PDA

View Full Version : Frequent power outages killing my return pump?

fsn77
06/14/2006, 10:26 AM
Can frequent power outages, which cause a return pump to turn off and then back on, damage it? I'm not sure how old our pump is since we got it used with everything else. It's a submersible pump -- the only brand markings on it are CA 2200. I know that certain brands of powerheads aren't recommended for on/off wavemaker applications because it causes them to wear out more quickly, but I don't know how on / off conditions affect a return pump.

We had a series of brief power outages last night (storms), and it didn't sucessfully start pumping once the power came back on. Once I realized it, I cleaned it, thinking that some calcified build-up in it was the problem, but nothing in it except a very small amount of sludge around the edges. It still had a rough time starting up after the cleaning.

I fear it may be time to replace this return pump, if not now, soon. Are there return pumps that perform better under on / off conditions like certain brands of powerheads? We'd be looking for one that pumps 500 - 600 gph after 55" of head.

If nothing else, I'm feeling better about the multiple powerheads we have in our tank for extra circulation -- at least they all came back on after the power outage.

clord
06/14/2006, 10:40 AM
I have never had a problem with my MAG 5 pump and I have a lot of power outages too. So you may want to buy one just in case.

fsn77
06/14/2006, 07:50 PM
Any other opinions?

beaniebeagle
06/14/2006, 09:06 PM
the mag 9.5's in my pond have gone through multiple power outages...from storms and from the fact that the wiring outside isnt exactly up to code...to much rain trips the gpfc(or whatever that abbreviation is)

they keep on going, and restart immediately