mag 9.5 leaks... really bad. I may end up siliconing the pump shut.

I'll try and get some pics of what we have so far in the sump room and maybe a shot or two of the stand (the canopy is 90% built).

King-Kong
07/23/2006, 10:19 PM
Shame on those mags.. we really need to get ourselvs off of them. Theyre hot and like to leak. I know ive been pretty dissapointed with my mag7

xtrstangx
07/25/2006, 07:51 PM
Very good day.

I went to the doctor and I'm finally able to walk again. Its really weird, but its nice. This means I can go back to work and I can help more on the stand (faster progress).

Also ordered the last pieces I need for the 180g. Just have to buy some stain and I think thats it :D

Milleme
07/25/2006, 08:27 PM
ya my mag 7 leaks also. Glad u can walk agian that means more pics!

BTW Setup is lookin nice!

xtrstangx
07/27/2006, 11:13 AM
Figured I should take some pics of the stand..

Ignore the 1x4 inside the stand. Not sure why my dad put it there.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1330.jpg

You can see some of the supports in this picture... doesn't look like a lot but it should hold just fine. Most people overbuild anyways ;)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1331.jpg

And this is a sideshot. The red line is where the canopy will hinge at. So I will be able to lift that whole part up and have it out of the way.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1332.jpg

List of things left to do:
- Finish the stand. Have to attach the canopy to the canopy supports (which will be beefed up a little bit). Put the bottom of the stand in. Do all the trim. Stain everything. Doors will come later when money is available, I want to do them right even if its extra $$.
- Find a new return pump. Probably another GenX Mak4.
- Drill the tank, put the stand into place, put the tank into place.
- Wire up all the lighting (including making my own VHO wiring harness :/ )
- Do the plumbing (should be easy enough, already have the sump part of it plumbed)
- Put rock in, wait a week for a cycle and do my aquascaping then. Add sand after everything is good.
- Start moving over livestock slowly.

Estimated date of running with livestock- August 31st

I did my last order for everything so literally all I have to buy is the stain for the stand (knocks on wood).

rdmpe
07/27/2006, 11:38 AM
Looks good. Your stand is probably way strong enough. If you go to an LFS that sells generic stand / tank / canopy systems, you can see that most of them are made of chip board and staples!

If you want a quiet pump, try a sequence dart. I have two running on my system. They are very quiet.

xtrstangx
07/27/2006, 11:49 AM
rdmpe, I think 10'-12' of head pressure would kill the flow on the Dart?

I don't see how the LFS stands can carry the weight. Same with these cabinets. Part of them is just cheap particle board, but we talked to a few people and they said they would be more than strong enough for a 75g fish tank (and they assumed it would be full)

rdmpe
07/27/2006, 02:34 PM
Yeah that is probably too much flow for a Dart. I didn't realize you were doing a fishroom in the basement. How about one of the pressure rated sequence pumps? I had a Sequence Tarpon for a while, it is also very quiet, just a little bit louder than a dart but not much, still very quiet. It is a pressure rated pump that will do fine at 12' head pressure.

xtrstangx
07/27/2006, 04:57 PM
I'll look at the Sequence line tonight, thanks.

xtrstangx
08/01/2006, 01:17 AM
I found someone local that is selling a GenX PCX-40. Went over to his house and swapped frags, in addition to checking out the pump. It runs dead silent and doesn't get too hot. So once he upgrades pumps I'm gonna get that one.

Snapped some pics of the fish room.

Since the Mag9.5 was leaking when used externally, I decided to use it internally. Not a big problem, just had to make a few cuts and came out with this:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/changemanifold.jpg

The pump just sits inside on a short piece of pipe.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/mixingbucket.jpg

For right now, we set it up to fill 5g buckets. Took about 7 seconds to fill up the bucket and I don't think that was at full power. Pretty awesome!

Also drilled up the 32g bucket that is holding freshwater. You can see the tube coming out with a zip tie around it. I have about 4' of pipe inside the bucket so I can just pull it out and fill whatever I need to. Also have the float valve in there so it auto fills. Eventually I think I'll have 2 pumps in there. 1 dedicated for autotopoff and 1 for filling up the salt bucket and other things.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/buckets.jpg

And the sump. As you can see, its drilled in 2 spots for 2 water change methods. The top one is more like the Calfo method and should work a lot better. My dad however thought that the original idea was better so once the tank is running we're going to have a contest to see whose works better. Also have the custom autotopoff installed, the plumbing (waiting for the pump), and the skimmer. The fart right has a piece of acrylic over the top. This should stop most of the salt creep from bubbles in the first section.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/sumpequip.jpg

Comments, questions, or criticism?

Avast Marine
08/01/2006, 01:23 PM
Looking real good man. Just a thought, why not just put a spigot on the ro container instead of putting another pump inside. As far as the contest you will win if the goal is smaller frequent changes, and he will win if it is larger changes. Having it plumbed for both is very smart. Where did you get an all white gate valve?

xtrstangx
08/01/2006, 02:58 PM
I thought about a spigot, but it would be the cost of another Uniseal and then gate valve/ball valve. The pump is a lot more accurate as I can turn it off with a switch. I'm still thinking about putting a drain on the bottom of it, not sure what to do yet.

The all white ball valves were from Lowes. $16 for 1.5" double union ball valves (a lot better than online) and they seal really well, IME.

cyan0069
08/03/2006, 08:05 PM
You and your dad have really outdone yourselves this time! Looking great. One of these days, I'll have to give you a shout and drive up and check it out in person. I really like the water change automation.

xtrstangx
08/03/2006, 08:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7874779#post7874779 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by cyan0069
You and your dad have really outdone yourselves this time! Looking great. One of these days, I'll have to give you a shout and drive up and check it out in person. I really like the water change automation.

Your definately welcome once the 180g is up and running. Thanks for the compliments. The water change should be very very nice. I should patent the design and make some money off it :lol:

It seems like progress has slowed down a little bit in the past week or so. Its been pretty hot out here though..

xtrstangx
08/06/2006, 10:31 PM
Hooray more pics..

Side shot, haven't put on the back half of the canopy yet.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1350.jpg

Corner shelf:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1351.jpg

Got the mounting brackets for the RO1's done. They'll hang with eye hooks and some chain so they can be moved on different sets of hooks to go farther back:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1353.jpg

Shot of the stand with tank and shelf on:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1354.jpg

The canopy uprights attach via these angle brackets, then the actual canopy bolts to this.. it will be very easy to move into the house.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1356.jpg

From the side of the stand, trying to figure out how to mount 4 4' actinics in here.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1357.jpg

143gadgets
08/06/2006, 11:26 PM
Lookin Good!

yoboyjdizz
08/07/2006, 12:03 AM
Looks like its starting to come around.. how much more do you got to do until we see some water in there?

xtrstangx
08/07/2006, 12:06 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7892486#post7892486 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoboyjdizz
Looks like its starting to come around.. how much more do you got to do until we see some water in there?

End of August is what I'm hoping for. Gotta finish the stand, run some electrical for the tank, then do a little plumbing.

I started working again so thats less time to work on the tank, and then I go start school in 2 weeks so that will be a lot less time.

yoboyjdizz
08/07/2006, 12:10 AM
Yea these large tank projects take some time i began mine in april and still have no water in it... School and work man hope you get that tank running soon so you can have something to relax yourself...

xtrstangx
08/07/2006, 12:16 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7892515#post7892515 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoboyjdizz
Yea these large tank projects take some time i began mine in april and still have no water in it... School and work man hope you get that tank running soon so you can have something to relax yourself...

