PDA

View Full Version : Nautilus TE Review

Biggie
06/15/2006, 08:12 AM
Anyone using this Skimmer? Any goods bads, comments, comparisons would be helpful. Specs say its good upto 300 gal. How but not what kind of pump to use.

elvictre
06/15/2006, 08:29 AM
I use it on my 75 gal. I love it. I would not use it on a 300 gal. Also I use a dolphin pump with mine.

Vic

Biggie
06/15/2006, 08:42 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7565250#post7565250 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by elvictre
I use it on my 75 gal. I love it. I would not use it on a 300 gal. Also I use a dolphin pump with mine.

Vic Whats the flow rate on your Dolphin. Im assuming thats an external pump also, Is the Skimmer in a sump submerged. Reason Im asking is Im running this on my 90 Gal. Smaller tank but its rated or so its stated by the manufacturer thats its good for up to 300 gal. Ive never seen nor heard anyone using it for a tank that size. Im planning out a 290 tall and Im evaluating my hardware to turn that 90 into a frag tank and or a sump but its gone soon and I need to know If I need a new skimmer or not. Im running it on a Mag 7 and it does just OK not stellar by any stretch. I wonder if I put more flow thru it if it would bump up its performance to get the job done on my future 290.

elvictre
06/15/2006, 08:51 AM
My pump is submerged. I use a DP800 rated for 800 gph. I tried the RIO 2100 that is the most recommended on most sites that sell this skimmer and I didn't like it. Like I said I wouldn't use it on a 290. I would want a lot larger and stronger skimmer for a tank that size, but for your 90 it is fine.

Vic

REEFERINDC
06/15/2006, 09:21 AM
I ran a mag7 first and didn't really like its work .I now run a Rio2100 and I would say it works better for me.I wouldn't take this skimmer higher then a 200 gallon with the right pump.

Biggie
06/15/2006, 09:59 AM
I cant complain about the Mag 7 really I started out with a Mag 5 and that wasnt nearly enough flow. Ok Ill take this as I need a new skimmer Bad thing on that Nautilus is it has no drain tube on the cup so you gotta catch it or it overflows into your sump. I check it daily but after a water change it gets foaming pretty good I gotta watch it pretty close or it dumps back into my sump. Most of the larger skimmers have an overflow tube attatched to the cup that drains into a bucket or jug or whatever so you have a fail safe. Overall its a fine skimmer for the price. Thanks for the feed back I know what needs to be done now.