PDA

View Full Version : Last tank setup question...I hope.

tamsprk
06/15/2006, 02:09 AM
As I have read in the posts, more flow in a reef tank is a good thing. For my 25 gallon, I'm thinking two Maxi-Jet 900's aimed in a crossing pattern opposite each other will produce a random effect. Now, should I be using the adapter that rotates to make a wavelike motion, or should I put the MJ's on a wive timer? I know enough not to have the jets hit my corals directly, so I'm just debating what to buy.

kraze3
06/15/2006, 02:17 AM
There are many corals that like low flow areas. I would ceck for some info on your corals. Ethier invest in a coral book or check a site such as liveaquaria.com. GL

Avi
06/15/2006, 05:44 AM
Those Hydor Flow Deflectors are one of the best bargains in this otherwise expensive hobby. I have them on two MJ1200s in my reef and I really find them to be excellent for what they do to improve the quality of the waterflow from the MJs. The only problem with them for you would be that they do extend the size of the MJs and in a 25-gallon tank that might be obtrusive. If you don't mind that, get them. Otherwise, go for those "wave" timers that are available for MJs.

Frontosas
06/15/2006, 07:19 AM
What kind of substrate you use? Too much flow in a little tank may cause a sandstorm (if you have a ssb or dsb).

tamsprk
06/15/2006, 10:43 AM
In the display I have a 3" sand bed. The tank is still cycling, so I'm hoping the sand gets a little heavier and doesn't move so much (the flow from my main pump is already shifting it like dunes). Will the 360 degree rotating adaptor make water spill out of the tank?

MarkD40
06/15/2006, 11:12 AM
Do you really think this will be your last tank set-up question?:lmao:

Avi
06/15/2006, 12:36 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7566059#post7566059 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by tamsprk
Will the 360 degree rotating adaptor make water spill out of the tank?

No, don't worry...it won't. The flow that it creates is a diffuse sort of flow, and it will not send water flying when the rotator's exit faces "up."

tamsprk
06/15/2006, 02:02 PM
MarkD40, I know, I am an optimist, I'm hoping it's the last question I have to ask. I would use the search feature, but at this point I believe it's a myth. Thanks for all the responses, I'll try not to kill anything.

MarkD40
06/16/2006, 03:52 PM
tamsprk. Considering all of the good advice you get on RC you save lots of time and money so the $25 per year subscriber fee is well worth it. Plus, once you become a supporter you can search all you want and never get that server busy message. Just a thought.

tamsprk
06/16/2006, 04:15 PM
Ha, I know the $25 premium fee is nothing but right now, I'm looking at that fee as a powerhead ;-).

GARFVolunteer
06/16/2006, 05:01 PM
There are many corals that seem to do better with low flows. My wife's 60 gallon tank has a Seio 820 that is on it's lowest setting so it's output is probably less than 200 gph. It is set up on the left side of the tank pointing to the right. The only other current comes from the skimmer which is negligible.

The corals in that tank love it. She has different types of frog spawn, Caulastrea, sarchophyton, xenia, zoanthids, paythoa, star polyps and more. It is one of the simplest setups I have ever done and one of the best looking.

So the current needed depends on what you want to keep...

Thanks,

Scott