Its funny because I was originally going to get a 75g in January. I was at the LFS with the money in my hand and a 120g caught my eye.. decided to go with the 180g if I was gonna do it :lol:

I'm actually pretty glad to be back at work, pretty boring sitting at home for 2 months.

Gundo5000
08/07/2006, 01:31 AM
Great progress, cool to see other Kansas reefers.

Do you go to KU? Johnson County?

What lfs

xtrstangx
08/07/2006, 12:18 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7892695#post7892695 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by algundo
Great progress, cool to see other Kansas reefers.

Do you go to KU? Johnson County?

What lfs

High school is Shawnee Mission

I usually go to Aquariums Wholesale as they are close and they give me pretty good deals.

Are you on http://fishheads.org? Its a KS/MO forum.

rdmpe
08/07/2006, 12:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7892536#post7892536 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
Its funny because I was originally going to get a 75g in January. I was at the LFS with the money in my hand and a 120g caught my eye.. decided to go with the 180g if I was gonna do it :lol: ........... Perfectly logical!!!

xtrstangx
08/07/2006, 12:28 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7894705#post7894705 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rdmpe
Perfectly logical!!!

Didn't make a whole lot of sense to upgrade from a 4-ft 40g to a 4-ft 120g, right? :lol: This means the next upgrade is gonna have to be 8 ft (probably gonna be after college though)

King-Kong
08/07/2006, 01:01 PM
Love the moulding on that stand.

What is the difference between RO I and RO III reflectors?

xtrstangx
08/07/2006, 01:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7894938#post7894938 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by King-Kong
Love the moulding on that stand.

What is the difference between RO I and RO III reflectors?

RO1 is for Single ended
ROIII is for Double ended

Same reflector, different sockets.

King-Kong
08/07/2006, 01:15 PM
Nice. Should really help you concetrate that SE power.

xtrstangx
08/07/2006, 01:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7895029#post7895029 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by King-Kong
Nice. Should really help you concetrate that SE power.

Yep. They have good test results compared to a regular spider reflector and you can get them for around $60 shipped used (in good condition). I would've like to do Lumenarcs but the size and cost of them led me to these RO1's.

Gundo5000
08/11/2006, 03:01 PM
Yeah I go to aquariums wholesale too. Patrick is pretty cool.

I'm mnot on fishheads but I will signup soon.

I like your mixing container and would like to do something like that. Do you have plans or did you just wing it?

xtrstangx
08/11/2006, 08:41 PM
I didn't really do anything as far as plans for my mixing container. Just measured how far I needed to be so my Uniseals were on flat surfaces (the bucket is really ridged) and winged it.

xtrstangx
08/19/2006, 10:51 PM
Today was a good day:

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1368.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1371.jpg

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1369.jpg

And in that back 6" behind the tank, these panels fit in. The one with the cutout holds the Reefkeeper 2.. it will just have the display, no wires (one of the reasons I love the RK2... the display unit can actually be displayed)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1370.jpg

I have to say I'm very pleased with how it came out. These pictures are a little bit brighter than how it looks, but then again we have 200w of lighting in the garage so it was pretty dark..

Cprowler
08/19/2006, 11:01 PM
It's hard to get the true color with the flash, at least I have a hard time with my stand.

Looks great!

:thumbsup:

xtrstangx
08/19/2006, 11:17 PM
Thanks.

For some reason the pictures make it look liked its striped really bad on the veneer. You can't tell in real life, must be part of the flash deal..

Anyways, the whole thing is going into the corner of the room. I'm planning on painting the back and right side of the tank... I may razorblade off the right side in a week, but I want to try it black before I put it in.

affan
08/20/2006, 01:16 AM
Great thread, xtrstangx. But I'm going nuts trying to figure out those numbers under your name? What are they?????

Milleme
08/20/2006, 01:44 PM
Mysterious #s in the Tv series "lost".

Whhy is the overflow box just sitting in the middle, is it just not installed yet?

xtrstangx
08/20/2006, 08:45 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7976406#post7976406 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Milleme
Mysterious #s in the Tv series "lost".

Whhy is the overflow box just sitting in the middle, is it just not installed yet?

Its not installed yet.

rdmpe
08/21/2006, 06:27 AM
Looking good! When you paint the tank, I recommend rolling on some latex. It's about 1000 times easier than spraypaint, goes on easy, even and thick...

I have a reefkeeper 1 and just bought an aquacontroller jr. It's really a shame how the ac jr control unit is such a poor aesthetic design. They are suffering from their X10 legacy, where everything had to be wired to the controller rather than to an outlet unit. I have them both mounted on the front of my stand, and the reefkeeper definitely looks better. The ac jr comes with adhesive backed velcro (lame) for mounting, doesn't even have any way to screw it on to the stand! Cheap feeling plastic housing on the controller too, but I do like the functionality of it and being able to hook it to my laptop.

thor32766
08/21/2006, 10:31 AM
wow sweet looking setup, good luck with it

xtrstangx
08/21/2006, 01:12 PM
thor: Thanks, I think it will be pretty nice with all the automation..

rdmpe: I was actually thinking about rolling it on too. Not sure what I want to do yet. That way I won't have to tape off the stand a whole lot or worry about the tank.

I don't like the AC Jr because of the way it looks. Seems very messy. And in September, Digital Aquatics is releasing firmware update + cable that will allow you to log the data on your computer like the AC Jr.

rdmpe
08/21/2006, 01:17 PM
It's nice to see the competition between the AC Jr and the RK2, both are being pushed to improve their products...

yoboyjdizz
08/21/2006, 08:06 PM
It looks like its but still not totally sure but your overflow bow in the center on the right side? Seems like and interesting idea you plan on hiding it with rock or placing corals on it and let them grow? I thought about these ideas as well but then eventually went with the external overflow but next time i might just go with more width and have an internal overflow. Like to know how that works for you thanks!

xtrstangx
08/25/2006, 04:56 PM
It wasn't installed in the pic. It is going into the right corner and there will be a rock wall in that corner of the tank. The middle and the left side will have a valley and a lagoon-area, respectively

yoboyjdizz
08/25/2006, 07:03 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8013498#post8013498 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
It wasn't installed in the pic. It is going into the right corner and there will be a rock wall in that corner of the tank. The middle and the left side will have a valley and a lagoon-area, respectively

I see now my fault.. By lagoon area could you explain a little more...?

xtrstangx
08/25/2006, 07:08 PM
This is a top-down view of the rockwork, as I'm planning it. Basically its just a big U so that I have more sandbed space, but the tank still looks like it has enough rock in it.. plus its better than the solid rock wall look

http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/topview-1.jpg

mg426
08/25/2006, 07:11 PM
It sure is a well thought out system, I would love to do one that way once LOL best of luck.

yoboyjdizz
08/25/2006, 07:14 PM
I see it now.. I like the idea of islands and open space of for the fish and coral growth... Something i've been thinking on doing i also have this large flat piece of rock about 15inches in width that i might connect my islands with and place corals on top like flat open coral bed in the middle of my tank but been wondering if it would hard to keep the sand bed clean underneath it...

xtrstangx
08/25/2006, 07:47 PM
Thanks mg426, after my first tank (the 40g), I saw a lot of things that could be easier/better. Since this will be my last tank for quite some time (rest of high school plus all through college), I figured I should do it right, even if it was a bit more $.

yoboyjdizz, I'm hoping it will create some lower flow zones too that I can put all my Euphyllia in (Frogspawn and Hammers) as well as some of my zoos that like calmer flow. A big flat rock spanning can be nice, I'd say try putting your flat rock there and see how it goes.

msuzuki126
08/25/2006, 07:47 PM
Looking good so far. I'm subscribed. :)

xtrstangx
08/26/2006, 11:05 PM
2 coats of stain
4 coats of polyeruthane
2 1/2 coats of white enamel for stand/canopy
6 coats of Krylon Fusion on the back of the tank

Its been very busy! Thankfully my parents helped me with the painting.

