PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me about this anemone?

Huggyjd
06/13/2006, 05:36 PM
Got this from a buddy of mine .Its lime green and transparent. Looks like bubble tips.http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/500/50420DAY_20_100.jpg

BreadmanMike
06/13/2006, 05:59 PM
long tentacle, I think!

Huggyjd
06/13/2006, 06:15 PM
Is this rare? It looks very delicate.

BreadmanMike
06/13/2006, 06:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7555134#post7555134 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Huggyjd
Is this rare? It looks very delicate.

No, LTA's are a very common anemone. If you want some good info on it, check out the anemone (http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?s=&forumid=36) forum.

reefshadow
06/13/2006, 06:26 PM
hi, huggy.

it's kind of hard to tell without a better picture, a sharp clear one of the tentacles, and one of the base, where the tentacles meet the base.

i can say almost certainly that it is not a healthy anemone though, the fact that it's transparent and the tentacles look so stubby is not good. what kind of light did the previous owner have. it looks like it has lost all of it's zooxanthellae.

if it is an lta -macrodactlya doreensis- they usually have a reddish coloured base and will burrow into the sand until the foot is stuck to the glass on the bottom of the tank.

you have good light, so that combined with a decent feeding regimine could bring it back to health.

good luck

Huggyjd
06/14/2006, 03:45 AM
He picked it up right out of the fish farm. Right off the truck.My tank was its first

boxfishpooalot
06/14/2006, 04:38 AM
I agree it looks like it bleached(loss of zoox). That results from too much heat. As the zoox produce hydrogen peroxide the host will expell the algae to protect itself from damage from H2O2. This happens at a faster rate when the metabolisim increases(from heat)

If from a fish farmer, they might use very intense lighting to get maximum growth in the shortest time frame. The infrared light can cause the surface of the invert to gain a temperature of up to 5.5 f. Most corals have thermal tolerances of about 84 f max. Add to that the effect of UVA radiation and ifrared radiation you can easily bleach a coral/anemone even at 80f. IMO.

I would make sure you feed it daily if you want it to live, because zoox provide it with alot of sugar food, wich allows the anemone to go without food for a long time.Its a symbiotic relationship. I would feed it anything it will eat.

Also, you finger should stick to the tenticle if its healthy, if not its stressed out.

boxfishpooalot
06/14/2006, 04:38 AM
Oops double post. :lol: