PDA

View Full Version : Attaching flex tube from return

Bluetooth
06/17/2006, 09:15 AM
I would like to add a section of flex tubing from my external return pump to reduce noise. Can flex tube be glued (PVC cement) into a slip type fitting (ball valve)? I am concerned that PVC cement will deteriorate flex tubing.

Thanks

BMitch
06/17/2006, 10:57 AM
Get a barbed fitting that matches your ball valve. Then just put a clamp on the tubing so it does not slide off. No need for glue.

On the other hand, if flex tube means CPVC, then you're going to have to glue into an adapter.

fishdave739
06/17/2006, 12:21 PM
if you are referring to spa-flex hose (white), it's pvc hose. Use a union and glue it with regular pvc primer and glue. No different than the hard pipe, just flexible.

Reefdrumz
06/17/2006, 10:12 PM
If you can find a PVC cement called "rain or shine" I would highly recommend it. It will hold in any situation.

Just buy a regular PVC connecter (preferably the deeper socket ones) and like everyone else said....prime and glue just like regular pvc.

Bluetooth
06/18/2006, 02:03 PM
So I can use PVC glue on this type of tubing:

www.plumbingstore.com/cleartubing.html (http://www.plumbingstore.com/cleartubing.html)

escape2theocean
06/18/2006, 07:45 PM
No, they're referring to "spaflex", its a type of rigid pvc that is somewhat flexible. The clear hose your link is showing needs a barb fitting and a clamp. Don't try to glue it.