PDA

View Full Version : meanest fish I ever knew...

Sk8r
06/16/2006, 12:14 PM
Now some would think this would be sharks...lions...oh my!

I've kept a piranha...a shy and retiring fish by comparison.

But the meanest fish I ever tried to deal with was a dottyback. He attacked every fish I owned, attacked me, hid like a bandit, and was one of the hardest fish I've ever had to get out of my tank.

Runner-up: one of those black damsels with the electric blue V-stripe. Ran everything ragged. It certainly made the chromis stay in school.

Second runner-up: a female perc clown. I moved her anemone and for the next three years she bit my hand every time I tried to work in the tank. Repeatedly...until I sold her and her mate to a breeder. That fish could carry a grudge like nobody's business.

Seems to me it would be amusing to hear other people's grudge matches...

Bdimas
06/16/2006, 02:13 PM
I have a false perc and it is VERY aggressive. It bites me repeatedly when my hands are in my tank. It even holds on and shakes.
One day my wife proped up a fallen coral and when she pulled her hand out of the water the false perc jumped out and tried to bite her but landed on the floor instead. Im guessing it flew a couple feet! But stupid me told her to put him back in the tank instead of putting him in the sump.

Sk8r
06/16/2006, 02:59 PM
Grin. Now THAT is one onery fish!

My piranha used to cower at the other end of the tank when I adjusted the filter.

Clowns just don't take no guff.

SDguy
06/16/2006, 03:13 PM
Hey Sk8r, just curious...what species of pseudo?

Sk8r
06/16/2006, 03:28 PM
As I recall---and this is 10 years ago---it was yellow. How's that for an id?
When I heard they were related to the wolf eel, I was by no means surprised.

Bebo77
06/16/2006, 03:36 PM
damsels.. i had 3 in my old 60 gallon.. the bit me every time i put my tank in the tank...

BTTRFLYGRL
06/16/2006, 04:12 PM
I have an Arc eye Hawkfish [actually in a tank at work right now until I get my 75 ready] He never bit me, but he terrorized my Damsel and pretty much ruled the tank...I want him to be the last one in my 75, hope he will behave a little better;)

ulua56
06/16/2006, 05:37 PM
Desjardini Sailfin Tang, thinks he rules the world !!!!!!!!:uzi:

maddyfish
06/16/2006, 07:23 PM
I have a 6 1/2" black unidentified damsel. It bites me, it bites and moves rocks, it bites heaters, and it bites filters. And he has pretty big, and very sharp teeth. He has drawn blood on several occasions. He is currently banished to a 20 long tank with no rock, or decorations.

cardgenius
06/16/2006, 08:35 PM
I would have to go with my false perc also. She does a tailwhip and headbutts me everytime I put my hand in.

The first time she draws blood, she's gone!!!!

Sk8r
06/16/2006, 09:15 PM
Do you realize, by count, we have just about voted innocent lil' Nemo the meanest fish in the ocean?

Ironsheikh
06/16/2006, 09:25 PM
black domino damsels & hawaiian snowflakes are very mean fish,
piranahs are "thug fish" only tough when they are in gangs, Ive read online almost all sites agree THE MEANEST fishes are Queen Trigger and Pseudochromis Steeni (red head and fangs w/ black body). The dotty backs basslets book shows one sticking its fangs out at the camera man right before it attacks him
Ive seen on tv that Bull Sharks have the most testosterone of any animal (or shark cant remember)on the planet--ever seen the clip on animal planet when they chased one w/ a boat then it got mad and turned around and it attacked for 1 minute straight.

Manderin
06/16/2006, 11:18 PM
omg r u kidding me, i just had a velvet blue damsel and a dottyback , and i had to sell them bot back to the store!, they are so vicious with the other fish, I HATE them, well maybe just the one i had because he wouldn't let my clowns get any food, and cause he bit me

Frostyeel
06/16/2006, 11:25 PM
I had an orchid dottyback in my 20g that beat up the damsels in the tank, so much that my dad just threw it in the 180g. It is doing fine now but isn't so tough when there's a blue line trigger and klunzinger's wrasse patrolling the water.

