PDA

View Full Version : reptile lights?

weaselslucks
06/15/2006, 08:08 AM
OK so i am cycling a 29 gallon 17 inch high tank.eventualy i want to have soft corals however, my money problems have made me rethink the light for now.I would like to put in LR from refferrock.com because it has a lot of life on the rock.i have a regular 18 w bulb in the hood I have now i can change that out with a coral grow one or something. I also have two reptile(looks like florecent) full spectrum 18 w (each)units.my question is could i get away with one of these light set ups and keep most of whats on the LR alive?if so which one. eventually i thought i could get the light and add a little mor LR to seed the tank if most of the things die.

oh one more thing should i add it while cycleing or will all the goodies on the rocks die from the large spikes?

thanks

IPowderBlueTang
06/15/2006, 10:05 AM
When cycling the rock most goodies will die, but some will come back to life.
I don't know the rating of your lights, but I use flourecent lighting from home depot and they are rated at 5000k to 6700k on the packaging and rated at 20 - 40 watts and they do good in an aquarium. They are cheap at $5 a tube and gowth is good.
I use six 40 watts in a 120gal and everything flourishing!