Hopefully the stand goes in tomorrow.

List of things left to do:
1. Mount all the ballasts on a sheet of plywood and attach to wall in fish room (like the RO/DI was mounted)
2. Mount the RK2 strip and 2 expansion sockets on a sheet of plywood
3. Run a piece of wire to behind the tank and wire up the outlet (already connected at the breaker)
4. Put the tank in
5. Plumbing: Drain, return with squirt, autotopoff, and mixing container
6. Put canopy on
7. Wire the VHO's and hang the RO1's
8. Wet-test the tank
9. Let the tank fill full of RO/DI
10. Add salt and flow
11. Add rock and sand, wait a week to ensure no cycle
12. Start the transfering!
13. Got to stain the cabinets in the basement... no rush on this though.

Lots left to do, unfortunately won't meet my end-of-August goal.

xtrstangx
08/30/2006, 02:57 PM
The tank is in the house :D

Too bad the camera battery is dead

yoboyjdizz
08/31/2006, 07:35 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8045250#post8045250 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
The tank is in the house :D

Too bad the camera battery is dead

ok you had a day to recharge the battery! haha! So wheres the pictures for us...

xtrstangx
08/31/2006, 08:17 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8054054#post8054054 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoboyjdizz
ok you had a day to recharge the battery! haha! So wheres the pictures for us...

They aren't rechargable batteries :mad: The charger is like $200 + $40 battery, or they were last time I checked.

I'll grab one at work tomorrow or Saturday.

yoboyjdizz
09/01/2006, 06:16 PM
Man didnt know that! The camera is probably least of your worries getting that tank up is probably taking all your time! Its the funniest part of this hobby setting a new tank up i think.

xtrstangx
09/01/2006, 10:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8060430#post8060430 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoboyjdizz
Man didnt know that! The camera is probably least of your worries getting that tank up is probably taking all your time! Its the funniest part of this hobby setting a new tank up i think.

Yep.. looking back, we've probably spent 2 times in batteries than what it would've cost to get the charger. Hopefully we'll get a new camera soon (ours is getting old)

Setting up the tank is my favorite part. We got all the plumbing done today so the water test is tomorrow :rollface:

I've been very busy though. School for 8 hours, 5 hours of work after school, homework, then getting what I can get done on the tank done.

xtrstangx
09/03/2006, 04:37 PM
Nothing like using an entire bucket of salt at once. I'm glad I had bought 6 buckets a few months ago when they went on sale at the LFS.

Going to add rock tomorrow morning and balance the parameters.. Tonight and tomorrow afternoon we are going to mount the VHO and then put the canopy in, plus run the new circuit (just have to pull wire through the floor and make 3 connections)

yoboyjdizz
09/03/2006, 05:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8070986#post8070986 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
Nothing like using an entire bucket of salt at once. I'm glad I had bought 6 buckets a few months ago when they went on sale at the LFS.

That was a good idea.. during liveaquaria's red tag sale i bought four buckets should of bought more! Hopefully you get that battery for your camera so we can see all the work you have been putting into this project!

msuzuki126
09/03/2006, 05:41 PM
hey xtrstangx, when mixing the salt did you just dump it straight in the new tank?

xtrstangx
09/03/2006, 05:54 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8071324#post8071324 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by msuzuki126
hey xtrstangx, when mixing the salt did you just dump it straight in the new tank?

I held the bucket over the tank and slowly added it so that it wasn't just dumping it. It took like 5-10 min to get it all out. I put it right infront of one of the Tunzes so it got blown around pretty good.

msuzuki126
09/03/2006, 06:15 PM
Yea that is how i'm doing mine, but now my tank is extremely cloudy.

xtrstangx
09/03/2006, 06:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8071475#post8071475 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by msuzuki126
Yea that is how i'm doing mine, but now my tank is extremely cloudy.

Mine cleared up within a hour.

msuzuki126
09/03/2006, 07:13 PM
Oh mine hasn't cleared and it's been almost 5 hours. I used oceanic salt did you use IO?

yoboyjdizz
09/03/2006, 08:10 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8071809#post8071809 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by msuzuki126
Oh mine hasn't cleared and it's been almost 5 hours. I used oceanic salt did you use IO?

It should clear soon if not by tomorrow.. I know IO clears pretty fast i use a different salt ( can't remember the name) on my old 72 and it took til the next day to settle down i believe.

msuzuki126
09/03/2006, 08:15 PM
thanks yoboyjdizz, i think the last tank i filled with oceanic did the same thing so i'll just wait it out...

yoboyjdizz
09/03/2006, 08:51 PM
i think that is what i used now i use reef crystals

xtrstangx
09/03/2006, 11:20 PM
I use IO

xtrstangx
09/06/2006, 06:38 AM
New pictures!

Putting the rock in:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1372.jpg

Shot of the Squirt plumbing.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1373.jpg

And then this morning.. the lights in there are a VHO Actinic and a VHO white.. the VHO white is going to go, I just grabbed a bulb to put in there.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1376.jpg

Left side rockwork:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1377.jpg

Right side rockwork:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1378.jpg

Canopy:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1379.jpg

You can see the ballasts, the 2 VHO's on the back, an endcap for the front VHO (which will mount across the doors on the top 1/3 (plenty of clearence left)) We put the back VHO on stands (1/4" all thread covered with pex plumbing)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1380.jpg

xtrstangx
09/06/2006, 06:39 AM
A shot down the side.. don't mind the temp, I don't have a heater in there yet cause I need to pull the RK2 off the 40g. Can you spot the Seio hidden in the rock?:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1381.jpg

Good surface agitation from Tunzes colliding with the return:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1382.jpg

Sump shot:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1383.jpg

Got the MH ballasts all mounted up:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1384.jpg

The freshwater bucket is all setup and working with the ATO. I need to do some more plumbing for the saltwater, I'll probably do that after school...
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1385.jpg

Lots of microbubbles coming from the drain. I need to figure out a way to get rid of most of these (probably gonna do a simple bubble trap)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1386.jpg

rdmpe
09/06/2006, 06:54 AM
NICE! :thumbsup:

xtrstangx
09/06/2006, 07:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8087738#post8087738 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by rdmpe
NICE! :thumbsup:

Thanks. I'm really happy with how its come along..

We have to run 20' of wire and then buy 2 S hooks and then it should be fully operational.

Bax
09/06/2006, 08:44 AM
looks great xtrstangx!