ACBlinky
06/16/2006, 11:59 PM
The LFS where I used to work had an undulated trigger around 8-9" long. She was housed in a 110g FOWLR display and terrorized anything they tried to keep in the same tank - big lionfish, a dragon eel, BIG damsels, a trigger... eventually she was banished to the sump of a multi-tank system, and had about 100g to herself until she was sold. Feeding her was an adventure - she'd try to splash anyone who came into the back room while simultaneously biting them. She was gorgeous, but easily one of the meanest fish I've known.

witfull
06/17/2006, 12:20 AM
Sohal Tang~

Serial killer, even made me bleed on several occations.

Ironsheikh
06/17/2006, 06:16 AM
frosty --you have a pic of klunzinger's wrasse ? I was thinking about getting one

whatcaneyedo
06/17/2006, 06:42 AM
My tomato clown bites my volitan lionfish's fins and other extremities. The lionfish tries to eat him and he bites right back before darting into the anemone. It bites me when my hand is too near the anemone. It bites chucks out of pumping xenia, waving hand coral, and a pink leather coral I have as well.

sneeyatch
06/17/2006, 07:18 AM
along with the dottybacks, i think that black striped yellow chromis is the nastiest thing ever. they sell them in damsle tanks and they look really cool. they turn an ugly doo doo brown, grow devil horns, fangs, etc and attack anything.

Kahuna Tuna
06/17/2006, 08:54 AM
There are two fish that stand out and they were both triggers. The first was an undulated and this was just a mad dog fish. He would snap at anything that went into his tank, killed several fish, other triggers. He was absolutely the most aggro fish I have ever encountered. Somebody eventually bought him and I hope they were looking for the meanest fish ever as their pet.

The other was a queen trigger that was both hostile and huge. It was fine with tankmates when it was small but the larger it got the larger the attitude became and pretty soon this fish was in a very large tank by itself.

boomsticks
06/17/2006, 09:31 AM
I would have to say that my Maroon Clown is the meanest I have met so far. I did have an Orchid Dottyback way back when that killed a Niger Trigger and a perc.

Frostyeel
06/17/2006, 10:43 AM
Sure Ironsheikh, I don't have any good ones of mine because he is always either hiding behind rocks or swiming around the tank pretty fast. Here's a couple:http://www.jjphoto.dk/fish_archive/aquarium_salt/thalassoma_rueppellii_x.jpg http://www.wetwebmedia.com/WrassePix/Thalassoma/Thalassoma_rueppelliiRS2.jpg http://www.geocities.com/ogcolin/jordanie/images/aqaba_Klunzingers_Wrasse.jpg
and here are 5 more good pictures: http://www.oceanlight.com/lightbox.php?sp=Thalassoma_rueppellii

Mine used to get a little agressive around feeding time and he was so fast that he could steal food from right in front of the slower fish (all of them) and he was a bit of a bully, but not horrible. I say used and was because he seems to have gotten old so he is slower and a little more friendly. As long as your tank doesn't have any small or really delicate fish that need to be spot fed I think a klunzinger would be fine.

Torno
06/17/2006, 10:50 AM
snowflake eel. He made me bleed to death.

64Ivy
06/17/2006, 11:43 AM
Count me in with the dottyback group. My Austrailan Psudochromis has probably killed between six and eight hogfish and fairy wrasse during its lifetime by running them out of the tank. Also, strongly suspected in chasing out a Crosshatch a few years ago. Quite naturally, the fish is still alive, looks healthy as ever, and is completely uncatchable without dismantling the enitre reef. Fortunately, he seems content with my current selection of tankmates and has been quiet for the past couple years.

