PDA

View Full Version : Opinions welcome on new tank setup

BeefnCheese
06/16/2006, 08:55 PM
Not totally new to the hobby, but i thought id start with a post here as my wife and I are now homeowners and are starting a 90g Reef tank.

Our first experience was based off of a LFS recomendations and little research on my part.. which I admit was not smart and not very common with me as well.. Include moving 5 times and the tank just did not hold up.

Now with some experience, a home, a better budget and a bit more knowledge we are going at it again.

This time we purchased a 90g AGA Reef Ready tank. I added an Oceanic stage 2 Sump with a Mag 9 return and an ASM G3 skimmer with the gate valve mod. For lighting we got the Coralife 4x65w PC setup with lunar lights (for the wife) Im not much of a DIY type guy but i managed to get all the plumbing done and no leaks. We had a custom stand and canopy made for us. Pics to come soon.

RODI water is in and water was brought up to 78*. Tonight Im adding in the salt and tomorrow will be around 80-100lbs of Live sand.

Some questions i had and was hoping to get a little help.

Would it be worth it to add in a few tunze streams early.. or wait until after the initial cycle? Live Rock- How many lbs for the tank and and recommended vendors (better quality rock, not too worried about price).

Inhabitants we were looking at stocking -
Anenome & Clown (possibly pair)
Emperor Angel Juv (too big for 90g?)
Powder Blue Tang
CBB (not sure about this one, just love the fish)

Im not too sure about crals per my lighting capabilities but defenitly Zoanthids, mushrooms and all the cleaning crew critters.

Sorta short list -- any other recomendations/subrtactions/comments

Thanks for all the help...

Been lurking for a little bit now..

Brent

crustin
06/16/2006, 09:01 PM
imo at least one pound per gallon - live rock, pourus

hawaiianwargod
06/17/2006, 12:03 AM
BeefnCheese
[welcome]

JRistau81
06/17/2006, 12:10 AM
I think the emporer would get too big. Now I think you still have plenty of room in your tank for several smaller fish. I too love CBB's make sure they are eating well at the store because they can be difficult to keep. I don't think you mentioned a skimmer. what are your plans for that, if any?

hairymushroom
06/17/2006, 12:31 AM
Jristeau, he said he bought an "ASM G3 skimmer", the angel will most likely munch any softy or lps coral you put in the tank, its also a bit too large.

BeefnCheese
06/17/2006, 01:24 AM
I was thinking the Angel might be a problem for its adult size and with corals...

Any thoughts on Live Rock? With the sand in tomorrow im ready for rock pretty much right away and let the cycle begin..

Was tossing around the idea of ordering a worms pkg from ipsf.com

Have a bit of time to put together the fish list/order.... Just through some out there that my wife and I had talked about as possibilities. What type of limitations am i looking at with sticking to the PC setup only?

Thanks again for any and all help

Brent