Love the stand & canopy finish .. nice plumbing too!

jwheeler
09/06/2006, 11:09 AM
Does the canopy sit directly on top of the tank? If so, how much does it weigh, and is that not too much weight on top of the tank?

drummereef
09/06/2006, 12:07 PM
Wow - fantastic! This is going go be awesome when you're done! :thumbsup:

xtrstangx
09/06/2006, 03:11 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8089209#post8089209 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by jwheeler
Does the canopy sit directly on top of the tank? If so, how much does it weigh, and is that not too much weight on top of the tank?

For the most part, it does sit on the top of the tank. It doesn't weigh a hole lot and the tank is pretty well braced. The bolts in the back carry some weight, but they mostly just hold it on place.

Thanks for the compliments guys.. after you do your first tank, you get a big list of things you'd want to change on the new tank and I think I've included all of mine on this setup.

msuzuki126
09/06/2006, 04:44 PM
Looking excellent! very well thought out.

Avast Marine
09/06/2006, 08:06 PM
Looking good. What happend to your starboard?

xtrstangx
09/06/2006, 09:08 PM
I was going to add sand anyways when I went to college.. I also didn't want to pay $200 more for a good pressure pump with penductors and $150 more for a good beckett skimmer which everyone says "you have to have".

shullat
09/07/2006, 12:33 AM
Nice job on the aquascape, hope its not temporary.

How much circulation do you have with the Om and the Tunze together. You aren't having any issues with sand being blown around?

When's the first inhabitant going in :D

xtrstangx
09/07/2006, 02:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8094702#post8094702 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by shullat
Nice job on the aquascape, hope its not temporary.

How much circulation do you have with the Om and the Tunze together. You aren't having any issues with sand being blown around?

When's the first inhabitant going in :D

I'm very happy with the aquascaping. I will only be adding one or two more rocks to each structure (rocks with major corals from my 40g)

The return is only pushing about 800 GPH, maybe even less since it has really 4 elbows to go through :eek1: So 800, 3175, 3175, and 820 would be 44.2x turnover.. I'm actually thinking about a 3rd Tunze (probably a 6000) or maybe a Tunze Wavebox in a few months.

After a little change of plans, we are going to have to run an entire new circuit so it will be a few days (going out of town Saturday, plus working 8 hours on Sunday).. so hopefully next week.

Bax
09/07/2006, 03:27 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8097741#post8097741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx

The return is only pushing about 800 GPH, maybe even less since it has really 4 elbows to go through :eek1: So 800, 3175, 3175, and 820 would be 44.2x turnover.. I'm actually thinking about a 3rd Tunze (probably a 6000) or maybe a Tunze Wavebox in a few months.

44.2X turn over and seeking more!

Go with the flow baby! :)

xtrstangx
09/07/2006, 05:26 PM
Bax, I'm definately going to be adding more eventually.

Right now on my list of things to get:
- Calcium reactor (this will come before flow)
- More flow (wavebox or a Tunze 6000)
- Tunze 7095 controller.. I have a 7094 right now

thor32766
09/07/2006, 06:27 PM
great work !

xtrstangx
09/14/2006, 02:39 PM
Everything is transfered! Sorry for the pics, I didn't feel like getting out the tripod... The diatoms have come. :X

The left side where most of my corals are:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1392.jpg

The valley where the diatoms are the worst:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1393.jpg

Some zoos I picked up the other day... red skirt with green center.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1394.jpg

And you can see where the RK2 will go, I just need to pick up a cable extension..
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1395.jpg

Overall, I'm pretty disappointed with the color right now from the Reeflux bulbs. The right 2 are pretty yellow, the left one isn't too bad. Hopefully the growth is pretty good and I'll let everything grow good for a year then switch over to a 14k-20k.

Avast Marine
09/14/2006, 05:14 PM
The diatoms will pass :). Looks good. Hate to say but, you might not get the year out of the Reeflux bulbs on e-ballast. I have heard some reports of color shifting after just 3 :(.

xtrstangx
09/14/2006, 05:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8147126#post8147126 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dandy7200
The diatoms will pass :). Looks good. Hate to say but, you might not get the year out of the Reeflux bulbs on e-ballast. I have heard some reports of color shifting after just 3 :(.

Really? I read quite a bit and didn't hear about this. Is this something recent?

Bax
09/14/2006, 06:03 PM
It's going to look great! Just give it time!

Don't know much at all about Reeflux bulbs.

yoboyjdizz
09/14/2006, 08:08 PM
looks like your off and rolling...man im still waiting to add water. How you like the tunze streams? I think im going to order them next week.

xtrstangx
09/14/2006, 08:19 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8148353#post8148353 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoboyjdizz
looks like your off and rolling...man im still waiting to add water. How you like the tunze streams? I think im going to order them next week.

The Streams are awesome.. I love the controllability... You can see in my picture up there how the anemone rock is like right in front of the stream? I'm trying to get the anemone off the rock since its an rock so I turned the pump down to 20% to help it move.

Definately go for the Streams.

mg426
09/14/2006, 08:19 PM
I sure like what I am seeing. I would love to set up a tank the right way from the start just one time. LOL

STEELERFAN747
09/14/2006, 09:06 PM
Starting to look good

Airman
09/14/2006, 09:38 PM
looking good:).

drummereef
09/14/2006, 09:55 PM
Looking very good! Awesome setup! :thumbsup:

xtrstangx
09/15/2006, 09:23 AM
Thanks guys... I can't wait to start filling it up..

yoboyjdizz
09/15/2006, 01:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8151298#post8151298 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
Thanks guys... I can't wait to start filling it up..

What types of fish are you looking to stock this bad boy with?

xtrstangx
09/17/2006, 08:33 PM
My anemone has disappeared for 3 days now. When I transfered him into the new tank, it looked like he was starting to split, sorta like a bacteria in telophase:
http://www.biologycorner.com/resources/telophase.gif

So he's either splitting or dying.. The water is still perfectly clear, no abnormal smell, and no abnormal skimmate production.. I'm hoping for the first.

xtrstangx
09/17/2006, 08:37 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8152978#post8152978 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by yoboyjdizz
What types of fish are you looking to stock this bad boy with?

My existing fish:
2 Ocellaris Clowns
Yellow Watchman Goby
Sixline Wrasse
Flame Angel

New fish:
Midas Blenny
pair of Lamarck's Angelfish
Magnificent Foxface
harem of Anthias
Yellow/Kole Tang
Powder Blue Tang (my dream fish)

msuzuki126
09/18/2006, 03:32 PM
Powder blues are beauties. Hopefully the anemone turns up, maybe it was shocked from the new lighting?

xtrstangx
09/18/2006, 04:02 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8172401#post8172401 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by msuzuki126
Powder blues are beauties. Hopefully the anemone turns up, maybe it was shocked from the new lighting?

Yeah, its possible. I moved around a few rocks last night and tried to fish around with him under the rest.. no sign. I'm not going to tear down the tank and try to find him though.

xtrstangx
09/29/2006, 11:27 PM
I did a 50g water change and I didn't get my hands OR THE FLOOR wet.

:D

I'm going to take some pics soon. The tank has a bit of a hair algae problem, but I have tomorrow off so I'm going to be doing some pulling. I only have 1 arm to use in the tank since I cut my hand at work.