Norberg
06/17/2006, 12:32 PM
I had a mated pair of A. clarkii. The female was around 4 inches and they lived im my 100 gallon sump. They used to lay eggs regulary and when she guarded the eggs she was very agressiv.
She used to jump up from the water when i had my hands over the sump to try to bite me. Just trying to adjust the skimmer was a horror! :)

Vili_Shark
06/17/2006, 05:16 PM
There is nothing on earth that can compare to a Nasty Balistapus undulatus!
Few weeks ago received a large specimen ,it was well over 24hrs in a bag, my friend acclimated it with some other fish , when the fish arrived it was barely breathing and was well stressed, about 30 minutes later it started taking parts out of the fish in the acclimation bowl!

When I dive in the Red Sea and look at them, I know the other reef fish must be thanking god that the B.undulatus is one of the smaller Triggers around , i mean if this fish was reaching the size of a P.fuscus , people could seriously get into trouble....:D

Sk8r
06/17/2006, 05:31 PM
Yow! *That* is Attitude!

snorvich
06/17/2006, 05:45 PM
The absolute meanest was a Triton Trigger fish that chased me for over a hundered yards biting my fins. Second meanest were Panda Clown fish (the black and white ones, I may have the wrong name) that used to try and nip my eyes through my dive mask. In the aquarium, various tangs: Sailfin was the worst.

Amphiprion
06/17/2006, 05:52 PM
I second Balistoides viridiscens (Titan trigger). They are one of the few fish (other than sharks, etc) that everyone tells you not to mess with or even look at them. They will go Mike Tyson on you and bite your ears if you aren't careful.

snorvich
06/17/2006, 08:33 PM
Sorry about the misspelling. Ooops.

Amphiprion
06/17/2006, 09:18 PM
I looked at it before and I read "Titan." Did you change it, or was it just me reading what I wanted to read (sorry, happens a lot)?

EricBrian
06/17/2006, 09:24 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7578053#post7578053 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Torno
snowflake eel. He made me bleed to death.

He made you bleed to death? I am glad you got to write this before you died, though. LOL :)

Me No Nemo
06/17/2006, 11:55 PM
I have a maroon clown pair and the female draws blood on my husband when he is working in the tank. But I can put my hand right out to her...she even eats right out of it and never tries to attack me. Weird, huh?

Sk8r
06/18/2006, 12:14 AM
YOu must smell different. I'll bet she knows who's who.

Me No Nemo
06/18/2006, 12:20 AM
Crazy, huh? She starts posturing when she first sees him in front of the tank, but not when I am. Silly fish.

Vili_Shark
06/18/2006, 12:21 AM
Snowflakes moreys are pussycats compare to Tesselattas

I dive before with Titan in Thailand, they're considered the 2nd fish you dont want to meet after the Tiger Shark , but as aquarist we got advantage over the "regular" diver as these Triggers do give signs before they actually come at ya.
And if they did come at ya, go straight back , if they're still there put your fins and whatever you got in between u and the trigger, they will pierce the fins.

But still, we're so lucky the Undulatus dont grow to that size, it would have munch 2 Titan for breakfast....:D

Wolverine
06/18/2006, 01:01 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579467#post7579467 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vili_Shark
There is nothing on earth that can compare to a Nasty Balistapus undulatus!

That's what I was just going to post. Maroons and dominoes are mean, no question about it, but I think part of the issue there is the element of surprise. Undulated you expect to be mean, and they still surprise you.

Dave

Wolverine
06/18/2006, 01:04 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7578053#post7578053 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Torno
snowflake eel.

Forget pussycats, SFE are declawed kittens compared to some of the others on this thread. :D

Dave

Wolverine
06/18/2006, 01:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7579622#post7579622 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Amphiprion
I second Balistoides viridiscens (Titan trigger). They are one of the few fish (other than sharks, etc) that everyone tells you not to mess with or even look at them.

