PDA

View Full Version : Hopefully not redundant...anthias, best ones?

EvilMel
06/15/2006, 11:59 AM
Hello, I am new to this forum but not RC. I know in some of the other forums questions get asked over and over again, so let me just go ahead and say I'm sorry if this one has been repeated lately.

I have a new 240g tank (upgraded from a 135g that has been set up for about 8 years) with a Naso and some small gobies. The naso is the only fish over an inch long (except for a mated pair of spotted mandarins) and I am wondering about adding some other column-swimming fish. I am considering a small school of anthias, but I really have no clue about them.

I know you need 1 male and several females (depending on species?). But as far as discerning the difference between the different types...well that information seems to be a bit more limited.

Is there a clear group of anthias that have more success long-term?

Is it required to feed them twice daily (or several times) or can you feed once daily?

I'm also concerned about aggression towards my small gobies. Some are more peaceful than others, so that would be a consideration as well.
I'm wanting ones that will stay smaller (there's some groups of anthias that get to be 8" and the last thing I want is to kill my bioload in the 240 with a naso and 6 8" fish). I'm thinking of some of the ones that stay under 5", which ones of these stay smaller?

I know that's a lot of questions so any information you can give me would be helpful. Help me pick my perfect anthia!

Currently kinda looking at disbar, evansi, or maybe even randall's.

Corn
06/15/2006, 12:26 PM
well for feeding the fish that is easy all that you have to do is get a auto feeder "daily double' feeder about 35-45 $. then buy pellets food works the best also feed once a day or every other day frozen food.
for what kind to get the best is bartlett's and lyretail to gather. so you would have 2 schools of small fish about 6-10 in each school or one or other
squarebacks get to big for what you want, purple want live in higher light tanks that well also the way that they are collected is not that grate, sunburst will starve to death because they will not go after food in that tank if there is lots of fish swimming around.
they will not effect the globes in you tank at all. anthias live in a different zone in the tank, mid to high water where globes live on the bottom of the tank
with lyretail you can get a male and then get the females or get all females and one will turn into a male same with the bartlett's one will turn into a male. you will know this by the spike on the top fin of the fish.
if you have any questions PM me and hope this helps out

EvilMel
06/15/2006, 12:36 PM
So they can eat pellets as a large part of the diet if supplemented with frozen foods? I did not know that. I really don't know that much about fish other than gobies, dragonets, and nasos.

So then bartlett's and lyretails, huh? At the same time? I think that's too many fish. 12 4-5" fish is a bunch in there! hah hah. I really want to keep the bioload from getting out of control because my naso is going to be really big one day (she's already about 8").

Will I have better likelihood of success with the two schools, versus just the one?

Also, Isn't shipping a problem with these guys?

EvilMel
06/16/2006, 10:05 AM
^

bkelley02
06/16/2006, 05:36 PM
I've had a group of Lyretails for over 6 months and have never been able to get them to eat Pellets or and kind of flake food. They'll mouth the pellets, but then spit them out after about a second. Maybe there's a secret to it but I've never had luck. Love my Anthias though. :D

Corn
06/16/2006, 10:41 PM
the best pellets is a kind called Dainichi there are different sizes but for the anthias is the baby. i get both the veg and meat kind and mix the 2 they go crazy for it. i just put 3 more bart and 5 more lyrerails so the total are 9 bart and 10 lyretails. but check out my photos to see my tank.

EvilMel
06/17/2006, 07:45 AM
Great guys!

Thanks a ton.

bkelley02
06/17/2006, 08:14 AM
Corn, Where are you getting these pellets? Are they the ones for Koi? That's the only kind I can find.

danthemanj
07/05/2006, 06:40 AM
If you look under the order forms they have one for Marine too.

bkelley02
07/05/2006, 07:25 AM
I can see a place to choose what type of food I'm interested that has Marine and Tropical listed, but nothing to place an order for either. Can you tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks,

Brian

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7682860#post7682860 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by danthemanj
If you look under the order forms they have one for Marine too.

bjolly
07/05/2006, 03:28 PM
corn, where did you get your bartletts? I haven't seen anywhere that lists males & females separately for those.

willy21
07/05/2006, 04:02 PM
I would go for bartletts, i just got a trio and they were eating the flake food hours after introduction. They are the most aggressive eaters in the tank.

Corn
07/06/2006, 12:02 AM
with anthias the most aggressive will turn into a male so just get them in groups of 3,5,7 and so on then one will turn. but you should get them when they are small. PM me if you still have Q's
Matt

RichConley
07/06/2006, 09:19 AM
If size of fish is an issue, you could look into building a shoal of fairy or flasher wrasses.

I think I'm going to get 8 Cirrhilabrus Lubbocki when I get a big tank. They stay small, and are absolutely gorgeous.

jda
07/06/2006, 12:22 PM
Try formula II or forumla I pellets for the anthias. Mine take it without any issue after a few weeks.

Corn
07/06/2006, 11:06 PM
that will work for pellets but from working at a fish store i have come to find that i dont like the forumla foods. the reason is that there are better quality foods out there which will bring out color in the fish better and keep them healthy and happy. but if it works for you then go with it.