PDA

View Full Version : Pregnant Peppermint shrimp or parasite??

jrw
06/16/2006, 04:17 PM
Just got 5 pep shrimp from a LFS, and one of them has a swelling on the side. They are still in the bag and I am getting ready to acclimate them, but I'm concerned that the swelling could be a parasite. But isn't that what an embryo is until its born? Maybe its pregnant? But from the side?

Has anyone seen this. My inclination is to quarantine it for now. Any suggestions?

I really need your advice or insight folks.

J.R.

http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wwilsonjrdds/detail?.dir=/35aere2&.dnm=c2a0re2.jpg

fishome25
06/16/2006, 04:36 PM
it is a parasitic isopod. nothing you can do, but it is safe to add the shrimp to your tank

jrw
06/16/2006, 04:58 PM
Should I take it back to the store?

mr pink floyd
06/16/2006, 05:34 PM
all i ssee are a few small peppermints

LeslieH
06/16/2006, 06:06 PM
It's a bopyrid isopod, parasitic as fishome25 said. The large lump is a female which may have dwarf males attached. I suggest taking it back to the store. You don't want this reproducing in your tank and infecting the other shrimp.

futrtrubl
06/16/2006, 06:06 PM
Well it's not pregnant, they keep eggs under the tail. Could be some endoparasite, whatever it is it's not normal. Take it back for a refund, no need to risk it.

Edward

Bret61081
06/16/2006, 06:46 PM
Search on here for it. There were directions on how you can remove it. Its between 2 layers of shell and if you have a steady hand you can cut it and puti t out and it will molt its outter shell....but I would just take it back to the store! Thats what I did...they suck the life out of the ltitle guys...

LeslieH
06/16/2006, 08:51 PM
There's a little more information here:
http://www.reefkeeping.com/issues/2002-05/rs/index.php

Removing the parasite will often cause more damage to the shrimp then just leaving it alone. I checked some references and you don't have to worry about your other shrimp being infected if you keep it. Turns out the bopyrid larvae first live in copepods then transfer to shrimp. Each species of bopyrid requires a certain species of copepod. It's quite likely that you don't have the right kind of copepod in your tank which means none of the juveniles (if there are any) will survive long enough to be a problem.

mr pink floyd
06/16/2006, 09:42 PM
ohhhhh ,the lump... missed that lol

fishome25
06/16/2006, 11:44 PM
yeah, leslie summed it up good. :)

jrw
06/17/2006, 06:36 AM
Thanks. I feel much better. Just to be safe I put in quarantine last night. Thanks for all of the great information. As always, very educational for me.