IME, titans aren't as mean as undulated, but they're so much bigger that they're more destructive overall, so it more than balances the equation.

Dave

waterfaller1
06/18/2006, 03:44 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7581083#post7581083 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Me No Nemo
I have a maroon clown pair and the female draws blood on my husband when he is working in the tank. But I can put my hand right out to her...she even eats right out of it and never tries to attack me. Weird, huh? Yes...but you failed to tell them you are the Fish Whisperer.:)

Me No Nemo
06/18/2006, 11:49 AM
Lol, well that is true, but that doesn't make her any less mean!!

Spaceman Spiff
06/18/2006, 12:58 PM
What type of Piranha did you have?
All from the pygocentrus family are pretty skittish.
Get an elong, and you'll never say it's shy.
Alot of them attack the glass when you walk by.
The most aggressive fish I've personally seen was a snakehead.
Can't remember which type since it wasn't mine, but it was crazy.

Wolverine
06/18/2006, 01:16 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7583016#post7583016 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Spaceman Spiff
The most aggressive fish I've personally seen was a snakehead.
Can't remember which type since it wasn't mine, but it was crazy.

As bad as they are in the movie "Terror at Snakehead Lake" (or something like that) that they show on Sci-fi?

Dave

Sk8r
06/18/2006, 02:02 PM
Ah, Philip the Piranha: 'Never mind me, I'll just have a piece of everybody else's...'

I haven't any idea which one he was. I got him when a decoration fell over at my lfs. I pointed him out, having been pinned underneath it, no knowing how long, and they were just going to scoop him out and discard him. I offered them 50 cents for him, which covered a bag to put him in, took him home, and put him in my guppy tank. He was the size of a quarter then.
He grew to the size of my hand, was thick as a deck of cards, had a beautiful red-stained front on him, and that jewel-scaled blush on his sides, going to silver, a bulldog toothy look, and thrived on ground beef. He outgrew the guppy tank when he passed fifty-cent piece size. He used to lock onto one guppy and pursue him to the exclusion of all 300 others in the tank, weaving in and out, as said guppy became lunch. But I valued my guppies, so as soon as he could switch to ground beef, that was what he got.

Vili_Shark
06/18/2006, 05:29 PM
Yep,
In FW it must be the snake head.(Channa micropeltes)
Had a big specimen when I was a kid, kept him with 2 huge Oscars they spilt the tank in between them more or less, one day I come back home and see one oscar top of the tank, on the water level and on his side, I see his friend cut into HALF , I dont have a clue how he fitted the Oscar in it's mouth but apparantly these monsters have another set of inner teeth that split the Oscar in 2, The Snakehead was laying on the gravel fat and happy with half an Oscar in his stomach.

I could never see it happened as the Oscars were chasing the Snakeheads from their territory earlier, I was also quite new to the hobby this was like 22-23 yrs ago....

Beemo
06/19/2006, 09:55 AM
red lip blenny for me
hes killing everybody in my tank slowly
im working on getting him out...no easy task
cute as heck but a meany

Vili_Shark
06/19/2006, 12:49 PM
You have the scientific name for this blenny?

Kahuna Tuna
06/19/2006, 05:28 PM
Ophioblennius atlanticus is the latin name for the red lip. I had a lawnmower blenny that was a killer, both in my tank and in a friends tank as well.

Sk8r
06/19/2006, 05:51 PM
My, oh, my---I never thought of a lawnmower as a potential problem: they've always been model citizens in my tanks. I'll revise my recommendations!

