PDA

View Full Version : 100g sump rubbermaid feeding trough

mcox
06/16/2006, 03:47 PM
People who have been using this for some time now...

Do you see any problems with having another container inside for a refugium?

How do you deal with microbubble problems as I'm not sure how you can minimize that without baffles.

Do you find you have cramping going on (not enough space) with a skimmer, refugium and return area using the feeding troughs?

Hammbone
06/17/2006, 07:31 AM
Bump

I'd like to hear about how to deal with microbubbles in a 100G rubbermaid myself. My refugium will be seperate though.

EQCM2B
06/17/2006, 07:40 AM
I saw a sump on here somewhere where someone had taken a bucket and placed it inside of the rubbermaid to act as a fuge. I'm not sure how it faired with the microbubbles though.

zapata41
06/17/2006, 11:13 AM
i use a feeding troff and have no problems with the micro bubbles. i have my two overflow lines dump into a small bucket, this small bucket also holds the skimmer feed pump and CA Rx effluent drip line, then the water,whats left after then feed pump takes its share, is overflowed via a 1" bulkhead down into the sump. i also have my skimmer and phosban reactor in the sump as well as the heater and probes. no crouding really at all. no bubbles ever make it back to the return pump but i do have other things like a DIY carbon canister on the skimmer return to catch all those bubbles. if you wanted a fuge you could simply get a small tank and set it ontop of the rubermaid, or just place it in a 5 gal bucket inside the sump and not worry about it.
well here is a pic to show that i have no crouding.
http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y175/zapata41/zoas3-22-06012.jpg

Tim

mcox
06/18/2006, 11:04 AM
One thing I've noticed with the bubbermaids is that they come with a built in bulkhead, but most people drill a hole on the end rather than the side for the return pump connection. However, the ends are kind of on an angle rather than completly flush. How is this resolved when installing bulkheads so that you don't get leaks? Also, any other ideas on microbubble control?

Hammbone
06/18/2006, 04:36 PM
Maybe you could use a uniseal instaed of a bulkhead?

http://www.aquaticeco.com/index.cfm/fuseaction/product.detail/iid/8600/cid/2009