Bax
09/30/2006, 08:24 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8250419#post8250419 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
I did a 50g water change and I didn't get my hands OR THE FLOOR wet.

:D

I'm going to take some pics soon. The tank has a bit of a hair algae problem, but I have tomorrow off so I'm going to be doing some pulling. I only have 1 arm to use in the tank since I cut my hand at work.

Your anemone is probably just hiding.

Take some pics of you water change plumbing for us.

I have hair algae trying to take over too, good luck with that!

xtrstangx
09/30/2006, 10:53 PM
Here it is Bax as well as the finished fish room (minus the ceiling which may never happen)

To the right of the sink:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1434.jpg
To the left of the sink (hopefully where the calcium reactor will go with the CO2 tank in a cabinet?)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1435.jpg
The right side again:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1436.jpg
Water barrels with RO/DI
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1437.jpg
My water plate.. this is hopefully protecting the walls from salt creep. Seems to be doing a good job. All water enters the sump into this
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1438.jpg
The ASM G-4X is doing a great job
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1439.jpg

Water change operation... open the top valve, close the bottom one:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1440.jpg
Open both of these to let water drain via displacement (or you can fill up the sump and let all the new water mix with the rest of the system for 30 min, then open valves)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1441.jpg
Wait for the Mag 9.5 to start sucking air, then flip the switch above the barrel.

You've just changed 50 gallons of water :D

The RK2 on the side of the tank.. This side panel is fairly loose so I can get access to the back (I keep my Mag Float hidden back there behind the rock.. still easy to get to)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1444.jpg

Cody Ray
10/01/2006, 04:08 AM
Very nice indeed :D

Bax
10/01/2006, 06:14 AM
That's great!

Automating my RODI/SW mix/water change system is my next big task.

xtrstangx
10/01/2006, 02:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8254972#post8254972 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bax
That's great!

Automating my RODI/SW mix/water change system is my next big task.

I'm pretty happy with my system, I need to figure out something that will measure out enough salt for 50g of water without trying to keep count of 25 scoops.

Also, if I was going to do it again, I would redo the freshwater barrel with a DTDP (i think thats what it is) relay with 2 float switches and a solenoid setup.. This would let it drain down to 10g (out of 30g) then it would run for a full 20g at a time so you have little/no TDS creep... I guess thats another adventure for another day..

Bax
10/01/2006, 06:35 PM
I read a thread where a reefer used pieces of 4" pvc with glued flat bottoms. The pieces were cut to length so when filled they were like measuring cups. He had them for various quantities of SW he wanted to make up. Just top the measuring tube up with salt and wala! 50 g or 25 g or what ever of SW mix.

Pretty simple really!

yoboyjdizz
10/01/2006, 06:47 PM
thats one killer setup! Great Work!

xtrstangx
10/01/2006, 08:56 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8258297#post8258297 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bax
I read a thread where a reefer used pieces of 4" pvc with glued flat bottoms. The pieces were cut to length so when filled they were like measuring cups. He had them for various quantities of SW he wanted to make up. Just top the measuring tube up with salt and wala! 50 g or 25 g or what ever of SW mix.

Pretty simple really!

Seems simple enough.. I may have to try that. Seems like it may be hard to scoop out though.

Thanks yoboyjdizz.

sjm817
10/01/2006, 09:13 PM
I just ran into this thread. Nice work! I'm also setting up a 180G with a basement fish room. My sump setup looks very similar to yours.

xtrstangx
10/01/2006, 09:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8259340#post8259340 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
I just ran into this thread. Nice work! I'm also setting up a 180G with a basement fish room. My sump setup looks very similar to yours.

Having the fish room is very nice. I like having everything at standing height (my left knee is bad from when I broke my leg really bad this spring).

Do you have a link to your thread?

sjm817
10/01/2006, 09:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8259389#post8259389 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
Having the fish room is very nice. I like having everything at standing height (my left knee is bad from when I broke my leg really bad this spring).

Do you have a link to your thread?
Err....I have a thread? :lol:

xtrstangx
10/01/2006, 09:25 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8259405#post8259405 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
Err....I have a thread? :lol:

Guess its time to make one :D

sjm817
10/01/2006, 09:34 PM
Yeah, I thought about it. Maybe...

Here is what I'm setting up

Display related:
AGA 180RR with corner overflows
2xTunze 6100/7095
?? T5 setup (will reuse some stuff from my 90G)
AC Jr with DC4 for lights, DC8 in basement for pumps, heaters, skimmer, etc

Basement setup
Gen-X Mak4 return into OM Squirt
75G sump
30G fuge
ER RS250 skimmer
44G Brute for auto topoff/kalk
44G Brute for RODI storage
44G Brute for SW mixing

Similar-ish setup for quick sump draining and pumping new SW back in.

xtrstangx
10/01/2006, 09:40 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8259471#post8259471 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
Yeah, I thought about it. Maybe...

Here is what I'm setting up

Display related:
AGA 180RR with corner overflows
2xTunze 6100/7095
?? T5 setup (will reuse some stuff from my 90G)
AC Jr with DC4 for lights, DC8 in basement for pumps, heaters, skimmer, etc

Basement setup
Gen-X Mak4 return into OM Squirt
75G sump
30G fuge
ER RS250 skimmer
44G Brute for auto topoff/kalk
44G Brute for RODI storage
44G Brute for SW mixing

Similar-ish setup for quick sump draining and pumping new SW back in.

Definately do make one. It sounds a LOT like my system except your going for the T5's and a fuge. Are you using a OM Squirt or a Super Squirt? IMO, I would consider going with the next bigger pump.. The PCX-50 I think it is.

sjm817
10/01/2006, 09:43 PM
I already have the Squirt on my 90G and will reuse it. The Mak4 should have enough return flow. I dont like tons of flow from a return pump. This would be like 700 GPH??

The sump looks so much like yours its scary.

xtrstangx
10/01/2006, 09:47 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8259529#post8259529 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
I already have the Squirt on my 90G and will reuse it. The Mak4 should have enough return flow. I dont like tons of flow from a return pump. This would be like 700 GPH??

The sump looks so much like yours its scary.

I guess it depends how high it has to pump too.. my stand so it has a bit more to go than average.

Copycat :D

mg426
10/01/2006, 10:11 PM
Once again awesome job !!

Avast Marine
10/01/2006, 10:39 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8257130#post8257130 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
I need to figure out something that will measure out enough salt for 50g of water without trying to keep count of 25 scoops.

Buy IO in 200g boxes and open one 50g bag and pour in :D .

If say you have 46 gallons of water:

Open 50g bag, remove 2 scoops and set aside, pour in :D

Looking good, looks like your staring to get things tidy and organized, it seems like a never ending chore for me....

xtrstangx
10/01/2006, 10:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8259821#post8259821 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by dandy7200
Buy IO in 200g boxes and open one 50g bag and pour in :D .

If say you have 46 gallons of water:

Open 50g bag, remove 2 scoops and set aside, pour in :D

Looking good, looks like your staring to get things tidy and organized, it seems like a never ending chore for me....

Now theres a good idea.. I've never seen the 200g boxes, I'll have to ask my LFS. Does the 50g bag mix up to 1.027? The problem is I'm not sure how many gallons I have. My pump doesn't suck the bottom 4-6" of the barrel so I always have a little leftover water.