Kahuna Tuna
06/19/2006, 07:30 PM
The LM blenny I received came from a friend who had several passive fish in her 90 gallon (seahorses, jawfish, firefish) that this fish would either chase or attack outright (seahorses). I had a pretty rough and tumble 180 reef (angels, tangs, clowns, rabbitfish, pseudos) and I never anticipated any problems taking this fish in, and there wasnt any trouble for several years until the blenny suddenly started going after all of my deep bodied fish, rasping their sides with his mouth. He really went after my asfur angel and the angel eventually died from a very nasty infection but this blenny would go after every tang and foxface as well. Nasty little fish, had to tear down the tank to get him out. I have seen many LM blennies that are just model citizens but I know I'll never keep another one. :(

Sk8r
06/19/2006, 10:16 PM
Fish can learn, at a pinch---I'm convinced of it; and that one clearly learned a very bad food source.

Angel*Fish
06/20/2006, 07:46 AM
Yeah they do -

My meanest fish in my tank right now is an anthias :eek1: he pretty much killed a blackcap basslet, ate 2 yellow clown gobies & now likes to lurk in the blackcap's old cave. He must still be gloating- lol -- I never heard of anthias being cave lurkers.
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/530/5247bicolor.jpg

I had a bicolor blenny who murdered a royal gramma once :confused:

Not a fish --- but I had a small Carribean mantis that clearly used to love making an idiot out of a huma huma trigger - that was hilarious - I wish i had a video of the mantis peaking around the corner at the trigger while the trigger was going,"Where'd he go! where'd he go?" It was like Tom & Jerry :lol:

spoiledcats
06/20/2006, 10:10 AM
The meanest fish I ever had was a false percula. I don't know how many times that thing jumped out of the tank trying to attack a hand, any hand, that happened to be doing anything in the tank. It would land 4 feet down on cement (should have left it there) only to bite the hand that saved it's life when in the tank again. It finally lost the battle against a powerhead that the guard fell off of. Nobody was too upset.

Angel*Fish
06/20/2006, 11:05 AM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7594121#post7594121 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by spoiledcats
Nobody was too upset. Some fish just don't make any friends in the tank, do they?

Spaceman Spiff
06/20/2006, 11:43 AM
Sk8r, that was a red bellied piranha.
They're very skittish, and especially when there is only one, are no match for a rhom or elong.

Zoom
06/20/2006, 04:18 PM
My Clown trigger is the meanest fish I ever had , he even try to get me through the aquarium glass when i walk by.

Sk8r
06/20/2006, 04:20 PM
Tha'nks, Spaceman. I never knew. He was with me through college and after. Pretty fellow.

Vili_Shark
06/20/2006, 06:33 PM
C'mon guys,
we're talking MEAN!!!
The big undulatus will chew 99% of the fish mentioned in this thread!
And Piranha? what Piranha? That snakehead I mentioed wouldnt even bother to munch Piranhas cause they're too small for breakfast.:D

Sk8r
06/20/2006, 06:44 PM
What I've heard of the undulatus on this thread, I think you may be right. A real customer!

Angel*Fish
06/20/2006, 07:21 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7597407#post7597407 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Vili_Shark
C'mon guys,
we're talking MEAN!!!
The big undulatus will chew 99% of the fish mentioned in this thread!
And Piranha? what Piranha? That snakehead I mentioed wouldnt even bother to munch Piranhas cause they're too small for breakfast.:D Well in that case I guess someone should mention tiger sharks or whatever & be done with it -- I thought we were talking personality:D

Vili_Shark
06/21/2006, 11:44 PM
Put an Undulatus brain , in a Tiger Shark body...
What do ya think would have left in the Ocean? nothing much but a bunch of Great Whites and Killer whales....:D

unimike
06/22/2006, 05:35 AM
Lol dang...that made my tomoato clownfish that attacked my hand when my hand is too close to his anemone when I was working inside the tank just like very babyish!

andyjd
06/22/2006, 06:29 AM
My Clarkii clown, always bites me when i have an arm or hand inside the tank

FishNutzBoi
06/22/2006, 08:30 AM
My female true perc. clown sometimes bites me when i work in the tank. It really hurts lol. The meanest fish i ever dealt with tho, is a dottyback. The one with half yellow and half purple body. It attacked everything in the tank, including an beaty angel, which was like 3 times its side. I couldn't use the bottle trap or anything to catch it so i had to break down the whole tank to catch it.... Darn smart and evil fish

NexDog
06/28/2006, 08:58 PM
My female Clarkii will bite me if my hand gets too close. But the only fish I ever returned because it was mean as hell was a Bicolor Pseudochromis.

