PDA

View Full Version : Green Brain assesment. disease?

Hightower33
06/14/2006, 11:29 PM
I have an open brain that seems to be for the most part healthy. It even takes food no problem. However I am concerned with a portion of its outer part. As you can see in the picture, on the top right, there is no green "skin" but rather light brown and white. This is there all the time now and is kinda giving the impression that it is spreading inward.

I took the picture just after it fed, since it bloats up and easier to see it. The other brown white marking obviously appear when it bloats but this other part remains? Any assesments?

http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/502/79138open_brain.JPG

davejnz
06/15/2006, 01:16 AM
Keep your nutrient levels low in the tank by cranking up the skimmer,waterchanges,and if your not aready,I'd recommend useing carbon filtration.I would continue to feed it nightly and shade the receding part under an overhang.If it is eating,the chances of recovery are very good.If you see a brown jelly substance from the receding tissue,then thats another story.

Hightower33
06/15/2006, 01:20 AM
what exactly is happening?

All other corals are doing great. water quality is quite high. Its under VHO lighting with medium flow.

davejnz
06/15/2006, 01:46 AM
Trachyphyllia geoffroyi(Open Brain) is one of those corals that are susceptibel to rapid tissue necrosis(RTN),they are also prone to recession.IME,the one i have kept needed at least weekly feedings to maintain health/growth.These corals are low-light corals and appreciate regular feedings

Hightower33
06/15/2006, 08:10 AM
ok fair enough, but to understand my situation, mine is recessing because of too much light?

I doubt its feedings. I feed it twice a week.

davejnz
06/15/2006, 12:06 PM
Possibly,I doubt it though.VHO's in a 90gal tank shouldn't be too much light.How long have you had it?What other corals do you keep with it?

Hightower33
06/15/2006, 06:18 PM
I've had it for about a month. Its sitting on the sand bed.

Other corals all healthy are frogspawn, hammerhead, candy cane, xenia, mushrooms, leathers, and zoos.

There is nothing in range to be stinging it either nor have I observed any shrimp or crabs irritating it.

davejnz
06/15/2006, 06:49 PM
Some Leathers are known to release toxins into the water that many corals are susceptible to.Use waterchanges,and IMO,I'd use a 24/7/365 carbon filtration.In the mean time,shade it and keep feeding it.

Hightower33
06/16/2006, 12:42 AM
Ok thanks. It sounds like it still has a chance.

Beastmaster
06/16/2006, 04:48 AM
Hi there - sorry to hijack this thread. I also have a green trachyphyllia that isn't looking it's best. What do you feed yours and how? I have tried the usual frozen stuff/cyclopeeze.

raoul
06/16/2006, 12:18 PM
I have a thought. I was told about it from the lfs (our reef club really likes him, and we feel we can trust him) and I've seen it on my trach. Sometimes the sand can get on them and irritate them, this can cause the tissue to die off. I usually blow things off when the lights come on and sometimes this messes with the sand. I make sure to do a sweep of the brain too, just to make sure there isn't any sand in the grooves to irritate it.
Just a thought, I think you've had some really good suggestions, I thought I might be able to contribute just a little.
Good luck!

oddballs
06/16/2006, 02:04 PM
the green trachys from what i know like higher intensity lights than the red or red and green color morphs.i read it in a book i think the borneman book but not sure.since reading that i have kept my green ones when they come in under vhos and metal halides it seems to help them not be so problem prone imo.

waterfaller1
06/18/2006, 05:29 AM
Are you sure the hammer and frogspawn are'nt in range? They have long sweepers that come out at night.

Hightower33
06/18/2006, 08:52 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7581538#post7581538 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by waterfaller1
Are you sure the hammer and frogspawn are'nt in range? They have long sweepers that come out at night.

Definityly not. Not even close.

My LFS said to treat it with a lugols dip. Says its probably brown jelly disease.

Some conflicting words here. it needs high intesity, it doesnt and shade it. sand, etc etc.

So I went halfway. He's in an area I would call medium light compared the rest of tank. He also at last night and is well bloated. I'll try the dip as well.