Edit- Yeah, mine is always a mess too. I picked up for the picture and its already a mess today. I scrubbed some rock and did some other stuff. My favorite part is being able to put water on the floor and not have to worry about it.. The floor is 1 huge piece.

Avast Marine
10/01/2006, 10:57 PM
I mix to 1.025. 1/2c per gallon for me. I just got new mixing barrels myself. I measured a 5 gal bucket and dumped it in, stuck a 4' long piece of 1/2" pvc in and made a mark, 10g mark etc. Now I have a story pole for my water. I emptied the bucket dried it out and marked the inside with permenant marker using the story pole I just made. I have about 3 gallons that doesn't empty with my system as well.

yoboyjdizz
10/17/2006, 11:52 PM
Any updates? Also what pumps or pump do you use on your phosphan reactors?

xtrstangx
10/18/2006, 02:11 PM
dandy, I'll have to make one of those next time the bucket is empty.

yoboyjdizz, no new updates.. trying to let it settle in for a little bit. I haven't added anything except a Yellow Tang and a Magnificent Foxface. The Foxface was pricy but wiped out all my algae (and it was 3-4" in some places) in 3 days, not to mention he's a great looking fish.

I use on Maxi-jet 900 with a barb'd Tee to feed both Phosban reactors

yoboyjdizz
10/18/2006, 05:55 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8366200#post8366200 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx

I use on Maxi-jet 900 with a barb'd Tee to feed both Phosban reactors

Thanks thats what i was thinking...

xtrstangx
11/05/2006, 11:33 AM
The tank is doing well.. I've added the doors to the stand and it really looks nice. I'll take pics tonight I think once the glare from the sun is gone.

My pH has been dropping to 7.70ish at night.. not good. During the day it will come up to 8.39, thats quite a large swing and I'm thinking its stressing out my SPS.

I've already tried running an airline for my skimmer outside, it brought it up from 7.6 (night) to 7.7 (night).

So now I can either add a fuge or a kalk reactor to my setup. So far this is what I've come up with:

Kalk Reactor $200 including reactor, solenoid, and relays
Pros: can be controlled with both the RK2 and my autotopoff to prevent overdosing.
if the pH gets too high, the RK2 will turn on the regular freshwater topoff and shut off the kalk reactor
Takes up less space
Cons: More money than the fuge
Only so much kalk can be added to make up for evaporation (I could a fan on my sump to increase evaporation but that could also mean more money in heater electricity)

29g fuge $120-150ish
Pros: Adds a larger pod population to the tank
Cheaper
Cons: The chaeto can only do so much
Takes up more space... I would have to put it inside my stand

So whats my best course of action? I'm having mixed feelings about it. The kalk reactor seems good but its a lot more money.

sjm817
11/05/2006, 11:43 AM
You dont need a reactor. You could have 2 topoff containers, one with Kalk, one without. Just an idea.

xtrstangx
11/05/2006, 11:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8483237#post8483237 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
You dont need a reactor. You could have 2 topoff containers, one with Kalk, one without. Just an idea.

Hmm, I'll look into it. One of my biggest problems is my fish room isn't that big to begin with. All I have left is 2'x2' on the other side of the sink and I still need some place to put the calcium reactor I'm getting in December.

sjm817
11/05/2006, 12:01 PM
What are you doing for ca/alk now? The Kalk may solve a couple of issues.

I'd ask the the chemistry forum. Randy is a genius with this stuff.

xtrstangx
11/05/2006, 12:26 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8483325#post8483325 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
What are you doing for ca/alk now? The Kalk may solve a couple of issues.

I'd ask the the chemistry forum. Randy is a genius with this stuff.

I'm using a 2-part right now.. The kalk would really help with that

I'll try a post there after lunch. Thanks

Bax
11/05/2006, 01:48 PM
I know space is an issue for you, but I think, long term, you need both the rector and fuge.

Avast Marine
11/05/2006, 02:32 PM
I agree with Bax and sjm817. I would set up the fuge right now and find some space to dose settled limewater. If you are having Ph swings that much now, when you add the Ca reactor they will likely get worse. If the issue is money, I would still set up the fuge now and then add the Kalk reactor to the setup in December and then the Ca reactor after that.

xtrstangx
11/05/2006, 07:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8483877#post8483877 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Bax
I know space is an issue for you, but I think, long term, you need both the rector and fuge.

Long term, I will definately have both. dandy, that was my thoughts exactly.. once a calcium reactor is going on here, theres no way I can keep my pH up at night.

Randy says the kalk reactor will get the pH up higher.. I may go with that first and get the fuge later this month.

xtrstangx
11/07/2006, 09:09 PM
I got pics.. isn't much but frags, but better than nothing.

My new Magnificent Foxface.. can you see him?
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1448.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1452.jpg

Blue Tort frag
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1454.jpg

Another frag.. forgot the name. Its starting to shoot off new tips, you can see a blue tip on the bottom left of it. I think it'll turn out nice
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1455.jpg

Another frag.. its brown now but it'll turn purple (hopefully)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1456.jpg

Ricordia about to split again
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1457.jpg

xtrstangx
11/07/2006, 09:10 PM
Green with brown polyps?
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1458.jpg

Some monti digi.. this side looks really bad, but the other side is green. I think it was on its side for a while
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1459.jpg

One of my best growers.. this is from my 40g.. I had a colony that started to RTN and all that I could save was the encrusted base. Its much brighter green but it didn't pick it up
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1460.jpg

Happy zoos, Frogspawn, and Hammer
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1461.jpg

New clam
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1462.jpg

xtrstangx
11/07/2006, 09:11 PM
Two nice SPS mini-colonies that I got for $20 each. Looks like a purple stag sort of and then some sort of monti? Its bluish/purple with green polyps
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1465.jpg

Bright red cap... very happy with the color
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1466.jpg

Full tank shot.. Looks pretty empty
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1470.jpg

Finished doors:
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1471.jpg
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1473.jpg

msuzuki126
11/07/2006, 09:18 PM
Nice stuff there. Looking good! :)

Stile2
11/07/2006, 09:18 PM
Beautiful finish on the stand and canopy. Can you discribe the process or is is back a few pages?

Keith

xtrstangx
11/07/2006, 09:23 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8500463#post8500463 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Stile2
Beautiful finish on the stand and canopy. Can you discribe the process or is is back a few pages?

Keith

For staining?

We just stained with an old rag.. I think it was Sedona Red by Minwax. Waited for it to dry.. on the center of the doors we did a second coat of stain (which is why they came out so much darker), but we probably shouldn't have.

Then 6-7 coats of polyeurathane.

For making the doors, we cut all the 1x3's to length, then set them on edge on the table saw to cut out the grooves for the plywood centers. Then we routered the 1x3's so that they fit into each other.. At this point we had polyeurethane on the panels so we glued it all together, routed the edges on the inside and outside, and finally gave a coat of stain to the outside edges. Whatever stain got into the center just wiped off cause of the poly.

My dad did the majority of the doors while I was at work one weekend otherwise I would've taken pics.

Bax
11/08/2006, 05:29 AM
Your stand & canopy came out great!

xtrstangx
11/08/2006, 03:13 PM
Thanks guys!

I'm pretty happy with it, except for how much darker the panels are... Maybe someday when I have an extra $120 and a weekend we can redo it.