MikeD
07/21/2006, 12:07 AM
For me, all of my bad experiences were with freshwater crustaceans. One red clawed crab ripped a female fiddler crabs left side claws and legs off... I removed him as soon as I saw her (he's now in the pond). She regrew her legs and is happy now.

I also had three crayfish in a tank and one by one, the 'boss' crayfish would take one out. Now he acts all lonely!

Mike

snorvich
07/21/2006, 06:52 AM
Meanest fish I ever saw was a Titan Trigger fish. He chased me for 100 yards despite my beating on him with everything I had.

naka
07/21/2006, 02:17 PM
splendid dottyback!

Tim the Stick
07/21/2006, 03:14 PM
Well, it's not a fish, but it still is an aquatic lifeform....

Emerald Mithrax Crab, code named "Gozer the Traveler". (Yes, the "official" name of Mr. Stay-Puft from Ghostbusters)

He wasn't "mean" or "agressive", he was just simply... A dick. He Bonks. Kinda like the crab in the Honda comercial, but instead of pinch, it's Bonk. He bonks the shrimp, bonks the Tangs, bonks the clowns, bonks the corals, bonks the coral beauty, bonks the glass, bonks the starfish, even bonks me every time I stick my hand in. He hasn't pinched me one time, but he sure will run over and beat my hand all to hell with the bottom of his pincers.

Tim

onereefnotenuf
07/21/2006, 10:46 PM
bi colored dottyback. I added it last to a tank with a pigmy angel,2 inch false perc,a purple goby and a small yellow tail damsel. overnight he had killed everything in the tank except the false perc and it was torn up so bad that it lived in the hospital tank for three days before it died. it took me 3 hours to get that thing out of the tank. I had to drain it (a 55) down to 2 inches deep and remove 50 lbs. of rock to get to it. lets just say I was less than happy by the time I got it in the net. I threw it in a tank with a 6" voltans and it lived for about 5 minutes.(the dottyback):)

onereefnotenuf
07/21/2006, 10:48 PM
<a href=showthread.php?s=&postid=7787905#post7787905 target=_blank>Originally posted</a> by Tim the Stick
Well, it's not a fish, but it still is an aquatic lifeform....

Emerald Mithrax Crab, code named "Gozer the Traveler". (Yes, the "official" name of Mr. Stay-Puft from Ghostbusters)

He wasn't "mean" or "agressive", he was just simply... A dick. He Bonks. Kinda like the crab in the Honda comercial, but instead of pinch, it's Bonk. He bonks the shrimp, bonks the Tangs, bonks the clowns, bonks the corals, bonks the coral beauty, bonks the glass, bonks the starfish, even bonks me every time I stick my hand in. He hasn't pinched me one time, but he sure will run over and beat my hand all to hell with the bottom of his pincers.

Tim

that visual just cracks me up! he sounds like some kind of cartoon character!

hogpark7430
07/21/2006, 10:50 PM
Mr. maroon Clown. he was so cute when he was .5 " long . What happenedhttp://img.photobucket.com/albums/v97/hogpark7430/fish/IMG_1059.jpg

JHemdal
07/22/2006, 05:45 AM
How about the sarcastic fringehead that I wrote about in another thread? These temperate East Pacific fish are CRAZY-territorial. One collector told me that the best way to collect one is to find one in a burrow and point your finger at it. The fringehead will rush out, bite your finger, and not let go. You can then transfer it to a holding bag. Not really believing this, I once netted one out of a tank. To move it to a transfer bucket, I decided to pick it up out of the net by hand. As I moved it to the bucket, rather than struggling to get away, the fringehead opened its mouth and bit the palm of my hand. Did I mention that fringeheads can open their jaws 180 degrees and that they have two canine teeth in both their upper and lower jaws? So here I am with this fish biting the flat palm of my hand and hanging down over this bucket, refusing to let go. With only a small amount of blood (mine) I was able to get the fish to let go and drop into the bucket.

