PDA

View Full Version : 110 Gallon Blow out at 1AM!

BadOleRoss
06/15/2006, 01:15 AM
I cant say enough about the water alarms I have placed beside each of my tanks (110 & 220) and in my water room. You see, at 1 am this morning I was enjoying my slumber when the water alarm on my 110 reef sounded. Come to find out that a rock had shifted in the tank and cracked the back glass from side to side about 6 inches off the bottom of the tank. I was losing a gallon or 3 per minute onto my hardwood floors. The wife and I unloaded the LR, corals, and fish into a 55 gallon tank. All of my LS is sitting in 3-4 5 gallon buckets. Now, here is the question. Tomorrow I am headed to my LFS to purchase a 90 gallon tank. When I place the LS back in the tank along with the LR am I going to see any kind of ammonia spike from the sand to the point where I need to keep the fish out of the tank? Like I said, the sand right now is sitting in buckets topped of with SW. If you dont have a water alarm, please get one!

asmujica
06/15/2006, 01:20 AM
How deep was your sandbed?

If it was a shallow sandbed I don't foresee any problems.

kraze3
06/15/2006, 01:21 AM
WOW that is awful, sorry man.

Im not sure about the sand, depends on how deep the sand bed was, how often and what was sifting it. I think I would add the lr then the sand and test for a day or 2 before adding my fish back, just to be on the safe side ya know. Im sure they will be fine in the 55 for a day or 2

Good Luck and again sorry for your tank loss

BadOleRoss
06/15/2006, 01:26 AM
The sand bed was a good 5-6 inches deep and was being sifted by a cuke and a sand sifting sea star. There was also an engineer goby that was a great little digger!

asmujica
06/15/2006, 01:28 AM
Then yes it coul be a big problem to reintroduce it to the tank. You probably dug up a lot of nasties that would surely cause an amonia spike. I would've only reused the top 2 inches of that sand.

BadOleRoss
06/15/2006, 01:34 AM
At this point I have no idea what the top 2 inches is as I am sure you can understand. I will only use part of the sand when I set the rank back up to limit any problems. I will heavily rinse the remaining sand and possibly add it back in over time.

asmujica
06/15/2006, 01:36 AM
Do a search for reusing DSB for some tips on what you could do to reuse that sand again.

Best of luck!!

BadOleRoss
06/15/2006, 01:38 AM
Thanks for the assistance!

waterboy82
06/15/2006, 01:40 AM
sorry to hear about your tank. I had that happen on my 40g fresh and all glass paid for a new oak hardwood floor for me.
I didn't know about these water alarms, can you recommend a good one? thanks.

Joulko
06/15/2006, 03:23 AM
Sorry for you man, what a mission !
I often imagine my 120gal exploding at night, as I made it myself...
Maybe i'll take out my see urchins this week end, they often push stuff around.
The one good thing is the occasion to change some stuff: we always think of 'if I get a new tank' !
Good luck

BadOleRoss
06/15/2006, 05:37 AM
The alarms i am using are sold at Lowe's and ran me ess then $15ea. They had them with the sump pumps. they are battery powered and will wake the dead.