PDA

View Full Version : Peppermint Shrimp gone?

drillsar
06/14/2006, 10:38 PM
This is weird, I cant find him anywhere, Can a bristle star eat him? or a emerald crab? I dont see any traces of him.

smcdonn
06/15/2006, 12:05 AM
they hide quite well. I don't see mine for a few days at a time

Brandon M
06/15/2006, 01:05 AM
They do hide very well...I have two that go unseen for days at a time. I see mine more when the lights are off.

I wouldnt worry about it too much :)

crzy4reefs
06/15/2006, 06:11 AM
yeah i put in 2 good sized ones this week and only see one, mostly at night you may see them, i think when they get used to the tank they come out more.......my friends is out all the time

Bambalamb
06/15/2006, 07:47 AM
I agree with all above that they will hide. I have 3 that hang upside-down at the front of little caves in my rockwork. But as to your original question, I was having several unexplained dissappearances that stopped when I got rid of my brittle star.

Liverneck
06/15/2006, 07:55 AM
Possible brittle star food, keep looking for him, they sometimes hide for a few days when they molt to protect themselves from predators since their shell is soft.

nu2reef-n
06/15/2006, 09:28 PM
What other fish are in your tank?
I had 5, but only 2 left.
I watched my six line wrasse take down two. I'm sure he did the others the same way.
I was worried about the coral-banded shrimp, but the six-line is the real bad guy.

IslandCrow
06/15/2006, 09:45 PM
Hmm, I never suspected my brittle star. I've had four peppermint shrimp at different times, and they've all disappeared mysteriously. I bought the last pair about two months ago, and haven't seen them day or night, so I'm pretty sure they're dead. I've never seen a body turn up, though.

drillsar
06/15/2006, 09:51 PM
It has to be the brittle star, I dont have any other fish that would, I have 2 clowns, scooter blenny. I like the brittle star but now im wondering if i should let him go.