Jay Hemdal

mandrin13
07/22/2006, 09:54 AM
My clarkii clown,meanest fish ever.He lives in my xenia,and bites me whenever I get close to it.For him close is just being in the water.

I was pulling a mantis shrimp trap out and wasnt looking at my hand,but when I touched it something bit me and it hurt.It was the clarkii.

swimboy123
07/22/2006, 11:03 AM
The first show fish that I ever bought was a beautiful purple tang. He was a hearty eater and ended up growing to almost 6 inches. When I switched tanks (55-125) I added two yellow tangs. He got along fine with them, but just after that I put my hand in the tank to do something, and that little bastard came up and swiped me with his acanthuras on his tail. Now I have a scar about 1/4 long on my hand and I always make sure I know where he is when my hand goes in the tank. I would get rid of him, but he is one of the most perfect fish that i have ever seen. Oh well, just thought I'd throw in my two cents!

funtimez0314
07/22/2006, 04:32 PM
the meanest fish i have is my algea blenny it bites me when ever i put my hand in tank.

hgbarwick
07/22/2006, 05:23 PM
Meanest fish for me was my cherub anngel. Ate all my brain coral slim and he went after my clown all the time. I also had a coral banded shrimp which I removed today. He threw both of his claws at me. He was really mean!

Ironsheikh
07/25/2006, 08:36 PM
http://reefcentral.com/gallery/data/529/85245reefce.jpg

Taken from RK MAG

P. steenei, also known as Steene's dottyback or Lyretail dottyback, is the most aggressive member of the family. Scott Michael has even proclaimed that P. steenei is, "ounce for ounce, the meanest fish in the sea." The Steene's dottyback will reach a maximum five inches of unholy terror. From afar, they are a beautiful fish. The males have a yellowish-orange head and a grayish-brown body. Females are not as attractive with their dark gray body, yellow tail, and blue line behind their eye. What you cannot see from afar, however, you'll get to see frighteningly up close. P. steenei sports an impressive set of large teeth that extend out of the fishes mouth even when the mouth is closed! What makes this worse is the fish is aware of the damage it can do with the canine-like teeth and prefers to show you! In the original description of this fish by Dr. Anthony Gill and Dr. John Randall (1992), the authors are quoted as saying, "P. steenei and its close relatives appear to be highly territorial and aggressive. The second author's camera housing was bitten while photographing the holotype and paratype of P. steenei." In Scott Michael's recent release, "A Deadly Dottyback," he describes his best method for photographing P. steenei was focusing on his fingers and placing his glove covered hand in P. steenei's litter patch. The fish would dart out of it's home, attacking his fingers, and even shake the finger once in it's grasp. Once the fish released the finger it would often remain nearby and "sneer" at it's victim (Michael, Coralrealm). Some attitude! When diving you can find these fish in Indonesia and northern Australia around 100 feet deep, though they can be spotted as deep as 160 feet or as shallow as 25 feet. In the home aquarium they are intolerant of tank mates and will usually kill them, making a species tank a necessity.

Loralie
07/26/2006, 10:04 AM
My LFS has 2 of the P. steenei and they are very large for dottybacks and they have very large teeth for their size. They have them in with other fish and they don't seem to even notice their tankmates. They come out and glare at you when you walk past the tank though.

Ironsheikh
07/26/2006, 05:17 PM
I've read the splendid dottyback can get pretty mean + it gets big at like 8inches ---that's alot of attitude