PDA

View Full Version : tailspot blenny: no pix yet, but cute beyond all good taste

Sk8r
06/17/2006, 01:01 PM
Just got him yesterday, and today he's up and about noshing algae...I see one eye looking at me through some hole in the rock, a shy little scamper up onto a rock knoll, and gone again.

In the tank with him, amicably [well, except the ywg, who blusters] dartfish, chromis [1], court jester, 2 highfin gobies, mandarin.

Caution: extremely shy and might never even come out of hiding near more aggro type fish. Retreats from a fight, circles around and goes on eating algae, behavior like a lawnmower blenny, but less forthcoming. Do not get this fish if he will not have a quiet environment. Size: about 1 1/2 inches. Source: Foster & Smith.

Observed to eat: red algae and cyclopeeze.

Cuteness factor: over the top. 'Eyebrows', blush on cheeks and electric blue stripe from eye down side make his coy looks and head-ducks just way much.

I hope like everything he does well.

Rothie
06/17/2006, 08:33 PM
I have one in a 30G as a companion for my twin spot goby.Mine doesn't hide.He sits on a rock at the top of the tank between 2 corals waiting for me to feed the goby-I feed the goby 8-10 times a day.He is even prettier looking from the top down.The markings on the top of his head are incredible.Mine loves meaty foods and pellets.

Sk8r
06/17/2006, 09:04 PM
Mine is getting bolder as the day wears on. I'm gonna love this little guy. He took a few experimental noshes on my montipora and on a stylophora, then left them alone: I think they were things he'd never seen. But his belly is full now, and he's behaving himself. I have a lot of rockwork for him to go over. I love the head motion, as if he's nodding, or flirting.

Me No Nemo
06/17/2006, 09:23 PM
They are one of my favorite fish and great for nanos. Once he settles in he will probably be out and about most of the time. They are just adorable. Congrats! Marcye

kimbo39
06/17/2006, 10:15 PM
I've had one for 2 months now. At first he/she resisted eating live brine or garlic-enriched brine. Then all of a sudden he/she started eating the meaty treats and now can't get enough of them.

Sk8r
06/17/2006, 10:21 PM
Mine I suspect is eating the cyclopeeze I use for the rest of the tank...he was certainly snapping at the water. He's certainly stuffed now, a little puppy-tummy going on.

I'm so glad these little fishes have turned up in the trade. Here's hoping we figure how to breed them.