PDA

View Full Version : Shark Tank

Ali_Z
06/16/2006, 10:24 AM
I have posed this question to a number of people but have not yet gotten the input from RC.

My plan is to have a set up which is to be one of these two:

25'x20'x10' = 37,402g

or

35'x25'x10' = 65,454g

Explain what filtration you would use on each system. In your explainatin please include the quantity of the filtration device and the configuration of the system.

Btw, when you guys have explained what you would use I will explain what I have compiled from my research.

This can be fun,

Thank you,

Ali

Ali_Z
06/16/2006, 03:00 PM
Also include the reason why.

Thank you,

Ali

binaryterror
06/16/2006, 06:14 PM
I am no expert, but the guy on here with the old 5000g shark tank used those big pond filters. The ones that are round in shape. I would use alot of those, put a different filter media in each filter unit. And if you have the extra money, get a HUGE refugium to take care of nitrates since sharks are such messy eaters.

Are you going to have live rock in there? if you are, then that could be a big part of the filtration also. but you would need a HELL of alot of rock. 40,000lbs.+! Hahaha!!

I would use the pond filters because they are meant for huge tanks/ponds with a big bio-load (some at least). Also, when I say use multiple filter units, I would put carbon in 1, then maybe fill one with a course filter pad, and then a fine filter pad, ect. And put them in any order you feel comfortable with. HTH!

reefnewbie54321
06/16/2006, 06:36 PM
I have a few questions for you before I answer yours. What do you plan on building out of? I assume cement and I also assume it will be an inground pond/tank becuase I dont see how you could build it 10 ft. tall above ground. Why 10 ft. tall? Sharks only need about 4 ft. of height. How many sharks and what sharks do you plan on keeping? This would determine the quanity of filtration.

I wouldnt use any Live Rock. This could injure the sharks. I would use large pond filters aswell. This realy isnt the right forum either ... I cant post it here but if you would like to know you are welcome to pm me. On the other foum there is a member with a 40,000g shark pond.

john beach
06/16/2006, 08:07 PM
If you really are going to do this I would love to talk to you. We have done successful sharks tanks. Part of the success depends on the animals and the other part depends on the set-up.

Do not go into this lightly! These are magnificent animals and need to be treated with great care.

reffer69
06/16/2006, 08:40 PM
WOW what type of sharks? id love 1! for filtration depends on what you have cash wise? a huge sump would be a good idea, also a deep sand bed mayby 1ft would help ALOT.

john beach
06/16/2006, 08:52 PM
The shark tank that that is floating around this site, and a lot of others world wide, is my design. It is amazing how many people from New York to California are taking credit for this.

I even found that aquarium on a United Kingdom web- site.

The animals are doing great and they are almost three years old.

reefnewbie54321
06/16/2006, 09:44 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7575741#post7575741 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by reffer69
WOW what type of sharks? id love 1! for filtration depends on what you have cash wise? a huge sump would be a good idea, also a deep sand bed mayby 1ft would help ALOT.

DSB would be a very bad idea .... your not dealing with little fish dropping were dealing with huge shark terds. It would clog the dsb. Its also not stable long term and is not used in any public aqauriums for that reason. Extra water volume would be a good thing thoiugh.

<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7575825#post7575825 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by john beach
The shark tank that that is floating around this site, and a lot of others world wide, is my design. It is amazing how many people from New York to California are taking credit for this.

I even found that aquarium on a United Kingdom web- site.

The animals are doing great and they are almost three years old.

The 4000g shark tank? I would like to know how thats your design? And what other tanks have you designed?

eljefe3
06/16/2006, 11:01 PM
Same OP has another thread in the FOWLR forum and it sounds kind of far fetched after reading there.

reefnewbie54321
06/16/2006, 11:52 PM
I take back what I said ... clearly after reading your other posts you are not some random person taking credit for a tank that was "owner unkown"

Very nice tank

Ali_Z
06/17/2006, 01:38 AM
The tanks planned inhabitants are one S. lewini, two C. Leucas, and a school of golden trevally and look downs. That is my plan for inhabitants right now.

The price range is ~$200,000 right noe, but may go up with time. Nothing is set in stone right now. This is not something I am going to be doing over night. This project takes much time in preperation.

Live rock is a go with me. In order to save costs on LR costs I plan to make agrocrete and seed it with a smaller percentage of LR.

Reccomend me some pumps, R.O. systems, U/V sterilezers, and Skimmers. :D The thickness of the acyrlic is also needed. The tank will be concrete and have a front panel of acyrlic.

Also, the bulk of the LR is not to be kept with the fish but in the sumps.

I had this thread in the filtration forum but it was moved here by the mod.

I will post my planned filtration tomorrow.