PDA

View Full Version : Harlequin tusk

bluerug
06/14/2006, 01:29 PM
I am wondering how hardy these guys really are? I have heard mixed opinions about these fish and would like to know what the dealio is. I am seriously thinking about getting this fish to be the last fish i add to my tank, in a few weeks time.

thor32766
06/14/2006, 01:35 PM
Great fish! Very hardy in my opionion. But like always try to make sure its eating before buying and always nice to get a fish that has been at the store for a little while. Other than that one of the most beautiful and personable fish in the industry. are you from orlando? Let us know what you get.

Fizhstiks
06/14/2006, 01:37 PM
Heres a good article on them:
http://wetwebmedia.com/marine/fishes/wrasses/choerodon/faciata.htm

according to the article, they are hardy and disease resistant.

bluerug
06/14/2006, 01:46 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7560212#post7560212 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by thor32766
Great fish! Very hardy in my opionion. But like always try to make sure its eating before buying and always nice to get a fish that has been at the store for a little while. Other than that one of the most beautiful and personable fish in the industry. are you from orlando? Let us know what you get.
I am from orlando, thank you for the article, i will go and read that now.

witfull
06/15/2006, 12:43 AM
make sure its an Austarian tusk...most labeled as Indo come from the philipines and that could very well mean a cyanide capture,,,nuff said~

thegreek
06/15/2006, 12:49 PM
I have an Australian Harlequin Tusk. The coloration is just stunningly beautiful. He is an active fish and has a voracious appetite. Has to compete with my Golden Sabo Puffer as my fav fish in my FOWLR tank :) .....I would highly recommend this fish !

bluerug
06/15/2006, 04:07 PM
Just got a question that kinda goes off subject, where are clown triggers from, i hope not the phillipines, but can they come from there?

Ironsheikh
06/15/2006, 07:30 PM
I think cyanide is the only reason to worry --

those fish are thick and muscular - def hardy unless you keep your water chemistry way off, but then im sure you wouldnt invest in a $100 + dollar fish

thegreek
06/16/2006, 02:56 AM
Just got a question that kinda goes off subject, where are clown triggers from, i hope not the phillipines, but can they come from there?

.....Personally i would never buy a fish known to have come from the Phillipines. Always know where your fish come from if at all possible. Your better LFS will not accept fish from the Phillipines

LRS078
06/20/2006, 09:00 PM
If the tusk is a true aussie sourced animal it is quite tough.

I've seen some very healthy fish that did the sudden unexplained death syndrome that had been possible/likely phillipines (or even indo pacific) sourced. Its not just cyanide, its quinine, bleach, and at least a dozen other chemicals that pretty much are a sub year death sentence for any fish collected that with them. Just not worth it....as in "NEVER AGAIN". Red Sea, Aussie, or Hawaiian sourced fish have been solid in my experience.

Buy an Aussie tusk from someone you trust to source it as an aussie. If you don't have anyone local MarineCenter.com is known for having good aussie tusks and not a bad price on them.

Hope this helps...