PDA

View Full Version : Exotic Tropicals--status?

Crit21
06/16/2006, 08:12 AM
I haven't been there since about 2 days after the new owner took over. Is anything differrent about the livestock, service or prices?

Crit21
06/16/2006, 01:40 PM
Sure is quiet in here. 14 views and no responses.

calvin415
06/16/2006, 02:35 PM
Sorry bro, I haven't been by... I've moved offices and it's no longer on my way home.

ReefJerk
06/16/2006, 03:08 PM
I was there a couple weeks ago. His prices are heading toward Seascape levels. He still has the sps frags up front for $15, if I remember right. I will be going tomorrow seeing that i have $125 in store credit. Maybe I'll just buy a couple buckets of salt.

I'll let you know if the fish he got in the last I was there are still healthy.

BLUEMANDJ
06/16/2006, 05:10 PM
I got one Blue Spot Jawfish from him a couple of weeks ago. It was dead within 10 hours. I found out later that the other Blue Spot was dead in about 2 hours after I picked up mine.

His response was " I dont offer a guarantee on salt water fish."

Seems like a nice enough guy, I just dont think I will get anything from him but Dry Goods.

I am a little bitter and was really loking forward to having that fish. I had a tank all set up for it and was waiting for it for over a month. The tank is still just sitting there not really sure what I want to put in it now.

Crit21
06/16/2006, 05:32 PM
Well, a business can get a bad reputation in days, but a good one takes a long time to build.

Wow, Trey sold those small frags to me for $5 to $10. The new Fishy Business guy will clean up then. He said he wants to upgrade the lighting and keep all kinds of corals.

BLUEMANDJ
06/16/2006, 05:40 PM
I will belive it when I see it!

Crit21
06/16/2006, 05:47 PM
me too. Frankly, if I'm going to pay Seascape prices, I'll go to Denver or Mr Aqua.

Deuce67
06/17/2006, 06:40 AM
I was in Exotic a few weeks ago. The new owner has cleaned up a bit. Prices are good. I didnt look at any livestock though. Very promising for the new owner I think. Fishy was still a dump when I went in. I think the current owner is just too burnt out to even care. Hopefully the new will make some changes. As far as locally goes, Seascape is still my choice. Clean store, well arranged, a better selection in dry goods and I never had any problems with the owners.

Crit21
06/17/2006, 08:16 AM
Russ, I also noticed that difference in the appearance of Exotic Tropicals a month ago, right after he took over. I hope Fishy Business lives up to the new owner's claims too. Either way, I guess we'll all buy from whomever has the price, quality, service and selection that fits our needs. The town is big enough for everyone.

Crit21
06/17/2006, 08:56 AM
As a small business owner, I know that you can't expect either of them to hit the ground running. It's all a blur at first, and incredibly stressful. They'll both need time to figure things out: rent, advertizing, insurance, payroll, state, federal and local taxes, utilities, inventory, maintenance, employee issues, supplier problems, handling customer complaints, etc. I wish them all success.

murfman
06/17/2006, 06:57 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7577649#post7577649 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Crit21
As a small business owner, I know that you can't expect either of them to hit the ground running. It's all a blur at first, and incredibly stressful. They'll both need time to figure things out: rent, advertizing, insurance, payroll, state, federal and local taxes, utilities, inventory, maintenance, employee issues, supplier problems, handling customer complaints, etc. I wish them all success.

Hmmmm sounds like OJT!

Crit21
06/17/2006, 09:11 PM
You really have to be willing to work a ton of hours and put up with an incredible amount of stress, but if you're smart and willing to stick with it, it's worth it.

The Haj
06/17/2006, 10:31 PM
I can second for that...

reefkoi
06/18/2006, 09:49 PM
Well I think Scott is cleaning up the store nicely, I noticed kent salt shot up to $59 but maybe thats what needs to happen to stay in business, you cant sell things too cheaply or you'll go bye bye like so many others have. All I can say is you have to give a new business a chance. I could never seem to get to treys when he had anything live for sale, so I think having stuff in the store most of the time is worth paying a bit extra for me.

Crit21
06/19/2006, 03:35 PM
You pretty much had to help Trey unload the truck to get anything good, that's for sure. A few of us got some really nice frags that way.

dartdude
06/20/2006, 11:52 AM
If it wasnt for Trey I would have never got into the saltwater thing, one thing is for sure the guy will be missed.

Adam

reefkoi
06/20/2006, 03:19 PM
I agree Trey was really cool, I only started going there since August last year, but I found some nice stuff for a really great price.

johnstelting
06/20/2006, 09:11 PM
Here's my 2 cents.

I asked him to check on getting replacement filters for the RO/DI unit Trey's uncle built....... this was 3 weeks ago....... still waiting on prices.... he didn't seem to want to bother.... keeping saying he was waiting on the uncle to get back with him with price lists.. told him I was getting mad that it's seemed to me that it seemed to me that I was out over $100 for an RO/DI unit that I now couldn't get filters for....... he told me I should be upset with Trey not him...

His fees for sellilng used equipment is really high..... something like 30%. I doubt he makes this much profit on new units and would be happy to sell used tanks just to get customers in the store to buy accessories.

Crit21
06/21/2006, 10:59 AM
I think the RO units had his uncle's business name on it. I seem to remember that he had a website with the same name. Maybe someone can contact Trey for his uncle's contact info.

It sounds like you're trying to sell some equipment. Have you tried to sell it in this forum?

I understand your frustration regarding the RO unit, and we all wish that Exotic's prices will remain low, but the new owner isn't bound to use the same suppliers or keep the same pricing scheme as Trey. The new owner has to walk a fine line between providing quality products and services at a competitive price, yet still be able to earn a living. Keep in mind that he may have overhead costs that Trey didn't, such as loan payments resulting from the purchase and startup costs, which would necessitate higher prices. Sorry if I sound like I'm quoting Business 101. I'm a business owner, so I have a certain amount of insight when it comes to buying an existing business. Bottom line, customers will always vote with their feet and wallet.

calvin415
06/22/2006, 01:02 PM
Went in yesterday as I posted on my clean up crew thread and while he didn't have much in stock (not fair to comment since I don't know what he might have had yesterday) what he did have had a mix of prices, some a little pricey, some at great prices like the clean up crew my buddy got. :) I think he is just like eveyone else now, you just have to shop for what you want, it's no longer a "get anything you want dirt cheap" style of store. He has expanded the SW tanks and the store is looking better, but as already mentioned, only time will tell.

Crit21
06/26/2006, 03:34 PM
Hmm. He wasn't supposed to take over until the first of July. I did see Kin standing out front of the store the day we were all at COreefer's.

calvin415
06/26/2006, 03:47 PM
Dan what do you mean?