TrojanScott
11/08/2006, 03:20 PM
I think the darker panels are great, almost like it's supposed to be that way.

Great job on the tank.

xtrstangx
11/08/2006, 03:53 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8505360#post8505360 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by TrojanScott
I think the darker panels are great, almost like it's supposed to be that way.

Great job on the tank.

Thanks.. Thats why it doesn't look totally bad.. Having all 6 of them that dark really balances it out OK.

Thanks!

Stile2
11/08/2006, 06:50 PM
In the pictures I did't really notice the darker panels until you said something and I went back and looked.

Overall its a great effect. I wouldn't change it at all. Looks great.

xtrstangx
11/09/2006, 06:44 AM
I'm picking up a kalk reactor today... I just need to get a solenoid now and I can get it running.

msuzuki126
11/24/2006, 08:09 PM
Tank is looking great. How high is that Gen X mak4 pushing? I think I'm going to get one for my 90 gallon but I don't know if my AGA overflow will be able to handle it.

xtrstangx
11/24/2006, 09:09 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8613934#post8613934 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by msuzuki126
Tank is looking great. How high is that Gen X mak4 pushing? I think I'm going to get one for my 90 gallon but I don't know if my AGA overflow will be able to handle it.

Its doing great.

Unless you have a 1.5" drain, it would be too much, IMO. Or if you used it to feed a chiller (600 GPH worth) and have that return into the sump.

sjm817
11/24/2006, 09:16 PM
I also use a Mak4 on my 180G with a basement sump. I have an AGA 180 with dual corner overflows and 1" drains. The vertical is ~ 10'. This is a pretty strong pump and would be too much for a 90G unless you have lots of head. Its also not the quietest thing. Not a problem in the basement, but I wouldn't want it in my stand.

CPT. MURPHY
11/24/2006, 09:44 PM
Very nice tank indeed :)

CPT.

msuzuki126
11/24/2006, 10:42 PM
I guess the Mak3 will be fine then?

drummereef
11/24/2006, 11:11 PM
Tank is looking fantastic! I think that is the first time the aquascape actually turned out like the drawing. Nice. :thumbsup:

xtrstangx
11/25/2006, 12:48 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8614645#post8614645 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by msuzuki126
I guess the Mak3 will be fine then?

It would work, but IMO, since its going in your stand, don't get a GenX. Too loud. I can hear my Mak4 just a tiny bit, and I'm 20' away from the pump through a door.

I've heard the Panworld pumps are very quiet and you could probably find one used for cheap.

drummereef: Thanks. It helps when you have two pairs of eyes on the ground level that know what your looking to do.

CPT: Thanks for the compliments!

msuzuki126
11/25/2006, 12:58 AM
Well I'm actually going to have a basement sump so that is where the pump would be.

xtrstangx
11/25/2006, 01:08 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8615127#post8615127 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by msuzuki126
Well I'm actually going to have a basement sump so that is where the pump would be.

Awesome, you'll love having the sump out of the stand.

If you are going to do 10' of head, then you should be OK with a Mak4.

msuzuki126
11/25/2006, 01:55 AM
Yea about 10 ' of head, but do you think the Mak3 would be fine? It would be nice to save the extra 30$ haha. (Oh BTW, sorry for the sort-of hijack here.)

Bax
11/25/2006, 06:58 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8509266#post8509266 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
I'm picking up a kalk reactor today... I just need to get a solenoid now and I can get it running.

JME

I have a GEO Kalk reactor (purchased used here on RC), which I love, I use an ultralife float switch in the sump to call for water, and an AquaMedic dosing pump to feed the GEO.

Worked great for just over a year, all of a sudden, my dosing pump will kick and run backwards for some reason. (maybe the old check valve on the GEO is shot?). This actually pulls saturated kalk water from the reactor back into my reservoir until I catch it.

My top off reservoir is completely isolated from my main RODI holding tank. I mention this, as I guess this could happen to any kalk reactor with this type of pump, and it trashes the RODI feed water every time. Not to mention plays havoc with pH & SG stability.

I also make sure the outlet of the GEO is never submerged in the sump so it can't drain the system too!

Anyway, I am going to replace the check before blaming the pump or float switch.

HTH

xtrstangx
11/25/2006, 11:23 AM
msuzuki126, go for the Mak4. Otherwise you are going to get only about 300-400 GPH from it, less if you are doing multiple outputs.

Bax, my outlet is about 10" from the water level, so even if the return pump was turned off, it wouldn't be submerged. Thanks for the warning, I'll double check my setup.

sjm817
11/25/2006, 02:46 PM
IMO and IME, 300 - 400 GPH is a great return flow rate for a 90G. Right there in the 3 - 5x rate that is often recommended. You dont want 700 - 800GPH. I doubt an AGA megaflow could handle it anyway.

Avast Marine
11/25/2006, 02:52 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8617339#post8617339 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
IMO and IME, 300 - 400 GPH is a great return flow rate for a 90G. Right there in the 3 - 5x rate that is often recommended. You dont want 700 - 800GPH. I doubt an AGA megaflow could handle it anyway.

bah...I think sumps get stagnant and promate nuisence algae at that flow rate, I like 10x-15x, thats me though

sjm817
11/25/2006, 03:18 PM
I doubt you could get 900 - 1350 though an AGA megaflow (10 - 15x) without some serious mods. A lot depends on the size of the sump too. You would not use the same setup for a 90G with a 20G sump and a 90G with a 75G sump.

xtrstangx
11/25/2006, 06:04 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8617460#post8617460 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by sjm817
I doubt you could get 900 - 1350 though an AGA megaflow (10 - 15x) without some serious mods. A lot depends on the size of the sump too. You would not use the same setup for a 90G with a 20G sump and a 90G with a 75G sump.

I agree. The length of the sump really determines how many GPH you want through it (within reason).

If it was a 36" or less, The GenX PCX-30, definately. If its 48", then a Mak4 would be OK.

xtrstangx
11/29/2006, 06:41 PM
Uh oh... we're supposed to get quite a bit of ice, as well as up to 6" of snow.

I don't have a generator, but Home Depot is very close to my house (probably less than 2 miles) and I could always run up there and grab one.

Anyone have suggestions for brands? I'd probably run my beatup GenX Mak4.. Its a piece of junk pump that I have as a backup, and supposed to be only 110w.

rdmpe
11/29/2006, 08:23 PM
Suggestions for a generator brand? A honda engine would be a plus IMO. But if you are just using it a couple of times per year and take good care of it, then any of the consumer level generators will probably be fine.

I have a Troy-Built (Lowes) with a Briggs & Straton engine and have not had any trouble with it at all. Every once in a while I drag it out and fire it up, and it literally starts on the first pull.

But then I do drool at the big contractor grade Cambpell Hausfield etc. etc. for $2500 and the whole house setups too...

yoboyjdizz
12/01/2006, 12:32 PM
Sorry havent really visited reefcentral much so havent been following closely like i was but how are things going on? Snow come in? Any new pictures of your progress for us?

yoboyjdizz
12/01/2006, 12:32 PM
double post

xtrstangx
12/01/2006, 12:36 PM
The weather forecasters in Kansas are terrible. We ended up getting 1/4" of ice and about 2" of snow... Pretty far off from the 12" predicted.

I'll try and get some pics tonight... The reflection off the snow gives a really bad glare on the tank.

xtrstangx
12/01/2006, 11:41 PM
Got some more pics..

Just gotta wait for everything to grow in.... excuse the colors... the left bulb is a Reeflux 10K... I had to send in my other 2 bulbs to get replaced. The center and right bulbs are XM 10K (thanks Dave!)
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1484.jpg

I thought this was a pretty good picture. I wish I had zoomed out a little bit more to catch the zoos on the left side and bottom right corner though
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1499.jpg

No photoshop, just resized the pic!
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1510.jpg

Actinics only, from the side. Very purple but you get the picture.
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1514.jpg

Peek-a-boo!
http://i47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/IMG_1507.jpg

If you want to check out the pics that didn't make it on the post, I took pictures of EVERYTHING in the tank. Most of them turned out way too blurry though. The whole first page is today's pics pretty much.
http://s47.photobucket.com/albums/f165/nwreefer08/

rdmpe
12/02/2006, 09:38 AM
Looking good! What kind of anemone is that?
Very interesting to see the difference in those two types of bulbs even though they are both 10K. So you like the Reeflux better? Personally that's what I like, slightly more blue. The XM's look very white in comparison.

When I first went to Phoenix 14K's, I didn't really like them. I thought they were too blue because I was so used to the Ushio 10K's that came stock with my fixture. But several months later I put one of the 10K's back in to compare with the Pheonix and I ended up staying with the Pheonix 14K's...

Avast Marine
12/02/2006, 10:22 AM
Looking good, thanks for the pics.

xtrstangx
12/02/2006, 11:31 AM
rdmpe: I'm still unsure. The Reeflux is very pink.. the camera didn't pick it up as much, but it has a very pinkish red hue to it. THe guy who lent me the XM's also gave me some Coralvue 10K's so I'll try those out. So far I like the Coralvue more than the XM, not by much though. Oh, its a long tentacle anemone. We bought it from the LFS and it was completely brown, looks like its starting to turn a bit green.

Thanks dandy.

xtrstangx
12/05/2006, 09:29 PM
I got 4 new Lyretail Anthais today... We did a group order from Liveaquaria.com .

They look pretty good. I acclimated them for about 2 hours, nice and slow.. Put them in and they all went to one corner. They've been coming out more and more, theres only 1 thats still a little bit shy, but I think they are all going to make it. Supposedly one of them will turn into a male.

rdmpe
12/05/2006, 10:54 PM
I keep drooling over anthias at the lfs. I'd like to get three or so. But at $40 each, I haven't been able to pull the trigger yet. It would add some nice color to my tank, which IMO is a little short on reds. I'm also sort of feeling that my fish load is high enough as is. I've had some diatom and cyano here and there to deal with.

xtrstangx
12/06/2006, 03:29 PM
1 dead for sure, 2 missing. Not sure why. They were temp floated until temp matched, then moved into a drip system (with heat maintained), and finally refloated to match temp perfectly...

rdmpe, they are nice looking fish. Last week liveaquaria.com had them for $13.99 each, so if you got them in a group order, you'd save a LOT of money.

rdmpe
12/06/2006, 07:20 PM
Man, that is a bummer. Terrible :(

Stile2
12/06/2006, 07:26 PM
xtrstangx,
Under what circumstance did you lose a second Finnex heater?
Keith

xtrstangx
12/06/2006, 08:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8695797#post8695797 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Stile2
xtrstangx,
Under what circumstance did you lose a second Finnex heater?
Keith

Not sure. It was working fine last night... came home today and apparantly wasn't running, replaced it with another heater I have on hand. I plugged it into another circuit, another outlet, still doesn't work.

Stile2
12/06/2006, 09:01 PM
Do you run it through a Reefkeeper 2?

xtrstangx
12/06/2006, 09:08 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8696561#post8696561 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Stile2
Do you run it through a Reefkeeper 2?

Yep

Bax
12/07/2006, 01:20 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8694051#post8694051 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by xtrstangx
1 dead for sure, 2 missing. Not sure why. They were temp floated until temp matched, then moved into a drip system (with heat maintained), and finally refloated to match temp perfectly...

rdmpe, they are nice looking fish. Last week liveaquaria.com had them for $13.99 each, so if you got them in a group order, you'd save a LOT of money.

Are the other locals who participated in the group buy having the same mortality issues? ... I've been considering ordering anthias from liveaquaria in the furture.

xtrstangx
12/07/2006, 01:57 PM
Bax, it was me and 2 other guys, no problems with theirs.

Bax
12/07/2006, 02:25 PM
Hmm? A two hour acclimation period too, it seems like you introduced them properly. And, it's too soon to be a feeding issue. Too bad, I do hope you try again, they are beautiful fish.

msuzuki126
12/16/2006, 11:14 PM
Hey, any updates?

xtrstangx
12/17/2006, 12:41 AM
Nothing really to update... the frags are doing OK, starting to encrust. I'm getting my calcium reactor this week and hope to have it fully functionally by the end of December.

msuzuki126
12/17/2006, 11:14 AM
Cool, did you get a kalk reactor too?

xtrstangx
12/17/2006, 01:06 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8770436#post8770436 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by msuzuki126
Cool, did you get a kalk reactor too?

Yep. I've had the kalk running for a few weeks now, works great. Both are being made by Aquatic Systems Design. They are local to me and they do great work... I'd recommend them to anyone.

Stile2
12/17/2006, 01:51 PM
Any fix for the heater and RK2 problem? I need to email them and see if they can do something.

xtrstangx
12/17/2006, 02:15 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8771271#post8771271 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Stile2
Any fix for the heater and RK2 problem? I need to email them and see if they can do something.

Not yet. I asked for a recommendation on what to replace my heater with, and they told me to ask Champion Lighting. Champion buys a LOT of units from DA apparantly and they said they haven't heard of any issues with the Won Bros heater only. Heres the link:
http://www.championlighting.com/product.php?productid=28153&cat=392&page=1

Stile2
12/17/2006, 02:19 PM
that's strange because Won Bros is the first heater I had go bad. That one shorted out to the water. Shocking experience finding that out.

xtrstangx
12/17/2006, 03:22 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=8771387#post8771387 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Stile2
that's strange because Won Bros is the first heater I had go bad. That one shorted out to the water. Shocking experience finding that out.

Really? Was it on a RK2? Also did you use the Won Bro controller too or JUST the heater element?

yoboyjdizz
12/17/2006, 06:39 PM
I use the visi-therm stealth heaters for 3 years now with no problems in all my tanks. Any new pictures for us.....

Bax
12/17/2006, 08:59 PM
I'll have to look back for the thread, but there's been isses with the Won Bros heaters. I had one, it fried.

I now use the stealths on the RK and it works well.

xtrstangx
12/17/2006, 09:02 PM
Stealths? I'll grab one and give it a shot since you guys have had problems with the Won Bros.

No new pics.. Maybe this week, but doubtful. I have all my finals this week plus working 30 hours at work (normally do about 15).

xtrstangx
01/10/2007, 10:29 PM
I just got back from 5 days in the Florida Keys... I got to see a few real coral reefs which is pretty sweet. I have a few pictures that are being developed that I will post soon.

Bax
01/11/2007, 05:50 AM
Great! There's nothing like seeing a natural reef to inspire you as a reef keeper. Maybe we could see some more pics of your reef in a box too? :)